Old Venting Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tech support that speaks english, but with such a "thick" accent you can't understand them. Tech support that goes by a script rather than interacting with you. Companies that have no Customer Service Department. I have to stop now. My blood pressure is going up!!!!!!!!

I'm pretty frustrated tonight. James is a little over 2 months into his CAD training and still has 9 months to go. He has a trac phone but we can't afford to add any time to it right now, so for the most part we have been communicating at night via MSN Messenger. Now the training center has decided to block all messengers because they are afraid of getting viruses through them. So now James and I don't have any way to talk to each other in a timely manner. He left really late tonight (I was asked to "perform" a 3-minute dialog I had written at church tonight, and we had a few things to do to get him ready to go) so he won't be there for another hour or so, but he is going to check when he gets there to see if they have blocked message boards. If he can get into DC we will talk through PMs. Otherwise we will have to try to have a conversation through email. That is so frustrating! Oh well, that is really the least of our worries at the moment, but it would be nice to be able to talk to my husband more than every weekend!

:huh:Barbara

Barbara, I hope the situation is put right very soon. It isn't fun being out of touch. Dh has a gophone and he never uses all his minutes. Of course he hardly ever answers his phone either. Maybe after almost 50 years we don't have as much to talk about. I guess we've said it all!

Maybe after almost 50 years we don't have as much to talk about. I guess we've said it all!
I guess that's our problem--we've only been married 4 1/2 years! :LOL:

Thanks Licia! In the end this will all have been worth it, but in the meantime it is sometimes a little frustrating. :cool:

:)Barbara

Hang in there Barbara. Hope you both can connect soon. Remember that all sacrifice is compensated eventually.

Thanks Dina! Yeah, I know things will work out. And we can still communicate--just a little slower. Some people don't even have that. :(

I feel your frustration, too, Barbara L. My hubby does a lot of traveling in his job and we're separated a lot and I'm by myself in a country where there is little to do. Right now it's budget time for his company and even when he is home he is tied to the computer. Many times when he is traveling, the hotels overseas don't even have computer access. I hope that they haven't blocked communication for you. Hang in there!!!!

Well that's odd. I posted a response to you, expatgirl, a few hours ago but it isn't here. Anyway, I just said that no matter how slow it is, at least I am fortunate to be able to communicate with James. I was just frustrated last night. I hope you don't have too many days with no communication from your husband. Well, if you can't communicate with him, you can always talk to me!

:) Barbara

I'm late into this thread but...
latching onto a recent topic: my travelling keeps me from communicating with YOU GUYS! :(

When I discovered this place I was elated - but now I find myself having to travel more (sans computer) and am suffering DC withdrawal...

Any antidotes you can suggest?

G

I know what you mean about DC withdrawl gourmande! I think a lot of us go through that! If you are traveling and are not able to go online, you can take notes about your travels to share with us when you get back "home" to DC!

For any teachers out there please HELP!!!

I'm really bugged today because my daughter's ELA teacher is making the GT class read on the 6th grade level basal. The problem is that some of these kids are getting REALLY bored and not passing the quizzes and tests with the short stories in this book. These are kids with an 8th and 9th grade reading level and can achieve a lot more than a leveled reader. I used to give my GT 6th graders novels to read in class and come up with activities, analytical assignments and quizzes because they were very advanced readers to keep them on a leveled reader book. I would make sure to challenge these kids. I'm so tempted to go talk to her teacher but my daughter says I'd only be embarrassing her. My daughter doesn't seem very happy in her reading class this year and it saddens me because reading is her favorite subject. I'm worried. School aged moms, dads and teachers: What should I do?

Let the teacher run the class and buy your daughter all the books she wants to read at home. : )

My first thought is to talk with your daughter about her class. You say she "seems" unhappy with her reading class. That is your perception and your concern as a parent and educator. Sit down with your daughter and discuss how the class is going and what she would like to get out of it. After you find out what she thinks, then you have a better idea of what to do.

I understand the "don't embarrass me, mom" part, but you might explain during your conversation how YOU feel and what your motivation is for speaking with her teacher.

Buck and I survived 5 children moving through all the grades and we had our moments.

I second pd's comments...give her all the books she can handle.

If you don’t want to embarrass your child, then cal the teacher on the phone and explain it. You can be anonymous that way, and it is a great first step. If more is required, then d@mn the embarrassment because education is key.

But I’m wondering. How much are you expecting? I mean to fully analyze a literary work with vast symbolism requires insights that come with experience. 8th and 9th graders simply do not have that sort of experience. Look to Hemmingway’s “A Clean well lighted place” for example. I don’t expect (and seriously hope) an 8th grader ”gets” that.

Dina, I understand your plight. You don't want to embarrass Amanda, but you need to make sure she is getting a quality education. Is there a reporting period coming up when you would have a parent teacher interview scheduled anyway? You could bring it up then.

Your girl is bright enough that she can muddle through this. This might be a short lived thing for a particular unit or something. I'd give it some time and see how it all settles out. Talk to Amanda again and try to get clearer info, also let her know that because you are her advocate you need to be sure she is getting the right stuff to learn all she needs. She will understand that.

I also totally understand that you have to tread carefully so you don't shut down the lines of communication between you and your girl. I think you might want to decide how crucial a matter this is. Is it worth getting her all grumpy at you? I think if it were me, I'd let it ride a while longer and just keep it in mind for the next time I "happen" to meet up with the teacher for some other reason.

Thank you all very much. I'm going to wait a bit and not step on the teacher's toes at all. I'm hoping that these next 6 weeks she begins to introduce novels and more advanced and interested reading for the kids. I've asked my daughter to continue reading books of her liking to continue her interest in reading. The reporting period was up last Friday and she got a 97 in the class. I'll give it more time. Thank you all once more.

The saying goes, God doesn't give you more than you can handle. Well, I'm tired of being tested!!
My cousin now is being tested for colon cancer.
Lets see, my son was stabbed, husband had a cancer scare and we went broke from tests and he still can't eat his beloved brisket, my niece has caner and now my cousin is being checked, and my friend is going through dialysis, all in a year. Hmm, I'm tired now and getting depressed. Sorry, just venting. I'm at work and noone to talk to right now.

The saying goes, God doesn't give you more than you can handle. Well, I'm tired of being tested!!
My cousin now is being tested for colon cancer.
Lets see, my son was stabbed, husband had a cancer scare and we went broke from tests and he still can't eat his beloved brisket, my niece has caner and now my cousin is being checked, and my friend is going through dialysis, all in a year. Hmm, I'm tired now and getting depressed. Sorry, just venting. I'm at work and noone to talk to right now.
Hey you,
I know where you are and how you're feeling..I have those days too. But, does it help? do you feel better when you feel this way? NOPE to both questions? Smile, you are healthy, DH while he can't have brisket yet, is doing better, son has come through this, your loved ones who are facing the cancer need some strong shoulders now..You can lend them yours to lean on..There is nothing more loving than to just be there for them. I know if I write, you will answer, that is all I need, be glad you can give that to us. I am.
kadesma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom