"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 05:05 PM   #761
Executive Chef

buckytom

buckytom, how did it go today? Get your license? Meet someone interesting? Or were they all feeling bad? I was hoping the time passed quickly and you didn't forget something.

Old 11-30-2006, 06:52 PM   #762
Master Chef

PDSWife; My DW has suffered from sever migraines for so many years, I can't remember how long it is, maybe for 1979, I think. She's been to so many doctors and neurologists that have tried this medicine, and that medicine, none of them really helping to do anything but take the edge off. She has had spells where the headache lasted multiple weeks, with a day or two of relief, and then anothe cluster.

The reason I'm telling you this, is that jsut recently, while getting prescription for yet another cat scan, she suggested to the doctor that she would like to have her neck checked. At first, he said no. But after she insisted, he agreed. The scan of her cervical spine revealed an old injury that she had gotten before we were married 29 years ago. Seems she fought back one time when someone in a crowd tried to steal her purse. (She was very feisty when she was a young adult, one of the reasons I married her). The perpetrator knocked her down and she ended up with neck pain from the incident, but never had it checked. Some years later, this injury manifested itself in chronic headaches that appeared to be cluster migraines. If she'd had her spine checked when they first started appearing, the doctors say that something could have been done to repair the dammage. But now, there is scar tissue and other problems such that surgery would only complicate things further, according to the same neurologist. So she's stuck with chronic pain for the rest of her life.

Please investigate every avenue before settling for meds to alleviate the pain. It may be that you have whatever imballance causes migraines in otherwise healthy people. But if there is an injury, it's better to find out now that 25 years from now.

As for the nursing home gripes, your are completely justified in your gripes. And I applaud your efforts to get corrective measures taken.

Sizzlin', record the time and date of your compaint to the supervisor, so that if action isn't taken, you have documented evidence that you took steps to correct the problem. Also, should this bounce back at you (and I sure hope it doesn't), there are laws to protect whistle-blowers. People have been fired for such things as trying to correct problems. Protect yourself with as much documentation as possible, and with witnesses if you can.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 11-30-2006, 07:46 PM   #763
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Goodweed, I sure hope your wife finds some relife soon! Weeks at a time with this pain ...OH MY GOODNESS!!! How sad. With me it's family related. Both my parents, two grandmothers, one grandfather and now my son all get them.... The men seem to out grow them but we women just keep on suffering. My first one happened when I was 8 so... I doubt if it has anything to do with an injury but I shall look into it. Thanks!!!
Old 11-30-2006, 09:25 PM   #764
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Sorry to hear about your wife Goodweed. Prayers are being said for her.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:55 PM   #765
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Goodweed, I am so sorry to hear about your wife's struggles with migraines and even more sorry to hear there is no cure. She is very lucky to have you.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:28 AM   #766
Head Chef

Re migraines, like pdswife, mine are, or were, a family problem, my mother used to get seriously bad ones, my father gets them less frequently and in my teens I was getting them as often as twice/three times a week. Like Goodweed's wife, my mother and I had lots of tests.

Mine stopped when I had mey wisdom teeth removed, I get them hardly ever now, which is amazing, especially as I have had serious neurological problems and migraines might have been expected with that.....my mother's also reduced once she started receiving treatment for hypothyroidism. A lot of the time things like migraines are, I believe, telling us something, maybe a health problem, or maybe just to relax and unwind!
Old 12-01-2006, 04:40 AM   #767
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Kitchen
buckytom, how did it go today? Get your license? Meet someone interesting? Or were they all feeling bad? I was hoping the time passed quickly and you didn't forget something.
so, migraines are really a pain in the neck? (or jaw, sinuses, glands, etc.)

itk, thanks for your kind words. yes, i went back first thing this morning, and it only took me 1/2 hour to get my license.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:46 AM   #768
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Good for you Buckytom! Glad everything went smoothly.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:45 PM   #769
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
PDSWife; My DW has suffered from sever migraines for so many years, I can't remember how long it is, maybe for 1979, I think. She's been to so many doctors and neurologists that have tried this medicine, and that medicine, none of them really helping to do anything but take the edge off. She has had spells where the headache lasted multiple weeks, with a day or two of relief, and then another cluster.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
Hey, Goodweed, have your DW ask her physician about Aricept as a treatment for migraines. Here's why.

Several years ago I was in a vehicle accident in which I was nearly killed. I ended up with a closed head injury and lost my short-term memory as a result. Lived in a nightmare for months before Buck's sharp eyes noticed a piece in the newspaper about a research facility seeking applicants for a memory study using a drug that was used to treat Alzheimer patients. They suspected the drug could be used to treat memory loss. Alzheimer patients couldn't be used for the study because they were unreliable subjects for an in depth research study.

I'd never had migraines until I had my accident and was plagued with them with painful frequency. My doctor tried several drugs. The only one that ever gave me any relief was Zomig. Worked, mostly, but was very expensive.

Anyway, back to the research study. As it turned out, it was a worldwide study and I was the first person in the United States to qualify. I felt as though I'd gotten a gold medal in the Olympics. It was a double blind study, so no one at the facility or I knew whether or not I was taking the drug or a placebo.

When it was all said and done, I it turned out that I WAS taking the drug. Two things resulted. My memory has returned to 100% and I haven't had a migraine for years. I mentioned this to my advisor during the study. When the study was over, they told me that they suspected the drug could be used to treat migraines. Now there's a study for that, too.

At any rate, the study drug was Aricept. It has worked wonderfully well for my memory and I will have to take it for the rest of my life. My migraines are gone, too.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:06 AM   #770
Sous Chef

OK - I am a total wreck - A man tried to abduct my son and two of his friends today - We called the police and they put out a BE ON THE LOOK OUT FOR on him BUT I am really shook up - The thing that was even worse was I called what I thought was a good friend of mine who lives only a few miles from me - I did not want to call my mom as she is not doing well - Any way when I asked this person to come over and be with me and my son they said no - It kills me that they could not even be bothered to help - I also want to remind everyone to talk to their kids about this - My son and his friends screamed and ran but the man followed them untill he saw them calling me on the cell phone - Please be carefull -