"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 04:42 PM   #4021
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanchoHambre View Post
I am going to have to spend 6 hours min in a car on xmas day to spend a max of 4 hours with family (2 different ones too). If I am "lucky" part of this time will coincide with the serving of a dismal buffet so I wont have to eat a sandwich in the car. x-mas eve when traditionally our good meal is served has been all but canceled and I am unable to go anyway because the "dogs make it too stressful" I have never been a big xmas fan but this one is shaping up especially crummy and if it would not make people angry I would just stay put and forget about it alltogether. My day is basically going to be an effort not to put my own grinchy feelings on the rest of the family. I am TRYING to focus on the good stuff but xmas frankly brings out the worst in me. I think next year I might just take off and go somewhere warm or find a pet friendly ski resort.
Awww, Pancho, I'm so sorry to hear you'll be in the car for so many hours on Christmas. No wonder you're not looking forward to it! I think you're a lovely person to do it at all - I'm not sure I'm that nice. Anyway, you will be in my thoughts and I hope something special and wonderful happens to you this season because you definitely deserve it. Big Hug to you and the dogs!

Old 12-22-2008, 05:40 PM   #4022
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieSusan View Post
Ever wish you could start your day over and go back to bed and put the covers over your head?
Yes, but unfortunately it is not possible. It helps to take a deep breath, have a break and go back to it with a fresher eye.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:01 PM   #4023
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
Awww, Pancho, I'm so sorry to hear you'll be in the car for so many hours on Christmas. No wonder you're not looking forward to it! I think you're a lovely person to do it at all - I'm not sure I'm that nice. Anyway, you will be in my thoughts and I hope something special and wonderful happens to you this season because you definitely deserve it. Big Hug to you and the dogs!
Pancho, maybe you will get lucky and get the flu you better get it at least by tommorow.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:49 AM   #4024
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdswife View Post
Susan... I thought you were having a good day...what happened??
Someone that is supposed to be helping me is an incredibly impossible person to deal with and causes me great stress. I think that he is both a bit jealous of me and feels guilty because I do more for my mother than he does for his. He knows how upset I am and yet, every time he calls me, I wind up crying.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:03 AM   #4025
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmcgrew View Post
Pancho, maybe you will get lucky and get the flu you better get it at least by tommorow.
LOL... I do have a wicked cold.... anyway I am not such a nice person... I guilt tripped so the dogs are coming with me on xmas eve now... they will probably misbehave... oh well my brothers kid is a brat and he's invited
Old 12-23-2008, 09:49 AM   #4026
Everymom

My very small and minor vent is that the home care aide who is supposed to give my Mom her meds seems to be more interested in her schedule than the times my Mom is supposed to get care. Mom ended up taking the wrong meds at the wrong time yesterday because she was left to her own devices. And she didn't get a meal prepped for her because instead of showing up after 430pm like she was supposed to, the aid was there before 330. A bit early for supper I think. Grrr.

Mom is fine, but I'm still a bit choked by all this mess. I'm settling down now. Thanks for letting me vent.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:57 AM   #4027
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
My very small and minor vent is that the home care aide who is supposed to give my Mom her meds seems to be more interested in her schedule than the times my Mom is supposed to get care. Mom ended up taking the wrong meds at the wrong time yesterday because she was left to her own devices. And she didn't get a meal prepped for her because instead of showing up after 430pm like she was supposed to, the aid was there before 330. A bit early for supper I think. Grrr.

Mom is fine, but I'm still a bit choked by all this mess. I'm settling down now. Thanks for letting me vent.
When my mom was home and I had some home healthcare workers for her, she would fire them constantly. One lied to me and said she took her to the doctors when the doctor called me and asked me why my mom never showed up. They mostly did nothing and sat around--they were suppose to do light housekeeping, feed her etc. I wound up still doing everything. So, eventually, I stopped using them.

So, I know exactly how you feel! Further, I thought things would get better once my mom went into a nursing home but she has recently informed me that a staff member has been mean to her, grabbed her and has hit her. I have her in what is suppose to be one of the nicest homes in Ohio. Grrrrrrrrr
Old 12-23-2008, 10:00 AM   #4028
Everymom

Its frustrating isn't it? My Mom doesn't want to be a bother to anyone so she allows stuff she shouldn't. Then it leads to this kind of garbage. BAH! I get to go be the bad guy right before Christmas to the home care agency. *Sigh*

I'm really pretty fortunate, I have good people in place to help Mom with most of it so I don't need to be there all the time. I'm just still struggling to balance my life/work and hers. So far, all the balls are still in the air...lets hope I can keep them there.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:05 AM   #4029
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Its frustrating isn't it? My Mom doesn't want to be a bother to anyone so she allows stuff she shouldn't. Then it leads to this kind of garbage. BAH! I get to go be the bad guy right before Christmas to the home care agency. *Sigh*

I'm really pretty fortunate, I have good people in place to help Mom with most of it so I don't need to be there all the time. I'm just still struggling to balance my life/work and hers. So far, all the balls are still in the air...lets hope I can keep them there.
I was forced to pay for a entire block of time even when I fired the aide who lied to me about the doctor's appointment. That really made me mad!

It is very hard to keep all the balls up in the air at the same time. Trying to be superwoman for a dozen years without taking good enough care of me made me very sick.

Be sure to take care of you, too! I didn't listen and I am paying for it now.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:21 AM   #4030
Everymom

Thanks PieSusan, I am fortunate enough to have a husband who makes darned SURE I look after myself. If I start to slip he is very firm about reining me in. I appreciate your words of wisdom and support. Thanks! Sometimes one can feel very alone in this situation.

Closed Thread