"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 10:38 AM   #4231
Head Chef

I am in school, and the teachers here seem to think it's O.K. for the students to use racial slurs, profanity, and homophobic slurs, even participating in the "fun." I am looked at as a stick in the mud or a grouch because the constant barrage of negativity is getting me down. I'm by no means a prude, having been around the block a few times before these students were even born, but gee whiz, I'm paying tuition for this? I left my home, family for this? I'm changing careers for this? I have spoken with one administrator about my experience here and am about to talk to another in the morning. It makes me sick. I've been told by the chefs that this is just how kitchens are... I reminded one that they may choose to run THEIR kitchen that way, but this is an educational setting, a community college, and this type of behavior is unacceptable. He just shrugged his shoulders...

Old 04-19-2009, 10:47 AM   #4232
Everymom

Stand your ground girl. You are doing the right thing. I'm sorry you have to put up with stuff like that in this day and age, but it just goes to show if we aren't vigilant then things will slide.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:12 PM   #4233
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Wyogal - There is no excuse for that kind of behavior in an educational setting NOR a commercial kitchen setting. Where is the level of respect? I agree with Alix; stand your ground!!! And it's not how "kitchens are."

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
Old 04-19-2009, 11:40 PM   #4234
Head Chef

Thank-you for your encouragement!!!!!!! It means a lot to me. I feel so isolated here. I'll let ya'll know how my meeting goes in the morning.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:34 AM   #4235
Everymom

*cheering from the sidelines* GO WYOGAL!!!
Old 04-28-2009, 02:29 PM   #4236
Master Chef

i'm ticked at one of my instructors. the class is so stressed. she is a great person, except she lays way too much work on us. we have a 7-page study guide! for a test tomorrow for wine-tasting class. now, 7 pages is too many. granted, she gave us 1.5 hours of classtime to work on it. that's not my complaint, though. she expects us to memorize those SEVEN pages of material!!!!!
too much info & it's not teaching us, it's teaching us to cram info only to lose that info. i usually LOVE tests. not her's!! also, they soooooo stress communication to us in kitchens class. well, in my classes, i have a test tomorrow in each. they need to communicate between themselves 'bout test days!! plus, a very complicated wine research project is due.
i hate not to be on the dean's list next semester over a wine-tasting course. half the class failed her last test & i got my 1st non-"A". i got a "D"!
she tries, & emphasizes the amount of time she spends putting information together for us, & i appreciate her. not so much at once, thosugh, teach!

-luvs
Old 04-28-2009, 04:43 PM   #4237
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs View Post
i'm ticked at one of my instructors. the class is so stressed. she is a great person, except she lays way too much work on us. we have a 7-page study guide! for a test tomorrow for wine-tasting class. now, 7 pages is too many. granted, she gave us 1.5 hours of classtime to work on it. that's not my complaint, though. she expects us to memorize those SEVEN pages of material!!!!!
too much info & it's not teaching us, it's teaching us to cram info only to lose that info. i usually LOVE tests. not her's!! also, they soooooo stress communication to us in kitchens class. well, in my classes, i have a test tomorrow in each. they need to communicate between themselves 'bout test days!! plus, a very complicated wine research project is due.
i hate not to be on the dean's list next semester over a wine-tasting course. half the class failed her last test & i got my 1st non-"A". i got a "D"!
she tries, & emphasizes the amount of time she spends putting information together for us, & i appreciate her. not so much at once, thosugh, teach!

-luvs
luvs,
just study and do the best you can..I know you are very bright and can do this. Don't get upset it will only make the test drag and harder to deal with. Relax and go for it..I know you can. you can.
hugs,
kades
Old 04-28-2009, 05:15 PM   #4238
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
luvs,
just study and do the best you can..I know you are very bright and can do this. Don't get upset it will only make the test drag and harder to deal with. Relax and go for it..I know you can. you can.
hugs,
kades
thanks, kades.
i've studied since 12:30..... letting myself take a few minutes to post & go outside.
ugh, i so wanna go to a dean, & i can't bring myself to. the instructor is too kind a lady, & she tries.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:43 PM   #4239
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs View Post

-luvs
Good luck on your tests. Just go in there and show 'em what ya know about wine tasting......

Old 04-28-2009, 10:48 PM   #4240
Chef Extraordinaire

i am sick of the water being turned off in this mobile park. happening far to often. does no good to complain. not like we can go somewhere else. it is bad enough when they warn us, but not today. just gone for four hours. thanks for the vent.