"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 08:40 PM   #31
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
Hugs, Kadesma, sounds like you are going through what my dearest mother is going through with her Mother. I remember telling my mother, it will all get better, and amazingly it has. My mother glows to just have the opportunity to help her mother, as her mother has helped her all the years before, albeit she has been through a few trials. The circle of life is a beautiful thing, be it visible or not... Blessings, and I am positive the DC family will be here for you and yours, also.

Old 11-03-2005, 09:20 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Thank you Shannon, you've lifted my spirits as have all my dc friends...hugs back..and for your mother and her mother...
kadesma

Old 11-03-2005, 09:22 PM   #33
Everymom

Ugh. kadesma, you win the prize today. (Although crewsk was pretty close!) It is no picnic dealing with aging parents and the driving issue. I think mish has hit it on the head, it is more about the independence thing than anything else.

I am sorry you have to go through that kadesma. Maybe you could insert in coversations that you have heard it is much cheaper to take taxis than to keep paying for car insurance?
Old 11-03-2005, 09:32 PM   #34
Executive Chef

A lot of us are going thru the same thing, I quess. My mom and dad are at the age when they should stop driving. I worry about my Mom the most. She has been in several fender benders but it's always the fault of the other drivers (so she says). I know exactly how you feel, kadesma.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:36 PM   #35

on a lighter not, wasabi, my grandmother has had a few fender benders herself... my mother called and said the grammy's front plate "God is my co-pilot" was never seen again after the last "oops"...
Old 11-03-2005, 09:46 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Not to take the venting spot light off of other bigger, more important issues...

My little vent for today (I'm not a big complainer by nature - I think ) is that our computer (hence forth called "pc") is sort of on the fritz. It's not all that new (DH bought it used from an old room-mate of his), and lately it's been refusing to load Windows, so we can't get to our desktops and therefore to the internet! I was pc-less for the better (figure of speech, I assure you!) part of the last two days! Everyone has computer issues at some point, my worry is just if it "goes to the big computer lab in the sky" for good...because I don't know how we'd find a way to get a new one! Guess we'll just take it one day at a time (who's a good pc? Yes you are, yes you are )

Many hugs to all those who vented today and who need a little extra strength to help them get through the day (week, month, etc)

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Old 11-03-2005, 09:56 PM   #37

Piccolina, are you saying I am not the only one that drops to my knees in thankfulness when my blessed computer behaves as I so "humilitously" request, day in, day out?!?!?!?! It is quite stressful when our PC, here in kindly within referred to thereof (cause we have to for some reason respect it), does not frickin' work!!!!!
Old 11-04-2005, 05:25 AM   #38
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mish
My cute UPS guy called me ma'am. I realize it's a term of respect, but it's a pet peeve. What happened to Miss?
I know... I hate it when someone DARES to call me "signora"... make me feel like a grandma!! I decided to pretend that I didn't realise they were calling out to me when this happens!
Old 11-04-2005, 07:33 AM   #39
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Well, I'm starting my morning off with a vent! (What a way to start a Friday! ) TC almost set the mirowave on fire this morning. He decided he was still hungry after eating cheese grits, 3 pieces of bacon, & 2 fried eggs so he put 2 bread sticks that hubby had brought home from a pizza place Wednesday in the microwave for 2 min & 50 seconds!! He & Savannah were sitting at the kitchen table & Savannah started saying "Um... TC, um... TC, um.... TC, the microwave is smoking." I ran into the kitchen just as hubby walked in & opened the microwave. The butter on the breadsticks had started to burn the papertowel they were on. Needless to say, my house stinks to high Heaven now!
Old 11-04-2005, 07:50 AM   #40
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by crewsk
Well, I'm starting my morning off with a vent! (What a way to start a Friday! ) TC almost set the mirowave on fire this morning. He decided he was still hungry after eating cheese grits, 3 pieces of bacon, & 2 fried eggs so he put 2 bread sticks that hubby had brought home from a pizza place Wednesday in the microwave for 2 min & 50 seconds!! He & Savannah were sitting at the kitchen table & Savannah started saying "Um... TC, um... TC, um.... TC, the microwave is smoking." I ran into the kitchen just as hubby walked in & opened the microwave. The butter on the breadsticks had started to burn the papertowel they were on. Needless to say, my house stinks to high Heaven now!
Lucky for TC that now he has his own scooter for a quick escape!!

But seriously that must have been a scare and those burned stink can't go away quickly enough!! (I hope you didn't have a problem with smoke alarm for an icing on top!!) Take a deep breath Crewsk, it is TGIF, I am sure things will get better!!