"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 02:39 PM   #681
Master Chef

I was flying from NY last night, while there I bought some Russian sardines, of course, I did not think anything of it and put them in my bag. I did not have checked luggage. So they open it and the guy says you can only have 4 cans, darn, I say can my friend have 4 too? The guy lets us do it my friend takes another 4, they threw 2 more away.
Now my friends’ bag gets opened, he has 8 oz tooth paste tube that is practically empty. “We only allow 3 oz tooth paste tubes!” Huh, it’s empty you moron, it probably had enough tooth paste for one more time. They took that away too. Now you’re telling me we are safe with morons like this. If there was a competition of morons, they would take a second place. Why, you ask, because they are Morons.

Old 11-16-2006, 02:50 PM   #682
Head Chef

Charlie you have my sympathy.

I don't MIND the long, long, long, two/three hour queues at small airports to have my passport checked on Eurpean flights right now, I'll submit to most things for my saftey and the safety of others right now, but I do object to waiting patiently in the queue for so many hours to see them flick through and not even open the page with my picture on.

I lost a brand new (too expensive) mascara on my last flight. I bought it duty free on the way out, and it fell out of my makeup bag, which I had removed to put in my hold luggage. Used it maybe five times before it was binned. I don't mind, at all, its saftey. What did make my cringe was that my pointed tweeszers had fallen out too, I discovered them on the flight under the base bit of my bag and called a stewardess, explained that it has been an accident and she put her fingers to her lips and winked. I will never ever, not triple check before the flight again, I felt so guilty and nervous

Old 11-16-2006, 04:06 PM   #683
Chef Extraordinaire

shame on losing that expensive mascara, lulu - did they think you were going to overpower them with makeup?

I thought that the deadly tweezers were OK again on flights.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:22 PM   #684
Master Chef

My MIL bought a botle of parfume, $100.00 bucks they took it away. I mean, safety is fine but there needs to be something reasonable...
What bothered me about my story was not the fact that they threw away 2 cans, but he fact that they let my friend take some of them. How safe is it? If that was really explosives, that was such a stupid thing to allow us to do... I have no words to describe the stupidity.
Old 11-16-2006, 05:24 PM   #685
Chef Extraordinaire

Charlie, my brother works for TSA in Chicago. He is just as amazed at the stupid regulations as you are.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:27 AM   #686
Head Chef

My deadly tweezers are the sort that are never allowed....sharpened to a point and about four inches long they would, I suppose, make an effective weapon. I think a lot of it has been a very effective thing for duty free shops. You can buy anything you like AIR SIDE and take it on the flight. That has to be a security risk...I am sure the staff airside go through good security checks, but still. I know exactly what you mean Charlie. Also, I took my laptop through and was made to crank it up. Last time DH brought his it would not start and they just patted him on the back, did not try themselves.

Mudbug, well made up eyes are my weapon of choice, I can get any man eating out of my hand with one flutter of my 30% longer and more defined eyelashed, ROFL
Old 11-17-2006, 01:27 PM   #687
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife

I was rear ended last night!!!
I was coming off the freeway...almost at a complete stop and the girl behind me ( eating salad) and not paying any attention slammed into me. She hit me hard enough to push me into the truck in front of me. Luckily, it was a big pickup and I only hit his trailor hitch ball. No damage to his truck. My car will have to have both the front grill and both the front and back bumpers replaced. The poor girls car was ruined though. I had to feel sorry for her after the first five minutes.

I have a strained leg muscle and my neck and back are kind of sore.
but...that's to be expected.

Paul has been wonderful
I called him and he showed up at the accident about
10 minutes after the state police arrived. I wanted to go home
but he insisted that I go to the hostpital. He has also called the insurance people so I didn't have to deal with it! He takes such good care of me.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:44 PM   #688
Head Chef

Oh my goodness, pdswife. Those kinds of accidents can be awful. Glad to hear you're being well looked after by Paul. Take care of your neck and back.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:48 PM   #689
Executive Chef

Positive

pdswife, your comment starts out so negative and ends positive. Keep it up!! What kind of car you have? Must not be one of the new ones cause from the sound of it your car is pretty strong. That happened to me when the guy reached down on the floor to get his cell phone, bang right into me w/o using his breaks. My mother in the car. We had just gone to Farmer's Market and didn't have seat belts on. My mom was so aware of it that the police were coming she didn't know how to put the belt on so it was hanging around her neck when the police arrived. They didn't say anything about it. Guess they didn't even worry about seat belt.

Help me feel positive. My furnace quit working two weeks ago over weekend. Guy came that Monday and fixed it and cleaned it. Now it isn't working again. Please pray that I don't need new furnace. I just got through taking a shower and I am freezing. Can't get warm. I should get back in the shower again.

Thanks for understanding.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:52 PM   #690
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Kitchen... I've decided that "seeing the good side" is the only way to go.
I won't have to go to the store alone for awhile, Paul will have to drive me in the truck, my leg hurts so I can take it easy and sit on the comfy chair and read, it's a good excuse for an extra long nap in the afternoon!!

In your case... long showers, extra warm blankies on the bed, hot soups,
you can bake some cookies and sit reading in front of the stove or buy yourself some expensive cocoa that you normally wouldn't.

oh we have an 2000 Impala. It is big and strong.