"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 10:54 AM   #471
Executive Chef

Errrm, the 'clue' might be in my name?

Why would a natural red-head like me want to try out black hair, I wonder?

Old 09-14-2006, 11:55 AM   #472
Everymom

Dina, so glad that you didn't have to sit down with Justin again. Its tough to let them slog through it all on their own. We're with you girl. Stand tough and let him make his own mistakes and suffer the consequences, its hard, but he won't learn anything otherwise. You are such a good Mom and he is so lucky to have you.

middie, that royally blows. I'm so sorry that happened to you. Think 'what goes around comes around' at those miscreants and hopefully they will get their comeuppance.

Brooksy! I have missed you on the boards! Glad to see you here, sorry to hear about your cooking woes. It will turn around, we all go through spots of that where NOTHING works.

Old 09-14-2006, 06:12 PM   #473
Master Chef

my hair was brown till recently, ish, tee-hee. Lord decided my tresses were gonna be black thereafter.
brooksy! horray! missed you!
Old 09-14-2006, 06:15 PM   #474
Executive Chef

I don't suppose this is actually venting, but it does seem that things began to pile up today. The traction light on my car came on and when I braked, got a weird noise, so we had to take the car to the shop. Then I found where a bug had been in my bathroom and we can't find him.....Then when I started to take a bath, the water in the shower wasn't draining well. I can't complain since things had rocked along so well for quite a while, but it is strange that they all cropped up on the same day. They couldn't find anything wrong with my car even after hooking it up to the computer so they only charged me $25 for looking. I suppose I will know before long if there is really a problem.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:22 PM   #475
Head Chef

Dina - I once nailed a notice on my son's door that said the room had been condemned by the health department! He was a disinterested student regardless of threats, bribes, groundings..etc. Only time he got a 3.0 was when I told him not Driver's license unless. That worked. His grades did not qualify him for college - we told him we would not pay tuition unless his grades were above 3.5.

He enlisted in the Marines. A MAJOR shock! In fact my MIL who was about to visit Switzerland commented that he would be washed out of the Marines before she returned from Switzerland!

This was the kid who never failed to kiss me goodbye even in front of his friends! He also served proudly and was discharged a different person. He put himself through college with a 4.0 GPA then he put himself through Graduate School with a 4.0 GPA. His delightful wife was a wonderful influence, I might add. He is now a Marriage and Family Therapist with his own practice and teaches Psychology at a private high school. My darling grand-daughter is 2 and he is a wonderful father.

Clearly the Marines were just what he needed.

2 in Or
Old 09-14-2006, 10:29 PM   #476
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Middie,
I'm terribly sorry for the loss. But if you put it in a different perspective, you are safe. Some thieves don't care if they have to hurt people. Material things can be replaced and I hope you find no other damages.

Brooksy,
Thanks for the pick me up words. I don't care for Dr. Phil either. LOL

Luvs,
I'm with you on the hair color; I know how you feel. I did it once and once was enough. Found a few (will not mention how much) grey hair on me the other day, I nearly flipped. I will refuse to color my hair until it's an absolute EMERGENCY.

Alix,
Thanks for your words girl. I will stand tough on this little guy. And guess what? He forgot his Social Studies book to finish his homework today! Ha ha Hey, but something good did happen today. He got put back in his tight end position in football. He proved to the coach he could work harder. He decided to go to bed early cause he asked me to drop him off early at school to get to his book right away. Good boy, good for him. I know he can do this, it's just a matter of time and lots and lots of prayers. Thank you.

Licia,
You're not alone. My odometer is going nuts on my mini-van. Sometimes I don't even know what speed I'm up to. Darn it! And my son's shower has been leaking from the ceiling for a while now. We are waiting for payday to get a blumber up here.

Linda,
It's nice to hear that boys DO change. Thanks for sharing your story. I know that the Marines, or any other military branch, can change a person. It did it for my husband! He is a former Marine, disciplined, tough and the whole nine yards. And believe me, he is tough on our boy that leaves me as "the nice guy" sometimes. I'm hopeful my son will get through this and go straight into college, as he plans.
Old 09-14-2006, 11:15 PM   #477
Master Chef

dina, did you hear 'bout my grey i got day before i was 25? i saw an object in my tresses that didn't match my others. then i noticed it was a GREY! i screamed, yanked that hair out & threw that dagnabbin intruder from here till tomorrow, called Mom crying, then my buddy.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:14 PM   #478
Everymom

Grump about the weather and cranky kids. GRUMP! I'm sick of rain! I'm tired of being the ones my kids yell at when they're frustrated with something else. Bite my tongue not to snap back when I'm crabby!

Sigh. Amazing how just getting that out makes you feel better isn't it? Thanks for letting me vent folks.
Old 09-16-2006, 08:42 AM   #479
Master Chef

jake. his lack of keys & my concurrent lack of sleep after Jake's work when he rings our buzzer 50,000x so he may be accepted into my apt.
waking me at dawn when keys are like $5.
jerk.
he got a lecture, to be VERY mild, with plenty of words that are mean.
if he wakes me tommorrow, he'll likely soon be crying.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:20 PM   #480
Head Chef

Alix

I recently purchased a sewing maching and I can't get the darn thing to work. All my neighbors have tried and it still doesn't work. I am so frustrated and angry - I called up the manufacturer and told them my problem. They asked if I still had the box that it came it. I told them that I had the box - they called UPS and are picking it up next week.

They were very sorry for my problem and are reimbursing my credit card.

Jill and Jolie