"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 03:26 PM   #4461
Master Chef

*rant* at PBS fund raising. They have this fund raising about 3 weeks long! I wouldn't mind except they don't have my favorite shows on during those 3 weeks. PBS is the only station I watch , I can't stand other stations with their yucky shows. So I guess I will have to go to the library and get some books and DVDs. My library has 7 movies for 7 days deal. If I can find decent 7 movies that would be a miracle. I won't watch PG and other bad rated stuff so there is not much options there, also the movie has to be closed captioned for me since I am hearing impaired.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:15 AM   #4462
Head Chef

O.K., so I'm a bit emotional...
My husband, son, bro-in-law and nephew are out on a huge backpacking trip. The nephew is injured, feet covered in bloody blisters and something wrong with his achilles. They are exiting to the nearest trailhead/campground. When this happened, they were 15 miles away from an exit. They figured it would take them 4 days to get out because of the complications due to this injury. My sis-in-law are in different towns, but will meet at a turn-off on the highway, then continue in a two-car caravan to the site. We don't know the area, and I am quite nervous about the whole thing.
Heres the vent: I stopped by my church to ask for prayer from the pastor. He was too busy, couldn't even take one minute. He emailed me later, asked what I wanted on Sunday's prayer... I replied that that the guys needed prayers NOW, and gave him the details. He responded a day later (yesterday), mostly explaining that he was on his way to a meeting (justifying his busy-ness) and I could call him. NOT.
I also asked for prayers from gals that are in a bible study (that I started 2 years ago) that I attend. NO RESPONSE. One of them had expressed something on her facebook (about something she was going through), and I gave her support. I also sent a PM asking if she had seen my earlier prayer request, explained the situation. NO RESPONSE.
I'm so gullible and naive. Thinking these people cared. I really don't want to leave my church, for theological reasons, but sheesh....
Well, that's my rant.
I'm cleaning house today, will take off early in the morning to go do the rescue.

Old 07-30-2009, 11:29 AM   #4463
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
Cooking school vent: here's the turd frosting on a sh*t cake:
I just found out that our CARES tests that we took in our Bar and Bev. class were NEVER submitted for certification.
I've emailed the instructor, dean of students, as well as placed a phone call to the dean with this information. I was wondering about the results, so contacted the American Hotel and Lodging Ed Inst. directly and they told me that they have received NOTHING from that college or instructor.
This is one of many reasons I quit church a long time ago, Main reason there is a few stories I couldn't swallow, Anyways I'm sorry for what your going through and I hope everything turns out for you!

The best of luck Wyogal.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:30 PM   #4464
Master Chef

Hope your nephew pulls out of this fine Wyogal. I can't imagine how agonizing this must be for him with no immediate help.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:50 PM   #4465
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
*rant* at PBS fund raising. They have this fund raising about 3 weeks long! I wouldn't mind except they don't have my favorite shows on during those 3 weeks. PBS is the only station I watch , I can't stand other stations with their yucky shows. So I guess I will have to go to the library and get some books and DVDs. My library has 7 movies for 7 days deal. If I can find decent 7 movies that would be a miracle. I won't watch PG and other bad rated stuff so there is not much options there, also the movie has to be closed captioned for me since I am hearing impaired.
I don't watch much tv myself.It's gotten just a little too raunchy for my tastes. Kind of stupid to have satellite,and only watch only 4channels..But I have to pay for a package to get my TCM,Food Network,History Channel,and Discovery.

You might like TCM (Turner Classic Movies). TCM Turner Classic Movies
They show nothing but great movies as they were intended to be seen.Non stop,no commercial interruptions.
Robert Osbourne is the night time host.He's a fantastic Narrator.It's not showtime if you miss his introduction about the up coming movie.The little things you find out about :)
But anyways TCM does have a monthly schedule.Find your movie,or request one.
Tonight's showing: Wuthering Heights (Love those Bronte' Sisters)
Gone With The Wind.

You could start recording your favorites.Build your owm classic library.

Munky.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:32 PM   #4466
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Munky View Post
I don't watch much tv myself.It's gotten just a little too raunchy for my tastes. Kind of stupid to have satellite,and only watch only 4channels..But I have to pay for a package to get my TCM,Food Network,History Channel,and Discovery.

You might like TCM (Turner Classic Movies). TCM Turner Classic Movies
They show nothing but great movies as they were intended to be seen.Non stop,no commercial interruptions.
Robert Osbourne is the night time host.He's a fantastic Narrator.It's not showtime if you miss his introduction about the up coming movie.The little things you find out about :)
But anyways TCM does have a monthly schedule.Find your movie,or request one.
Tonight's showing: Wuthering Heights (Love those Bronte' Sisters)
Gone With The Wind.

You could start recording your favorites.Build your owm classic library.

Munky.

I would if I could, TCM is not part of the basic cable.
Old 07-31-2009, 11:37 AM   #4467
Assistant Cook

Crewsk,
Those scorpion stings do hurt, we used to have scorpions when we lived out in the country in Okla. I would make a paste with baking soda and a little water and put it on the sting and it would quit hurting right away. Also on fire ant stings you can use window cleaning spray and it quits stinging, sounds funny but does work.

You had a tough day, hang in there. So far so good for me.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:57 AM   #4468
Sous Chef

Kathy - Any updates on your Nephew and the backpacking trip?

Bob
Old 08-02-2009, 08:26 AM   #4469
Head Chef

Thanks. Yes, they got out, picked them up on Friday. The blisters are healing. He needs to figure out how to buy hiking boots that fit properly.
It was kind of weird. While I was sitting at the rest stop, waiting for my sis-in-law, the owner of a huge out of state Harley dealership was killed on that road. We thankfully missed the whole thing, but prayers go out to all involved.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:27 PM   #4470
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
OK, inspired by Brooksy's bad day yesterday I thought I would post this thread for folks to vent those petty things that make us nuts.

Mine is sewing related. My thread keeps breaking, my bobbin ran out and when I tried to refill it the stupid thing went flying somewhere across the room and the thread wound around the post instead. ARGH! So, I am here for a few minutes to regain my composure and stop swearing at the machine.

Oh boy do I hear you about that. I just brought my machine in for an over haul, the dang thread kept getting caught in the bobbin somehow and it was beginning to look like a spider web. I was not a happy sewer. I haven't used the machine since I got it fixed, I hope it works!