"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 07:33 PM   #4611
Senior Cook

Talking Glad things worked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
thank you for caring sweetie.
You're very welcome. I find that type of behavior unacceptable. I'm glad things worked out :)

Alfred E. Newman
Old 10-15-2009, 09:21 AM   #4612
Head Chef

So, in the news: low test scores. At what point do we look into the eyes of the public and say "We expect more from you. We expect that your children will behave and do their homework?" The plates of teachers and schools are full. There has been a shift of expecting students to do the work to an expectation of teachers and schools to entertain the students, and hand out grades. Throwing money at schools is not the answer. EXPECTING students to earn their grades through hard work is what is called for. Maybe they need to be less involved with organized after school activities, be allowed to play on their own, then come in , sit at the table and DO THE WORK. I find it interesting that schools that require parental involvement, that require homework, and have consequences for not doing it, for inappropriate behaviors, are the schools that have higher test scores.
go figure.

Old 10-15-2009, 09:57 AM   #4613
Master Chef

My car will not shift out of park and no brake lights. hubby is waiting for either my son or my brother in law to help check it out. Meanwhile I hestitate to travel with no brake lights. The only way to get the car to shift out of park , is to turn key on but not start the car, shift to neutral then start car. arrrgh !
Old 10-15-2009, 10:08 AM   #4614
Head Chef

I would not be driving it in the current condition. Will it take being rear-ended (because the person behind you doesn't see that you are braking) in order for it to be fixed?

Old 10-15-2009, 10:45 AM   #4615
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
So, in the news: low test scores. At what point do we look into the eyes of the public and say "We expect more from you. We expect that your children will behave and do their homework?" The plates of teachers and schools are full. There has been a shift of expecting students to do the work to an expectation of teachers and schools to entertain the students, and hand out grades. Throwing money at schools is not the answer. EXPECTING students to earn their grades through hard work is what is called for. Maybe they need to be less involved with organized after school activities, be allowed to play on their own, then come in , sit at the table and DO THE WORK. I find it interesting that schools that require parental involvement, that require homework, and have consequences for not doing it, for inappropriate behaviors, are the schools that have higher test scores.
go figure.
I have ranted about this for years. No one listens and if they "hear" you nothing gets done. People are so hung up on-being PC and not hurting any feelings that our children in the long run are going to suffer because they will be stupid.
The FCAT tests are a good place to start. The tests are in the basics that the kids should know for their grade level. They're taken throughout the child's school years. Last year a senior here in my county took it and failed, therefore was not allowed to graduate. He was allowed a certificate of completion but, not a diploma. His father wrote a letter to the editor complaining that now med school was on hold for him.
Personally, I don't want a doctor that can't read or do basic math.

What the H*** is going on with our country that the kids can't read, write or do the basics but can sure play sports???
Old 10-15-2009, 10:54 AM   #4616
Head Chef

When I was teaching music, I had very high standards. We were constantly being told by the administration to raise the bar, have high expectations. We were told to incorporate reading and writing in all classes. But then, behind closed doors, they told me to lighten up, make it fun, my expectations were too high. I sat in on many meetings where the parents whine and complain about the work being too hard (other subject areas) and teachers were "picking" on their kids, because we expected them to not be disruptive and to do the work. Most of the time, the administration caved to the parent and their "right" to have ornery, ignorant children. and teachers were told to ease up.
I quit.
I may be going back as a sub, but then, I'll be working for teachers and kids, not the principals. I can also pick and choose which school/classes to go to.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:26 AM   #4617
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyogal View Post
When I was teaching music, I had very high standards. We were constantly being told by the administration to raise the bar, have high expectations. We were told to incorporate reading and writing in all classes. But then, behind closed doors, they told me to lighten up, make it fun, my expectations were too high. I sat in on many meetings where the parents whine and complain about the work being too hard (other subject areas) and teachers were "picking" on their kids, because we expected them to not be disruptive and to do the work. Most of the time, the administration caved to the parent and their "right" to have ornery, ignorant children. and teachers were told to ease up.
I quit.
I may be going back as a sub, but then, I'll be working for teachers and kids, not the principals. I can also pick and choose which school/classes to go to.
I admire you for trying but, feel sorry for you at the same time.
Why is it that the parents will settle for less instead of wanting the best for their children? Mine would have said "yes! Pick on her until she gets it!"
Who wants a dumb kid?
Old 10-15-2009, 10:03 PM   #4618
Chef Extraordinaire

got my hair cut. there is a von's market so went to pick up a few things. i almost froze my buns off . it was so cold in there that my hands were like ice by the time i got out. i might have stayed longer and spent more if it had not been so cold. when i commented on it, the clerk just rolled her eyes. won't go there again.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:18 PM   #4619
Master Chef

my cd/dvd drive is shot (it keeps popping open even with no disc in there. and when i put in a disc to install software it keeps popping open) so i have to send my laptop to texas to be fixed. i probably will not get it back for 3 - 4 weeks!! first my oven then my car. i think the electric coming into my house is lower than it should be because my appliances don't seem to have enough power and now my puter!! jeeeeeeeeeeeeeez i am gonna hide in a cave!! not sure how often i will be online till i get my laptop back. may not be able to post pics either till i get the laptop back. i need to find a shipping box, bubble wrap and tape (should i go to the post office for them?) so i can ship it tomorrow. maybe i'll get it back by thanksgiving. maybe
Old 10-22-2009, 10:25 AM   #4620
Senior Cook

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
my cd/dvd drive is shot (it keeps popping open even with no disc in there. and when i put in a disc to install software it keeps popping open) so i have to send my laptop to texas to be fixed. i probably will not get it back for 3 - 4 weeks!! first my oven then my car. i think the electric coming into my house is lower than it should be because my appliances don't seem to have enough power and now my puter!! jeeeeeeeeeeeeeez i am gonna hide in a cave!! not sure how often i will be online till i get my laptop back. may not be able to post pics either till i get the laptop back. i need to find a shipping box, bubble wrap and tape (should i go to the post office for them?) so i can ship it tomorrow. maybe i'll get it back by thanksgiving. maybe
I'm so sorry msmofet, this is a definite case of it doesn't rain it pours! There must be something besides the flu going around... my fridge went a few weeks back. It was a Maytag and only 7 years old. It was one of those with the freezer in the bottom, not a cheap one by any means. I now have a good used one, at least it works. I had my wall stove replaced last week, the old one didn't heat up worth a dang. The one I have is a used one, but it works. Then....my daughter has pneumonia and is very sick. A few weeks ago my dad ended up in the hospital with "they don't know what happened to him" symptoms. I hear you sometimes things just seem to go wrong. Let's hope things get better for both of us. I think we are due!!!

Alfred E. Newman
Closed Thread