"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 10:26 PM   #4261
Head Chef

I use carbonitedotcom to backup my hard drive. It costs about $50 a year, but after the initial backup, it backs up everything automatically throughout the day. I lost my hard drive a few months ago and got EVERYTHING back, including more that 12,000 photos. I was SO happy.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:18 PM   #4262
Master Chef

Please, if you know someone who has had a child die, don't say to them "I couldn't live if my child died". I know it is hard to know the right thing to say, but, don't say that. My son died in January and I have had two people say this to me. How do they think this makes me feel. Do they think I can bear it? Please, just say, I am so sorry. I am not mad at these people but I was at a lost for words.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:23 PM   #4263
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post
Please, if you know someone who has had a child die, don't say to them "I couldn't live if my child died". I know it is hard to know the right thing to say, but, don't say that. My son died in January and I have had two people say this to me. How do they think this makes me feel. Do they think I can bear it? Please, just say, I am so sorry. I am not mad at these people but I was at a lost for words.
People all react to something like this sometimes in ways that shock and offend us. Death is hard to accept so we say the first thing that pop's into our minds. I've learned to just look into the persons eyes and if I know them well I put my arms around them and hold them. I say I'm sorry and just hold their hand.I know it hurts you deeply when this is said, i would just quietly walk away. If asked why, I would say in a low voice, that I felt the statement was foolish and hurtful. To you I say, I'm so sorry, may peace come to you one day and sorrow be a thing of the past, but sweet memories forever be in your heart and mind.
cj
Old 05-10-2009, 07:32 PM   #4264
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoAnn L. View Post

I am sorry for your loss. I can only imagine how raw your feelings are at this point. That type of loss is deep, and everyone must go through the grieving process in their own way and manner.

I also agree it isn't the thoughtlessness that prompted these people to say that. Who knows what to say at a time like now to you?

All I can do is empathize with you, and hope your support chain (family & friends) is helping you to cope with the feelings you must be experiencing.

I wish you all the best in your time of need.

Bob
Old 05-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #4265
Head Chef

JoAnn, I have never lost a child, but my lovely daughter made a serious suicide attempt a little over a year ago. I lived in panic for months, wondering if she would find the will to stay with us. I cannot imagine your pain and I can only say that I am so sorry for your loss. People do say unimaginably stupid things with the best of intentions, without thinking. I hope your wounded heart finds peace.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:22 PM   #4266
Master Chef

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts and words. It means alot to me.
Old 05-10-2009, 08:37 PM   #4267
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I'm so sorry for your loss, JoAnn. There is no way I can understand because I haven't "been there."

However, after Buck's death, I was amazed at how unthinking people could be. I could hardly believe some of the things they said to me. Some wanted to know if I'd removed my wedding ring yet or if I'd gotten rid of his clothes. What?!!

Just try to stand strong and let those awful comments slide into the abyss where they belong.

You can always come here for support. THAT I know!!
Old 05-11-2009, 09:16 AM   #4268
Master Chef

Reinstalling software is annoying especially when I have to reactivate it again and it won't reactivate because it is on a new computer so I have to contact the software maker to help. I know they do this activation to protect their work from piracy and I respect that.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:58 PM   #4269
Chef Extraordinaire

when reading the sunday paper, i thought why all the ads for a market here. i counted them, got 69 copies of the same ad. 69, somewhere a tree is falling. i did call the paper and was told a machine puts the ad inserts in paper. they are sorry

took five phone calls this am to talk without a human being. the up shot was they will look into it.
Old 05-11-2009, 06:39 PM   #4270
Master Chef

i went to the doctor today. i have strep throat. while i was there he asked for a urine sample. i was told i have blood in my urine and need an ultra sound, the won't tell me what it could be!! this makes me even more upset.