"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 07:13 AM   #821
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L
Do their parents know they are doing these things? You might want to say something to them, unless you think it will just lead to something more harmful than fruit or ducks (that's awful). Thank goodness they are moving.

Barbara
Put them in a box....not the kids but the surprises they are leaving ......cover it with pretty wrapping papper and put a bow on it and leave it on their doorstep

Old 12-28-2006, 09:14 AM   #822
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon90
I came home today to find rotten bananas and little oranges that had been thrown at our house. Dumb neighbor kids. Do I accuse them and ask to have it cleaned up? They're gonna be moving in a few days. Last week, it was a dead duck.
it sounds like you live next to warner bros. or hanna-barbera, cora.

i'd march right over and ask them. if they deny, tell them you have a hidden video camera set up so if they know who did it, they better tell them that they'll be caught.

it'll be over soon enough, so hang in there. and try to be home the day they're leaving, maybe raking the yard or something.

gw, the best way to set up a dual boot drive is to get a program called partition magic. it'll walk you through the process of setting up the partitions and boot sectors so you can run another os.

an easier way to do it is with a sled and mutilple bootable hard drives.

lemme know if this is the way you're gonna go.

you could also contact deadly sushi, who is a computer guru. he may not have seen your whining, er, query. good luck.

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
Old 12-28-2006, 11:51 AM   #823
Sous Chef

Dual Boot - Win98 and XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
My gripe is simple. My OS is old. I'm still running Windows 98. The problem is that I just got an external DVD burner for Christmas, a very nice one that will burn double-sided DVD's up to 8.5 Gig. But my OS doesn't support it. I'm going to have to upgrade to Windows 2000 at the very least, but probably will upgrade to Windows XP Pro. The problem with this is that Windows 98 is DOS based, which allows me to run the interface program for communicating with the Phone Systems at work...I won't be able to do that when I upgrade as the interface program requires a DOS-based OS and from Windows 2000 up, the OS is no longer DOS based.

I've been told that I can set up my hard drive in partitions and operate a dual boot, one using Windows 98, and the other using the upgraded OS...
hi Goodweed,

For your windows OS upgrade, chose XP over Win2000, since it will be supported longer by Microsoft and new hardware (like your DVD burner) may not work with Win2000.

First thing to do is check whether your computer can run XP. You may need to upgrade your hardware but check whether your current computer can be upgraded if necessary. Some old computers can't be effectively upgraded or you may find it is not cost effective to do so.

If you've checked and know that your computer can run XP and if your computer has the space inside for a 2nd hard drive, you might want to consider buying and installing a 2nd drive and installing XP to that drive. You would not need Partition Magic if you do this. However, be sure to get a hard drive that is compatible with your computer.

If you upgrade, check with your employer's tech support whether their interface software can be run from within XP's "command" window or with DOS emulation software under XP. If the answer is yes, you may not need to keep Win98 on your machine.

Apologies if you already know this stuff. However, I've been using computers since the early DOS days, have used Partition Magic many times and currently have 2 computers, each dual boot. If you want, please feel free to PM me on this issue. - SF
Old 12-28-2006, 06:22 PM   #824
Executive Chef

Neighbors

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon90
I came home today to find rotten bananas and little oranges that had been thrown at our house. Dumb neighbor kids. Do I accuse them and ask to have it cleaned up? They're gonna be moving in a few days. Last week, it was a dead duck.
How in the world did you get them to move? I am having this kind of trouble for years and no matter how hard I try to 'love' them I can't. Just last month their son (28 years old) threw roofing nails on our driveway. We all had to get tires repaired or I had to buy new one, couldn't be repaired. How do I know this? No one else had roofing nails in their tires and they were on our driveway! Even the grandparents do things purposely to try to antagonize us. If the parents are the example what do you expect the kids to be. They have been living here long time. I am sure you have read many of my 'vents' about them. She is one lady who is spoiled from her parents and her husband that doesn't realize what work is. Sorry if I hijacked a thread or something. Just can't believe that you will get relieved of this problem. There is a light at the end of your storm. Good for you..
Old 12-28-2006, 06:35 PM   #825
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN
Put them in a box....not the kids but the surprises they are leaving ......cover it with pretty wrapping papper and put a bow on it and leave it on their doorstep
I almost said the same thing! Only I was going to add that she should hand it to the boys as they were driving away for the last time--a going away present. LOL Of course then it would turn out that they weren't the ones who did it and would always wonder why those strange people did that to them!

Barbara
Old 12-29-2006, 08:18 PM   #826
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
OK! IM REALLLLLLLLY not upset. Just bugged.
Can we PLEASEEEE change the name of this thread? Venting is just not covering what the topic is about. New folks MIGHT not get it.
Can we change it to something that reflects what this thread is about?
Like:
I Cant Believe This!
or
The Cruel Life
or
How was YOUR day?
or
Can You Say Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr?!
or
Venting
Old 12-29-2006, 09:45 PM   #827
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DEADLY SUSHI-
Can we PLEASEEEE change the name of this thread? Venting is just not covering what the topic is about. New folks MIGHT not get it.
Like:
I Cant Believe This!
or
The Cruel Life
or
How was YOUR day?
or
or
Venting
Goof! Glad you had the chance to "vent"!

Barbara
Old 12-29-2006, 10:12 PM   #828
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN
I gotta tell y'all this. When I was bartending, I lived in an apt so of course there was no yard. My friend was going to bury my old beloved cat in his back yard and I didn't want to carry a dead cat to work so I put it in a 12"x12"x4" box and wrapped it up. I had it in the walk in until I got off work. My friend was still at the bar so I gave it to him since he was leaving in about 15 minutes.

He went to the restroom and someone stole that box. We always wondered what they did when they opened it up and discovered a dead cat.

Did they think we were into voodoo or some obsure religion? Did they think it was a trap? We still call each other and laugh about it.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:17 PM   #829
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DEADLY SUSHI-
Like:
I Cant Believe This!
or
The Cruel Life
or
How was YOUR day?
or
or
Venting
Sush, Grrrrrrrrrrrrr, I can't believe this! Was life cruel to you today? Vent away. I don't want you to get buggy.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:34 PM   #830
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
Alas, tis the way of a morbid boat floated. But I want it changed!