"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-09-2009, 09:26 PM   #4471
Everymom
 
Alix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 23,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoZee View Post
Oh boy do I hear you about that. I just brought my machine in for an over haul, the dang thread kept getting caught in the bobbin somehow and it was beginning to look like a spider web. I was not a happy sewer. I haven't used the machine since I got it fixed, I hope it works!
Ooooooo. Good luck! I personally think my machine is possessed. I haul it out every so often and every single time I do I end up swearing at it like a sailor. Sigh. I have such a guttermouth.
__________________

__________________
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix
Alix is offline  
Old 08-11-2009, 05:09 PM   #4472
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Ooooooo. Good luck! I personally think my machine is possessed. I haul it out every so often and every single time I do I end up swearing at it like a sailor. Sigh. I have such a guttermouth.
I swear these machines could insight a riot!
__________________

__________________
"We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons."

Alfred E. Newman
JoZee is offline  
Old 08-11-2009, 07:19 PM   #4473
Chef Extraordinaire
 
babetoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: escondido, calif. near san diego
Posts: 14,349
it really pays to have sewing machine serviced every once in a while. especially as it get older. i have used the same sewing machine for twenty years. have it serviced about twice a year. even if nothing wrong, they clean out the parts we can't do. lint, thread , dust. you will learn to love it again.
__________________
"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline  
Old 08-11-2009, 08:07 PM   #4474
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
it really pays to have sewing machine serviced every once in a while. especially as it get older. i have used the same sewing machine for twenty years. have it serviced about twice a year. even if nothing wrong, they clean out the parts we can't do. lint, thread , dust. you will learn to love it again.

That's good advice, I am going to do that too. It seems even though I hadn't used the machine much since the last servicing it needed it again. Dust is usually a problem here in the high desert.
__________________
"We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons."

Alfred E. Newman
JoZee is offline  
Old 08-11-2009, 11:56 PM   #4475
Sous Chef
 
Chile Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winter Park Fl, Or Bust!
Posts: 853
Is this a rant thread as well?

Anyways I am not venting but I am ranting, Why is it so hard to pick a college that your going to spend 4+ years at? I've choosen about 6 colleges and each time I've choose a college it's gets harder to pick where I want to live.


I know I want to live in the southern states where there is no snow during the winter and Once I move I'm done moving.


Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
__________________
Chile Chef is offline  
Old 08-12-2009, 12:54 PM   #4476
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chile Chef View Post
Is this a rant thread as well?

Anyways I am not venting but I am ranting, Why is it so hard to pick a college that your going to spend 4+ years at? I've chosen about 6 colleges and each time I've choose a college it's gets harder to pick where I want to live.


I know I want to live in the southern states where there is no snow during the winter and Once I move I'm done moving.


Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

I can understand that this sort of decision has to be one that you want to make sure you get it right the first time. I have lived here going on 8 years now, so thought I'd share this with you.

You mentioned living in the southern states. Do you mind the humidity? I ask because I live in Albuquerque and we don't generally get any. We do get a lot of dry heat during the summer. This year it has been extreme. We have had 2.6 inches of rain since January and sun every single day. I heard the sun shines 325 days a year here, I think this year that was true. The temperatures have been very hot, hotter then usual this summer, so if you like the heat you'll love this area. As of yet, we haven't had a monsoon season this summer. There is generally no snow here, although we did get some in 2006, but I was told that was very unusual. We might get a dusting or two through out the winter but nothing much. The winters are chilly, but with the hot sun it does tend to warm up during the day, sometimes up to 50'F. So that's something to consider. Some parts of the state got a lot of rain but not Albuquerque. All in all the weather is fairly stable, no tornadoes at least.

If you are a Mexican food lover this would be the place to come. With the University of New Mexico (as well as all sorts of colleges) here; there are all sorts of restaurants you have to choose from. The food shopping is good...we have Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and conventional super markets like Smith's and Albertsons. Also there are lots of fast food joints if you eat that sort of stuff as well. There is a fairly good bus system and the streets are getting more bike lanes all the time, though this is generally not a pedestrian friendly city.

There are a few wonderful attractions, the Albuquerque Aquarium, Albuquerque Zoo and Bio Park.

We also have the Albuquerque International Sunport. That's our airport and is a really nice one, not too big and it's easy to find your way to your plane with little trouble.

There aren't any big lakes around here. So if you're into swimming you might want to check into the public swimming pools. There are several around the city. There is Tingly Beach but you can't swim there, just fish.
Tingley Beach - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The entertainment is good and Albuquerque is fast becoming a place where many movies are made. I think California is moving east! So these are just some of the things that go on here.
__________________
"We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons."

Alfred E. Newman
JoZee is offline  
Old 08-12-2009, 04:39 PM   #4477
Sous Chef
 
Chile Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winter Park Fl, Or Bust!
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoZee View Post
I can understand that this sort of decision has to be one that you want to make sure you get it right the first time. I have lived here going on 8 years now, so thought I'd share this with you.

