Old Venting Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Venting

I called xyz company for ink for my printer.. Instead of getting a United States American customer service person I got some individual from the Philppines who could barley speak English.. I think this has gone on too far
outsourceing jobs we Americans can and should have the opertunity to fill. I told him I would buy US products and hung up.
:mad:

I called xyz company for ink for my printer.. Instead of getting a United States American customer service person I got some individual from the Philppines who could barley speak English.. I think this has gone on too far
outsourceing jobs we Americans can and should have the opertunity to fill. I told him I would buy US products and hung up.

i find this just a pain in the a## can't understand em and i always ask for a supervisior. sometimes can't understand them either. ran into this on tech for computer. just made me crazy.

babe

It's one of my pet hates too! I adore my car insurance company because I always get an Aussie on the other end and they are so helpful. you want to know they are employing your own countrymen instead of outsourcing their work to overseas!

As Shani knows, most of our service companies and the accounts companies of other companies are off-shore, usually in India. We are constantly inundated with Indian call centres trying to flog us something. We now also get pre-recorded messages originating from America too!!

And someone in Australian television made a determination that local content for TV (of which we require a minimum level to stop our programming being overrun with imports thereby destroying our industry) can now include New Zealand produced programmes! Not sure if our Kiwi friends realised that they have been colonised by the Australian television networks!!

You do wonder where it will stop.

My problem with talking to someone in another land is first I am lucky if I can sort of understand what they are sayiing. And I am used to dealing with folks speaking with many accents.

Second, and more important, they don't know anything.

Had a minor problem with my then new computer. Someone with a barely understandable Indian accent told me to do something. It did not work.

Then she told me to blow away my hard drive. Just like that, poof.

Had already moved over all of the stuff from the old computer. Did not want to do that.

Took the computer to the computer geek shop, he pushed the F11 button, and everything was fine.

In the UK called information about railroad connections. Got someone in India who knew less about the place than we did. Fortunately the misinformation we were given was so ridiculous we did not follow it.

Now if I call for help and I hear a very foreign accent just demand a supervisor who can speak English. There usually is someone there who actually knows something. You just have to use up a bunch of time and get yourself upset to get to one.

This may sound mean, but sometimes when a telemarketer calls and has a foreign accent that I can not understand-- I jabbor back in like baby talk, then when they say excuse me (I think thats what they say) I say now you know how I feel! and hang up.

My problem with talking to someone in another land is first I am lucky if I can sort of understand what they are sayiing. And I am used to dealing with folks speaking with many accents.

Second, and more important, they don't know anything.

Had a minor problem with my then new computer. Someone with a barely understandable Indian accent told me to do something. It did not work.

Then she told me to blow away my hard drive. Just like that, poof.

Had already moved over all of the stuff from the old computer. Did not want to do that.

Took the computer to the computer geek shop, he pushed the F11 button, and everything was fine.

In the UK called information about railroad connections. Got someone in India who knew less about the place than we did. Fortunately the misinformation we were given was so ridiculous we did not follow it.

Now if I call for help and I hear a very foreign accent just demand a supervisor who can speak English. There usually is someone there who actually knows something. You just have to use up a bunch of time and get yourself upset to get to one.

The funny thing about this is I was my college's computer technician for 4 years and I had to call Microsoft's call centers a few times... I taught them something almost every time... very basic stuff. They REALLY don't know what they are doing.

Last edited:
What used to bug me before I cancelled the service was that AMERICA Online (AOL) had all it's customer service centers moved to India. Seriously, how can you have AMERICA in your name if you are taking jobs away from Americans???????? Oh, but try and cancel and dayum skippy you'll get a guy in the US to try and talk you out of canceling.

I agree, Dave. I bought a TV on line from a major electronics chain store. There was no packing slip or invoice. (Needed one for the warranty/proof of purchase, etc.) When I called the on-line phone # for help, wound up in the Phillipines as well. Can't decide which is more frustrating - inability to understand the accent, waiting ten minutes for the next word to come out of his mouth, or switchhooking & disconnecting me when I asked for a supervisor. Similar situation when contacting a Tech from my isp.

Dave I'm with you. Let me share my tidbit:
While printing Christmas Card envelopes, my barely 2-year old Epson printer died. My last epson had the same lifespan, and even though I loved the way it worked, I decided to go "upgrade" and go with an HP. I was setting up this new gizmo and hadn't even hooked it up to the computer yet.
"Brittney" answered my call. I think they choose American names so as to fool us silly singletons. I could barely understand her. Since I know the company has a very large port in Malaysia (brother in law just moved there by the company), I asked if that's where she was located. Sure enough. I asked one question: "My computer won't print it's test sheet. I've checked with troubleshooting, and it appears as though it is a non-working device. Should I return it to the store?" I repeatedly told her that I could not understand her, and could I please speak with someone who was fluent in English. After 58 minutes with her and another 35 minutes with her "English-speaking manager", "Jeff", who, by the way didn't speak any better than her, I was told this golden nugget of wisdom: "It appears that your printer is not functioning properly. You must return it to the store of origin."

grrrrrrrrr.

venting

first of all a good rant, we got a new baby in the family on christmas eve. this was after four days of touch and go for the mom. the baby is very small but is breating on her own, delivered 8 or 9 weeks early. we are blessed.

now the venting. we went to granddaughter's for christmas brunch, we waited three hours for her parents to get there. they had the great granddaughter with them. had her over nite for some reason.

finally they came, by this time we all were so angry that i for one did not stay much longer. the baby was the show for me and my daughter.

oh well, now i am waiting for another granddaughter and her boy friend to come for dinner. she had to work yesterday. we said five and now has been changed til 6:30 , he is still at work.

