"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread
Old 10-20-2006, 03:44 PM   #571
Sous Chef
So sorry. The shock sometimes is overwhelming from my experience.Very glad you are both safe. Dangerous drivers out there so y'all watch out. I always think Iam a lousy driver just so I give all the lousy drivers a chance to do their whatever . My dad always told me to drive like everyone else is a bad driver. Caution all the time.

There is no love sincerer than the love of food. ~George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-20-2006, 04:04 PM   #572
Executive Chef
My dad always taught me - no matter if you are right or wrong, sometimes your car is wrecked if you insist on being right, even if you are.

Shpj4, if you were stopped, how in the world did the car hit you? He would've had to have made a reversed question mark.

Please spay and neuter your pets. The Animal Rescue Site
Old 10-20-2006, 04:27 PM   #573
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Glad you're ok. !!
In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
Old 10-20-2006, 05:55 PM   #574
Head Chef
Shpj4, glad to hear you're OK. That kind of situation gives you a terrible shake. Hope you manage to get back on the road OK.

As a somewhat odd aside, I was intrigued to read the explanation of the man who came over to see if you were OK. If this kind of situation occurred in Britain, people would assume it was a kid joyriding. In Spain, it would be assumed that the driver was driving their own car but without insurance and so was too scared to stop in case the police got involved.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:38 PM   #575
Chef Extraordinaire
shpj4, sorry to hear of the accident, but glad to hear it's only something that can be fixed, nothing worse. don't worry, everyone gets shaken in a car accident. even big tough guys like goodweed and ronjohn.

snoop, respectfully, those are all tremendous generalizations.

an eyewitness account is probably the best thing to go by. next is how aggressive the police want to be. in a small town, you might get lucky. in a city, you'll have to rely on luck beacuse since no one was hurt, the crime is minor.
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
Old 10-21-2006, 07:24 AM   #576
Head Chef
Glad you are ok shpj4......haing had a minor smash earlier this year I know how shaky it can make you feel, even if the damage is not so serious and you know it is not your fault.

Snoop, in UK I would be more likely to assume it was a no insurance job than a joy rider. Insurance evasion is getting MASSIVE here. DH passed his test last year...having been a city boy until I met him and not needed a car.....his insurance 3rd party on my mother's 1.3 l engine car was over 2000 sterling.....my insurance company refuse to insure him on my 1.7l car. He had a pass plus and was 26.....I am all for responsible driving and appropriate engine sizes but one can see why evasion becomes a huge and terrible problem.

Whatever the problem with the guy who hit shpj4 at least no serious damage was done!
In omnibus amor et iustum
Old 10-21-2006, 08:47 AM   #577
Head Chef
Buckytom, I agree they're generalisations, enormous ones. That's why I said I was intrigued. The same situation can give rise to all kinds of different assumptions. But that is all they are, assumptions based on gut feelings. Interesting to read what you have to say, lulu, about insurance in the UK. In my parents' part of the UK and where I lived up north, the assumption would be kids taking without consent and going on a spree. Just goes to show what you can learn through DC.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:04 AM   #578
Head Chef
LOL, its amazing what you find out here!

Joyriding is a sad fact of life in UK....but I think insurance is a bigger problem. well, I suppose all joy riders are driving without (relevant) insurance too.

Drives me mad in court when this is considered an "incidental" crime, the insurance thing is not taken as seriously as the theft of the car, or the accident it caused, or the other crime....eg getaway vehicle. Its that which has pushed UK insurance premiums so sky high and England such a cripplingly expensive place for normal law abiding people....sorry...I'll need to vent if I hink abou this any longer!
In omnibus amor et iustum
Old 10-21-2006, 03:29 PM   #579
Master Chef
My son had 2 minor run-ins (not his fault by police reports) and one traffic violation (going 20 mph over the limit-) and our insurance company dropped him from our regular policy. (Even the agent was apologetic) He is not allowed to drive any of the other cars and his individual policy is costing a fortune. He pays most of it himself but can't afford all of it. I can see why there are many uninsured drivers out there!!
The only difference between a "cook" and a "Chef" is who cleans up the kitchen.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:27 PM   #580
Head Chef
Thank all of you for your warm replies. Life goes on but when I tried to take Jolie out for a ride this morning in her soft carrier she started screaming when I put her in the car.

That was the best thing because as they say "You Have To Get Back On The Horse." We drove around for about an hour and she is fine now.

I still can't believe that there is a big hole in my bumper.

Again thanks all of you for your genuine concern.

Jill and Jolie
Closed Thread