"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 11:54 AM   #4001
Master Chef

wow.......Texasgirl......if you sent me one I haven't gotten it.......calm down.......I hope to never be accused of sending a rude pm ........I pretty much do that in public where the site admins beat me up but they're nice about it..hahaha........I don't know about your computer (and I'm the LAST person to be consulting on computer-related issues) but the DC site has been a bit iffy these last few day,. too.......you are special here..........I always look forward from anything from you as we're native Bluebonnets from Texas..........it's okay........your feelings have been hurt...........it's a busy time of the year..........don't take this stuff personally :):)

Old 12-20-2008, 12:00 PM   #4002
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl View Post
Okay, to everyone that has responded negative or just didn't respond at all.
I asked for addresses to send cards to people I thought were nice and kind on here, THAT'S IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have never felt so hurt as to get 2 pm's from people that I thought about and made ME feel as though I were some sick freak for asking. I apologize and I ASSURE you , I will NEVER ask for your info again.
All that you had to do, was ignore the request or send one saying, thank you, but, I don't feel comfortable sharing that info, and I would have been 100% fine with that response. Rude pms were not needed. So, to the ones that I thought were kind on here and wanted to wish them a Merry Christmas and was made to feel so awful for doing so, I apologize for thinking of you.

that is very sad....its one thing to simply say you are not comfortable with giving out private info but to be nasty about it?? That is just uncalled for and I'm sorry texasgirl that others made you feel that way!

Old 12-20-2008, 12:03 PM   #4003
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
wow.......Texasgirl......if you sent me one I haven't gotten it.......calm down.......I hope to never be accused of sending a rude pm ........I pretty much do that in public where the site admins beat me up but they're nice about it..hahaha........I don't know about your computer (and I'm the LAST person to be consulting on computer-related issues) but the DC site has been a bit iffy these last few day,. too.......you are special here..........I always look forward from anything from you as we're native Bluebonnets from Texas..........it's okay........your feelings have been hurt...........it's a busy time of the year..........don't take this stuff personally :):)
My vent was about the mean pm's and making me feel disgusting for asking them. Not for ignoring or saying they are not comfortable. I have absolutely no problem with that at all. I just don't appreciate when one person sends me a pm about how there was no reason for me asking and how their husband is in the government and goes after cyber people, THEN, starts spreading her freaked out craziness to another and now has, what I think is an extremely nice person freaking out for giving me her address and making me feel horrible about it. Anyone that ignored or said they didn't feel comfortable, NICELY, is still in my thoughts and prayers for a wonderful Christmas.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:18 PM   #4004
Master Chef

goodness......I'm sorry, Texasgirl.......
Old 12-20-2008, 01:39 PM   #4005
Master Chef

More of a frustration than a vent. Some of you may know I am deaf and I depend on Closed captioning for tv and dvd. One show I watch regularly on Saturday "Cook's Country" is usually captioned... but today it is not... it is really frustrating not to be able to follow what people are saying in the show. I have emailed PBS to let them know about loss of captioning. It is difficult to lip read too especially if they are not facing the camera or they don't move their lips much when talking.
Old 12-20-2008, 01:43 PM   #4006
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
More of a frustration than a vent. Some of you may know I am deaf and I depend on Closed captioning for tv and dvd. One show I watch regularly on Saturday "Cook's Country" is usually captioned... but today it is not... it is really frustrating not to be able to follow what people are saying in the show. I have emailed PBS to let them know about loss of captioning. It is difficult to lip read too especially if they are not facing the camera or they don't move their lips much when talking.
I hope they respond to you quickly! I can only imagine how frustrating it is....
Isn't there special cable set-ups or such that gives all tv viewing closed captioning? I thought I had seen that somewhere...?

Old 12-20-2008, 01:45 PM   #4007
Master Chef

Quote:
you get em LadyC!!
Old 12-20-2008, 01:49 PM   #4008
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by deelady View Post
I hope they respond to you quickly! I can oly imagine how frustrating it is....
Isn't they special cable set-up or such that gives all tv viewing closed captioning? I thought I had seen that somewhere...?
my tv is closed captioned enabled . The problem is most likely the cable provider . What is strange PBS other channel 44 works but not channel 39 , only some programs. I've always been able to watch the cooking shows on channel 39 with captioning. It is very frustrating, I look forward to the shows on Saturdays, because we only have basic broadcast cable meaning we don't get other channels or other food shows.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:59 PM   #4009
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl View Post
Okay, to everyone that has responded negative or just didn't respond at all.
I asked for addresses to send cards to people I thought were nice and kind on here, THAT'S IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have never felt so hurt as to get 2 pm's from people that I thought about and made ME feel as though I were some sick freak for asking. I apologize and I ASSURE you , I will NEVER ask for your info again.
All that you had to do, was ignore the request or send one saying, thank you, but, I don't feel comfortable sharing that info, and I would have been 100% fine with that response. Rude pms were not needed. So, to the ones that I thought were kind on here and wanted to wish them a Merry Christmas and was made to feel so awful for doing so, I apologize for thinking of you.
This is the hardest part of the Internet for me, texasgirl. Not everyone is who they pretend to be. You meant well, try not to take it personally. Some people figure they'd rather be safe than sorry. As for the rudeness, chalk it up to the stress of the holidays and a bad economy. It is so much easier to take it out on an anonymous person online than one's loved ones. I see it all the time. I don't much like it, either. You just learned something new about those people, that is all.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:29 AM   #4010
Master Chef

Quote:
my tv is closed captioned enabled . The problem is most likely the cable provider . What is strange PBS other channel 44 works but not channel 39 , only some programs. I've always been able to watch the cooking shows on channel 39 with captioning. It is very frustrating, I look forward to the shows on Saturdays, because we only have basic broadcast cable meaning we don't get other channels or other food shows.
Unfortunately, there is more than one type of CC used (not sure exactly how many but my TV is 11 years old and has 5 on the menu I believe). You are probably right about it being on PBS's side, but just in case next time see if you have that option on your TV menu and then scroll thru the different types and see if one works?

Just a thought...