these young people need a lesson in being on time. as cooks u all know what i mean. not always easy to hold some dishes that long. oh well, i get to see new baby tomorrow.

joy to all
babe

first of all a good rant, we got a new baby in the family on christmas eve. this was after four days of touch and go for the mom. the baby is very small but is breating on her own, delivered 8 or 9 weeks early. we are blessed.

now the venting. we went to granddaughter's for christmas brunch, we waited three hours for her parents to get there. they had the great granddaughter with them. had her over nite for some reason.

finally they came, by this time we all were so angry that i for one did not stay much longer. the baby was the show for me and my daughter.

oh well, now i am waiting for another granddaughter and her boy friend to come for dinner. she had to work yesterday. we said five and now has been changed til 6:30 , he is still at work.

these young people need a lesson in being on time. as cooks u all know what i mean. not always easy to hold some dishes that long. oh well, i get to see new baby tomorrow.

joy to all
babe

Wow:mad:, that is just disrespectful, especially for a grown woman. I hate people like that. Sounds like she's just a witch. As for that grandaughter and boyfriend, that I can relate to. Young kids just don't get it!!
Hope you have a better time today.

Try having a brother and sister-in-law in their 40s and still being 2 hours late for every gathering we hold at our house. We asked them to be at our home at 8:00 p.m. on Christmas Eve for dinner and they arrived at 9:00 and asking for a room to wrap presents in. Sheesh! It's not just the young people anymore.

I think every family must have perpetually late people. I do too but I solved it 4 years ago. I cheerfully let everyone know that the meal would be served at whatever time but not to worry if they were late - I'd save them a plate. And that's exactly what I do. I plate up one plate for the straggler(s) and then proceed as planned. It's unfair to make the prompt folks suffer every time. Plus, I'm not good at holding a meal without having it suffer in some way so it's a double loss.

Anyway, there were some very surprised folks the first year or two when they arrived to find the table already cleared! I served them each a plate I had made for them and told them to join us in the living room when they were finished. I didn't fuss at anyone for being late but I didn't accommodate anyone's tardiness, either.

What has happened is that the young folks who were always late are still late, but I don't hold up the meal or birthday cake or whatever for them so things are better. But the older people who were always late aren't anymore. Apparently, they don't like being unable to have seconds or missing the wine with the meal or not being in the pictures, etc. They may not like having to make the effort now but since I never scold and I save them a plate, there really isn't much they can say!

In some folks defense (not many though!) DH and I were always on time, until we had the 1st baby. Then we had to re-adjust, but got back to being on time. Until the 2nd came along, then we had to figure out how to get 2 kids out the door on time. But we manged. By the 3rd baby, we did most of the inviting! But we are still able to get where we're supposed to when asked.
My brother on the other hand, made me yell loudly on Christmas Eve. I was sick, I busted my butt to get this dinner done at 5 sharp, because he requested the later dinner, they were also going to his wife's family's house for dinner at 1. Now the whole reason our family started DOING the Eve gathering was that her family did Christams day. Fine. Somehow in the last 3 years they have changed it to Christmas eve also. Still fine. They insist on going to both. Still fine. But text message me when I take the ham out and say we'll be there in an hour or so???? NO. We ate. They got here as we were clearing dishes. They have no children and aren't going to. I've told him repeatedly pick 1 gathering, I won't be offended. I think he's decided now to do that. I didn't yell at him, but I think my mother told him I was angry, which I told her not to do. I vent, I suck it up, life goes on.

In some folks defense (not many though!) DH and I were always on time, until we had the 1st baby. Then we had to re-adjust, but got back to being on time. Until the 2nd came along, then we had to figure out how to get 2 kids out the door on time. But we manged. By the 3rd baby, we did most of the inviting! But we are still able to get where we're supposed to when asked.
My brother on the other hand, made me yell loudly on Christmas Eve. I was sick, I busted my butt to get this dinner done at 5 sharp, because he requested the later dinner, they were also going to his wife's family's house for dinner at 1. Now the whole reason our family started DOING the Eve gathering was that her family did Christams day. Fine. Somehow in the last 3 years they have changed it to Christmas eve also. Still fine. They insist on going to both. Still fine. But text message me when I take the ham out and say we'll be there in an hour or so???? NO. We ate. They got here as we were clearing dishes. They have no children and aren't going to. I've told him repeatedly pick 1 gathering, I won't be offended. I think he's decided now to do that. I didn't yell at him, but I think my mother told him I was angry, which I told her not to do. I vent, I suck it up, life goes on.
Suzie, I know what you mean about kids. I have 7 and for many years had foster children, too. It was impossible sometimes to be sure of being on time. Usually, I didn't accept dinner invitations, telling the host that it was difficult for me to commit to a certain time. That's why I don't fuss at latecomers - I've been there myself. And I never wanted to be the reason for holding up a meal or birthday cake so I either didn't accept or made it clear that activities should go on as planned even if I wasn't there yet. I think you handled it great when your brother texted he'd be late - you went ahead and ate! Was he upset about that?

No he expects us to..... but my mother won't do it. She thinks it's rude not to wait for them when it's a family meal. But as usual I think the opposite of my mother. I think it's more rude to keep a family with 3 starving little kids waiting and smelling dinner and stuffing them with crackers to keep them quiet.
But, she likes him better anyway.... if I were the late one I'm sure they'd eat.

OMG Suzie, I think we have the same mother! But you are right, it's bad form to keep people, especially little people, waiting on latecomers. Of course, you'll never convince your mom but that's a whole other issue, huh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom