"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 12:16 PM   #921
Everymom

Seems like it never rains but it pours. Charlie what a nasty thing to have to deal with. Hope it isn't too bad.

Buckytom, holy cow! that is a hanging offense IMHO. As is,
Quote:
she picks all of the m&m's out of my costco trail mix, which is nearly the same offense.
She is lucky you haven't divorced over that!

lulu, glad you have SOME heat now. Hope it all gets fixed soon!

Old 01-26-2007, 04:44 PM   #922
Chef Extraordinaire

It's a vent about work.

We got estimates today for printing a report that has to be bound like a book (called "perfect binding" in the biz). The estimates were from 2 to 3 times higher than the project manager has budgeted for.

Perfect binding is expensive, and we don't do it in-house.

In addition to this, the project requires that we provide several different electronic versions of this report on CD, including an html format that satisfies the requirements of Section 508 of the Americans With Disabilities Act. This meant that I had to research just what the heck those requirements are because the client's list of end products was vague and contradictory as far as meeting these guidelines.

The upshot is that I spent most of this week writing captions for 100-plus
exhibits (mostly photos) such that a person with impaired vision could comprehend what's in them without being able to see them very well.

Harder than you'd think. And I haven't even seen the final chapter yet.

Plus all that, the photos in the report have to be a certain large-ish size, which plays holy heck with trying to format it properly without leaving lots of white space.

When we're finished, we have to print hundreds of copies of the report and make hundreds of CDs.

When I notified the PM today about the cost of printing, he replied that our client will not spend any more money that was originally estimated, and so we will have to watch our labor charges in order to not exceed his lowball estimate.

Me (the editor) and the graphic designer and the document processor have already expended beaucoup time on this job just trying to get our arms around all the requirements, and we haven't even submitted the first draft yet.

And NOW he tells us we can't exceed a certain amount????

Old 01-26-2007, 05:10 PM   #923
Everymom

mudbug, jerkballs the lot of them! Go pour yourself a drink and forget about work for a while. GRRRRR!!!
Old 01-26-2007, 06:33 PM   #924
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Mudbug, being in the industry and in your shoes, it s*cks to be you right now. I am so sorry that this is happening - take a deep breath and put a plan together. I'm sorry friend. I agree with Alix if time permits (I know this is deadline oriented) have a drink!
Old 01-26-2007, 06:43 PM   #925
Chef Extraordinaire

Alix and MM, thanks for the shot of support. Poured and consumed.

My current plan is to let this genius PM do his own dam* caption writing and formatting. I'll bet his hourly rate is higher than ours, and he will be worse at it than us. Deadline is Feb. 1.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:29 PM   #926
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug
Alix and MM, thanks for the shot of support. Poured and consumed.

My current plan is to let this genius PM do his own dam* caption writing and formatting. I'll bet his hourly rate is higher than ours, and he will be worse at it than us. Deadline is Feb. 1.
Now let that drink do it's job bug, sit, remove job from you mind and enjoy your family..Mr. Wonderful will get his one day And you can watch and enjoy the moment..

kadesma
Old 01-26-2007, 11:09 PM   #927
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu
Yikes....I had a boss once who was so fussy about his Earl Grey. In the end, because his pot was never as he wanted, he got bags so we had to do the English poncey thing of three dunks and its out. When he was being particularly obnoxious I got real JOY at the fourth dunk of that ****** teabag, lol.

Well, my boiler was fixed today, so I should be happy, but for some reson the water is only coming out hot if the tap is only partly open. If you turn it to a decent pressure (or semi-decent, which is the best we get!) it goes STONE cold. But the heating is working and slowly re-warming the flat, which over night anfd this mornignwas down to 2 degrees! so at least to nights cold shower will be tempered by a warmer towel :(
Sure hope things take a total turn for the better for you soon lulu.....wished you lived close as you'd be more than welcome as a house guest. But since your not hopefully these will bring a smile to your face......too bad they haven't invented smell-a-screen
Attached Images

Old 01-26-2007, 11:11 PM   #928
Master Chef

Quote:
It's a vent about work.

We got estimates today for printing a report that has to be bound like a book (called "perfect binding" in the biz). The estimates were from 2 to 3 times higher than the project manager has budgeted for.

Perfect binding is expensive, and we don't do it in-house.

In addition to this, the project requires that we provide several different electronic versions of this report on CD, including an html format that satisfies the requirements of Section 508 of the Americans With Disabilities Act. This meant that I had to research just what the heck those requirements are because the client's list of end products was vague and contradictory as far as meeting these guidelines.

The upshot is that I spent most of this week writing captions for 100-plus
exhibits (mostly photos) such that a person with impaired vision could comprehend what's in them without being able to see them very well.

Harder than you'd think. And I haven't even seen the final chapter yet.

Plus all that, the photos in the report have to be a certain large-ish size, which plays holy heck with trying to format it properly without leaving lots of white space.

When we're finished, we have to print hundreds of copies of the report and make hundreds of CDs.

When I notified the PM today about the cost of printing, he replied that our client will not spend any more money that was originally estimated, and so we will have to watch our labor charges in order to not exceed his lowball estimate.

Me (the editor) and the graphic designer and the document processor have already expended beaucoup time on this job just trying to get our arms around all the requirements, and we haven't even submitted the first draft yet.

So sorry to hear this Mud.....how frustrating it must be for you and those you work with. Hope it doesn't cause too much more trouble for you.
Old 01-27-2007, 09:57 PM   #929
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu
... for some reson the water is only coming out hot if the tap is only partly open. If you turn it to a decent pressure (or semi-decent, which is the best we get!) it goes STONE cold.....

I had a simular problem ones, Lulu, the plumber switched something in the faucet, so the hot water would come out in place of cold, but when turned up the cold water would kick in, check.

As far as making it into vacation, we did think about doing it, but then decided not to. What kind of vacation is it in the middle of the winter with little kids, draging them thru the snow did not seem like a good idea. O, well...
Old 01-28-2007, 04:15 AM   #930
Head Chef

Quote:
It's a vent about work.

The estimates were from 2 to 3 times higher than the project manager has budgeted for.

What kind of project manager is he? He is totally useless at his job. Does he do this often? Can you do the amount of work he's budgeted for and just leave him to do the rest?