"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 06:08 PM   #621
Everymom

@#$$%$%#!!!!! I hate snow covered ice. I wiped out TWICE today and my elbow is sporting a lovely bruise. Phooey!

Old 11-03-2006, 07:02 PM   #622
Hospitality Queen

I'm sorry about your bruise, Alix....I hear hot chocolate, drunk twice a day for a week will cure it.

I will vent about the weather too. It's supposed to be 81 tomorrow. Yuck. This is supposed to be Autumn! We're supposed to be able to wear sweaters!

Old 11-04-2006, 12:21 AM   #623
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
I'm sorry about your bruise, Alix....I hear hot chocolate, drunk twice a day for a week will cure it.

I will vent about the weather too. It's supposed to be 81 tomorrow. Yuck. This is supposed to be Autumn! We're supposed to be able to wear sweaters!
Hmmm. I endorse the hot chocolate twice a day, but it should be followed by a good serving of Godiva truffles in between. Or, if you don't have Godiva chocolates, you can use Godiva seeds...M&Ms. But you'll need them in greater quantity more often.

Well, jkath, we can give you some fall weather. It's been about 50 degrees here most days, with 30s to 40s at night. This is about right, yes?
Old 11-04-2006, 09:36 AM   #624
Master Chef

Alix, Sault Ste. Marie now looks like that picture you posted. We've got about 4 inches on the ground now. The roads are icy and I'm replacing nearly bald tires (the front 2 first) on Tuesday, or Wednsday. But this isn't here for good. We're supposed to get up into the high 40's for the next few days and all the white stuff will be gone for a breif period.

About that falling stuff. I have a great deal of experience in that department. I've been hit by a car while riding a motorcycle, driven off a 30 foot cliff on that same machine, fallen from trees, accidentally stepped off of a 2 story roof, twice in the same day, and the list goes on. Oh, and my feet have left the ground due to that snow-covered-ice condition you just experienced.

What kept me from getting hurt in all of those situations (never had more than a bruise from any of them), was the learned ability to fall properly. I was involved in Judo, and in Kuk Sul Won, both of which teach falling and tumbliing techniques. Especially the Judo training, drilled into us the ability to fall properly at every session until it became a natural response whenever the need arises. And there are multiple techniques to handle whatever type of fall you might encounter, be it falling frontwards, backwards, on your side, head-first, feet first, etc. And the correct response becomes automatic.

I highly recomend participation in Judo, Kuk Sool Won, or any marshal art technique that teaches falling skills. It may save you life. It has certainly saved mine over the years. And here's the best part. My eldest son, who is now 26, fell out of a two story window at the age of 2. He'd climbed a chair and while gazing out of a screend window, pushed the screen out and plumeted 1 and 1/2 stories to sun-baked clay and large rocks. I had been teaching him falling techniques for about 2 months before that. I'm convinced, as was the doctor, that those learned techniques saved his life. From the abrasions on his arms, it looked like he used the front-fall technique. and he suffered no injuries from the fall.

I am absolutely sold on knowing how to fall. It prevents injury and makes the incident far less painful.

My youngest sister took a tumble without knowing how to fall, and broke her elbow. I've never broken a bone, nor have any of my children (4 of them who did crazy things as kids, like falling out of trees, riding bicycles off of the tops of gravel pits and "flying" 30 feet or more until they landed on the sand wall, and all sorts of things to drive a parent crazy.

If you don't want to get into such a class, that's your choice, and you are certainly entitled to it. But if you have young ones, I beleive that it is an injustice not to give them those skills. But of course, that is my personal opinion.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 11-04-2006, 11:50 AM   #625
Everymom

Goodweed, I'm well versed in how to fall (having done it a LOT, also have several black belts, 3 senseis and one sifu in the family) HOWEVER, I don't believe I mentioned that I fell stepping out of my van. I didn't even get my second foot planted and I smashed my elbow in the running board of the van. Trust me, no amount of martial arts training in how to fall is going to help you in THAT situation.

Thanks for the "prescription" ladies. I have to be honest, there is enough chocolate in my house right now to kill an army of diabetics several times over. LOL, no Godiva though, I'll stick with my M&M's for now.

Does this ever happen to you? You absolutely smash the crud out of yourself, get a mark for a short time and then nothing. No bruise, no swelling no mark at all! It still hurts like a son of a gun but you have nothing to show for it. And then you have the mystery bruises that show up and you have no clue where they came from? Weird.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:56 PM   #626
Executive Chef

Alix, I've learned to just slide out of dh's truck. It is much easier than finding the foodboard for me. I hold on to the grab thing at the top and just slide down. I try not to wear a skirt or dress if I'm riding in the truck.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:21 PM   #627
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
OH Alix! I just read this. OUCH!!!! An elbow REALLY hurts too! Lock yourself in the bathroom with a nice hot smell-good bubblebath, a nice glass of Merlot, and a box of chocolates....and lots of candles...and your computer so we can still chat - but NO webcam!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
Old 11-04-2006, 02:36 PM   #628
Head Chef

I slide out of cabs in lorries too....I used to have a 7 and half tonne horse box that was over weight before any of the horses got in it, lol, and would get out just how you describe licia....only I often did it in mini skirts, lol. Two things I want to do in my life, get my HGV driving licence and learn to fly a helicopter. DH thinks I am mad. I might think about Goodweeds idea of "learning to fall". I sure could do with that. Maybe if I stay well I'll enrole in a gentle beginners martial arts class....whats the easiest for a defunct body Goodweed?

Anyway, hope your elbow feel better soon Alix....you poor thing :) Take care on the ice!!!!
Old 11-04-2006, 03:21 PM   #629
Executive Chef

My mother raised 7 kids without any of us having a broken bone, so I suppose we knew how to fall (without realizing it) but I've taken a few nasty falls that hurt. I think some of them may be the reason I have arthritis now. I've had to remind myself that I don't have to go like I'm going to a fire always. It is possible to slow down and still get where I'm going and in one piece with no bruises. I'm more careful now than in the past.
Old 11-04-2006, 04:09 PM   #630
Senior Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FraidKnot
You really don't want me to vent right now. Lots going on in my life, none of which is really a good thing! Let's just say, thanks for the opportunity!

Fraidy