"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 11:22 AM   #941
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu
Well, when I come to Roma I'll sit at the front and bark at anyone who encroaches on your space, lol!
Well, that's another good reason for you to relocate to Rome!!

Quote:
Thanks for earlier kind words about housing. DH saw a property avocado this morning the situation here changed again :( this afternoon, we go to the lawyer again this evening or tomorrow afternoon. I think part of the problem is that LL does not have enough to do. I have all day to pander to him, but obviously DH does not. So, we call it quits, do what has to be done and start the search again, lol. Oh the dread of it! In fact, we now learn that this is VERY common here, the woman who was in DH's role before him actually left Italy after her third terible housing experience in two years...Milano has it seems a sad reputation for this in Italy. :(
That maybe why the Italians prefer to BUY a house (well, more likely a flat in Rome and Milano..) instead of rentng. I heard renting is not a popular option among them, and they try to buy one even though they obviously cost way too much these days, especially in Rome and Milano. And which leaves the majority of the properties for let for mainly foreigners, thus there are less control. Which is a sad situation. You need to consult with a well reputed real estate agents, and Michael should seek all the help he can get from the local colleagues/acquaintants to find such an agent, and/or a place to live. Once again, in bocca al lupo, you need all the luck you can get!!

Old 01-29-2007, 11:24 AM   #942
Master Chef

Quote:
Yep, we sent him a letter today to invite him to break the contract. Italy's rental laws are very different to any other country I have lived in, and like most things in Italy, involve a LONG process, lol.

We have already started looking, so that if/when he "accepts our invitation" we can cut and run! Its just so sad. Horrid to think of the next person living here too and them going through all of this!

Yeah, I was just going to say to Kadesma this is not America. Italy is very different and nothing is that simple.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:43 AM   #943
Everymom

Little vent. I turned my head too quickly and got a burn up one side of my neck. Usually when that happens the pain goes away pretty quickly, but today it has stayed and its giving me a headache. Ow.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:50 AM   #944
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Little vent. I turned my head too quickly and got a burn up one side of my neck. Usually when that happens the pain goes away pretty quickly, but today it has stayed and its giving me a headache. Ow.
been there done that... hate it when that happens!!
Old 01-29-2007, 11:54 AM   #945
Master Chef

So sorry lulu that your having to deal with all of this......hope and pray that it all works out in the end for you guys.

Sorry to hear about your neck Alix.......try some Aleve or Advil (if you can take either of them) and put a heating pad on it.......hopefully that combination will help. Gentle Hugs
Old 01-29-2007, 03:58 PM   #946
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
Uncle Bob's remedy for this is 2 or 3 oz. of good Kentucky Bourbon..along with some "chill" time!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Old 01-29-2007, 04:29 PM   #947
Head Chef

Oh Alix, poor you!

As regards buying, the english like the americdans buy houses! But its expensive here and the process may be longer than how long we stay, I still hope DH gets offered a UK contract sooner rather than later!

Anyway, for now I am all good, my avvocato (not avocado as I typed earlier!) was great and an old friend of DH's boss. He said some not flattering things about corporate lawyers (like his friend and DH!) and laughed at the letter the entire office had had a go at writing, and told us when we buy a company fine, DH does our own lawyer-ing, when we deal with "real" problems, get a "real" lawyer, ROFL

We have a plan :(
Old 01-29-2007, 04:31 PM   #948
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
Uncle Bob's remedy for this is 2 or 3 oz. of good Kentucky Bourbon..along with some "chill" time!
Wish I could but I'm off to work now. They frown on arriving at work after a few oz. of the good stuff. Advil is a marvelous thing and I'm feeling better. Thanks all for the sympathy.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:40 PM   #949
Executive Chef

Ah, Lulu... now you cleared the wee mystery for me... I was just wondering what has avocado got to do with this whole thing. I never thought of avvocato as I was thinking in the English mode at that time!!

(Avvocato = attorney, solicitor, barrister etc. in Italian)
Old 01-30-2007, 05:39 PM   #950
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Brooksy Send a message via Skype™ to Brooksy
Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
Ah, Lulu... now you cleared the wee mystery for me... I was just wondering what has avocado got to do with this whole thing. I never thought of avvocato as I was thinking in the English mode at that time!!

(Avvocato = attorney, solicitor, barrister etc. in Italian)
Avocado is probably of more use anyway.......

Closed Thread