You mentioned living in the southern states. Do you mind the humidity? I ask because I live in Albuquerque and we don't generally get any. We do get a lot of dry heat during the summer. This year it has been extreme. We have had 2.6 inches of rain since January and sun every single day. I heard the sun shines 325 days a year here, I think this year that was true. The temperatures have been very hot, hotter then usual this summer, so if you like the heat you'll love this area. As of yet, we haven't had a monsoon season this summer. There is generally no snow here, although we did get some in 2006, but I was told that was very unusual. We might get a dusting or two through out the winter but nothing much. The winters are chilly, but with the hot sun it does tend to warm up during the day, sometimes up to 50'F. So that's something to consider. Some parts of the state got a lot of rain but not Albuquerque. All in all the weather is fairly stable, no tornadoes at least.

If you are a Mexican food lover this would be the place to come. With the University of New Mexico (as well as all sorts of colleges) here; there are all sorts of restaurants you have to choose from. The food shopping is good...we have Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and conventional super markets like Smith's and Albertsons. Also there are lots of fast food joints if you eat that sort of stuff as well. There is a fairly good bus system and the streets are getting more bike lanes all the time, though this is generally not a pedestrian friendly city.

There are a few wonderful attractions, the Albuquerque Aquarium, Albuquerque Zoo and Bio Park.

We also have the Albuquerque International Sunport. That's our airport and is a really nice one, not too big and it's easy to find your way to your plane with little trouble.

There aren't any big lakes around here. So if you're into swimming you might want to check into the public swimming pools. There are several around the city. There is Tingly Beach but you can't swim there, just fish.
Tingley Beach - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The entertainment is good and Albuquerque is fast becoming a place where many movies are made. I think California is moving east! So these are just some of the things that go on here.
Hi Jo, May I call you Jo for short?



The reason I want a southern state is for the humility, I've noticed every time I go from the northern states to the southern states I can breath better, I can do everything better, and I've gone to the southern states long enough I can tell from experience.


I can actually walk 2-3 miles longer for some reason I'm not as tired as I would be in a northern state, So I've decided that the big move is going to be a southern state I am Familiar with and that would be Florida, I just hope I get to see a lot of gators, bugs, and others I'm interested in for black & white photography. Right now I've picked Winter Park Fl, It has everything I want in a town and in college.



By the way Jo, Thank you very much about the tips for Mexican food, That will be another consideration. but with the swine flu still going, I'm not sure Texas/Mexico would be the right state/towns since that's where it originated from.
__________________
Chile Chef is offline  
Old 08-12-2009, 05:43 PM   #4478
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chile Chef View Post
Hi Jo, May I call you Jo for short?



The reason I want a southern state is for the humility, I've noticed every time I go from the northern states to the southern states I can breath better, I can do everything better, and I've gone to the southern states long enough I can tell from experience.


I can actually walk 2-3 miles longer for some reason I'm not as tired as I would be in a northern state, So I've decided that the big move is going to be a southern state I am Familiar with and that would be Florida, I just hope I get to see a lot of gators, bugs, and others I'm interested in for black & white photography. Right now I've picked Winter Park Fl, It has everything I want in a town and in college.



By the way Jo, Thank you very much about the tips for Mexican food, That will be another consideration. but with the swine flu still going, I'm not sure Texas/Mexico would be the right state/towns since that's where it originated from.

Certainly you may call me Jo, all my friends do...

Well I am glad that you have decided on one of the southern states you will be happy in. I've never been to Florida myself, but would love to see it some day, and I am sure you will find some good eats in Florida as well. I hear Cuban food is pretty tasty too.

Good Luck, I hope you will have a wonderful time and education while there.
__________________
"We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons."

Alfred E. Newman
JoZee is offline  
Old 08-12-2009, 05:52 PM   #4479
Sous Chef
 
Chile Chef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winter Park Fl, Or Bust!
Posts: 853
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoZee View Post
Certainly you may call me Jo, all my friends do...

Well I am glad that you have decided on one of the southern states you will be happy in. I've never been to Florida myself, but would love to see it some day, and I am sure you will find some good eats in Florida as well. I hear Cuban food is pretty tasty too.

Good Luck, I hope you will have a wonderful time and education while there.
Thank you Jo, You know what? I've never had Cuban but I can give it a try, I always love to try new food but my forte is Mexican / Texmex food though.

But I'm curious though, Why can I breath better in a humid state? and can do everything better in a southern state?
__________________
Chile Chef is offline  
Old 08-12-2009, 06:00 PM   #4480
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Mexico
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chile Chef View Post
Thank you Jo, You know what? I've never had Cuban but I can give it a try, I always love to try new food but my forte is Mexican / Texmex food though.

But I'm curious though, Why can I breath better in a humid state? and can do everything better in a southern state?
You know I have no clue, usually people find it harder to breath in humidity as opposed to the dry climates. I don't know why the south works better for you then the north either, it's a mystery to me.
__________________

__________________
"We are living in a world today where lemonade is made from artificial flavors and furniture polish is made from real lemons."

Alfred E. Newman
JoZee is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.