Old Venting Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well, it's nice that you actually cared mm.........I know that I was the ignorant recipient of some really bad cuts until a friend came with me and showed me what to look for...........they actually quivered when she came along because they knew they were going to have to let go of authentic nice cuts of meat........she was brutal but effective...unfortunately for them I was a quick learner and passed the instructions on.

My latest vent (rant really) is from last night. After dinner we went to WalMart. As we parked we noticed this guy getting ready to leave. He put his stuff in his fancy "hey everyone look at me" car (with doors that open upward like wings). Then he pushed his cart a step or two away from his car and then just pushed his cart in the general direction of the large cart "corral" that was only a couple spaces from his car. It went into the middle of the lane, and that is where he left it. James and I were a lane away but we went over there and James put the cart away (by this time someone was trying to drive through there and the cart was in his way, so I'm sure he appreciated it). The idiot who had pushed the cart out there looked over at us just as we were doing that, so I pointed at the cart and mouthed (he couldn't hear me, so no sense yelling!), "You left it there!" I'm sure he couldn't care less, but I just wanted to let him know that his lack of manners had not gone unnoticed.

:glare:Barbara

oh, my, one of my favorite rants, Barbara, esp. coupled with the insensitive clods who park in the handicapped spaces and don't display the requisite sign and look like they could run a marathon.........my poor mother in law was crippled from osteoarthritis and because all of the parking spaces would be gone had to deposit her in front of the store and hunt a space further away

i like to leave my cart behind monster sized suvs with handicap plates that park in handicapped spots while the spritely driver (and no passenger) hops out to go shopping. :cool:

Any time I catch someone leaving a cart in the lot without putting it in the coral, I just grab it and move it behind their car as I walk toward the store, never missing a beat.
Once I was too late and the guy pulled out, so I just pushed it in front of his truck and left it there. He got out and asked what I was doing. I just said "annoying, isn't it?", and walked away.
I wonder if he got the hint?

i like to leave my cart behind monster sized suvs that park in handicapped spots while the spritely driver (and no passenger) hops out to go shopping. :cool:

Ohh, I love to do that as well, especially since my 3 year old loves the half cart/half racing car ones that can be hard to maneuver. A new thing I have been doing is taking pictures front and back that clearly show the non-handicapped plates, the vehicle clearly parked in the handicapped spot, and no handicap tags hanging from the rear view mirror or stickers anywhere on the vehicle. If possible I get pictures of the person jumping out and strolling into the store as well.
I don't know about other places, but here if you print them and turn them into the police, they will mail a copy of them along with a ticket to the person. I have no idea if the judge ever upholds them, but them just having to take a day off to go to court is worth it to me.

Great suggestions y'all.........what I'd like to do is have a peel off sticker the size of the license plate with a brain sitting in a wheelchair and adhere it over their license plate advertising "Mentally Handicapped" I know that there is a money making venture in this somewhere and the proceeds could be donated to the truly handicapped------my mother-in-law truly suffered

I have to admit that during pregnancy I have been guilty of leaving my cart between parking places. I do take care to make sure it's not in anyone's way, and I only do it if there isn't a cart corral anywhere nearby (which is nearly everywhere at our local Wal-Mart--they really need to invest in more). I had the choice of hauling my toddler back to the car when I can hardly walk without him, or leaving him in the car while I made the trek across the parking lot to put my cart in the corral. In that case I figured if Wal-Mart didn't want their carts scattered all over the lot they need to add a few more corrals.

Buck and I have a "handicapped" hang-tag we use on our vehicles. Both of us need it. His malady is obvious since he uses a cane...and needs it. Mine is less obvious and it would appear that I don't suffer from any handicap. But, believe me, it's there. We have a friend who has been harassed when she's parked in a handicapped space, with the required tag, because she looks perfectly healthy. In fact, she has a serious breathing problem that is aggravated by having to walk even small distances outside. Handicapped doesn't always mean wheelchair-bound, etc.

As for the grocery cart thing, yes, I've been guilty of not putting my cart into its corral. However, whenever I fail to do that I'm always careful to put the cart so that it doesn't interfere with anyone being able to park their car or to get out of the car. Sometimes walking a few extra steps is just too painful for me.

Conversely, on especially painful days, I'm grateful to find an errant cart near my car so I can use it for support on my way into the store.

If there is nowhere nearby to put carts, I will leave mine in an out of the way place if there is already a cart there. Otherwise I just bring it back into the store. What bugged me about the idiot at WalMart the other night is that he just pushed it out of his way, and into everyone else's way. I'll bet if someone else did that and nicked his car he'd have them in court!

:)Barbara

Oh, I am so glad someone started the "handicapped spot" vent! Two Christmas's ago, on the morning of Christmas eve, I had to pick up a few items at the grocery store (usually I avoid doing this, but it couldn't be helped. Well we saw this big black truck with plates from another province waiting for someone to pull out of handicapped spot near the store entrance. when the van in the spot left, the truck, displaying no plackard moved forward and we thought he was waiting to turn out of the lane. I had put my plackard on the rear view mirror as we entered the parking lot. My DH stopped for a few minutes waiting for him to leave, and then realized he could swing behind him into the spot. As he did this, the guy started backing up and put a huge dent in the driver's side. The guy all of a sudden takes off! I ask some people to stop him (having stupidly jumped out of the car without my cane and ran about ten feet (two things I can't do) because he hit us. He waived that he was coming back and went down the next row and parked. He was ranting and raving at DH that he had marked the spot (by being in front of it I guess) and thought that we had left finally. He said "you can't put your plackard up until you have parked", which is not true - you aren't supposed to drive on the streets with it but you have to have it up to mark that you need the spot. He finally calmed down and admitted it was his fault and gave us a few hundred dollars to get it fixed. Not enough, but we were both in shock at the time.

Well, to add to this, we go into the store to get the stuff and I am visibly shaken and sore. This guy behind me said "get out of my way" and I move over and say I am really sorry I can't walk any faster, and he turns around, gives me a certain hand jesture and tells me to shut the ------ up. DH smiles and says "Merry Christmas to you too sir." By this time I am in tears so I go back to the car and wait for DH to pay for everything.

Oh, I am so glad someone started the "handicapped spot" vent! Two Christmas's ago, on the morning of Christmas eve, I had to pick up a few items at the grocery store (usually I avoid doing this, but it couldn't be helped. Well we saw this big black truck with plates from another province waiting for someone to pull out of handicapped spot near the store entrance. when the van in the spot left, the truck, displaying no plackard moved forward and we thought he was waiting to turn out of the lane. I had put my plackard on the rear view mirror as we entered the parking lot. My DH stopped for a few minutes waiting for him to leave, and then realized he could swing behind him into the spot. As he did this, the guy started backing up and put a huge dent in the driver's side. The guy all of a sudden takes off! I ask some people to stop him (having stupidly jumped out of the car without my cane and ran about ten feet (two things I can't do) because he hit us. He waived that he was coming back and went down the next row and parked. He was ranting and raving at DH that he had marked the spot (by being in front of it I guess) and thought that we had left finally. He said "you can't put your plackard up until you have parked", which is not true - you aren't supposed to drive on the streets with it but you have to have it up to mark that you need the spot. He finally calmed down and admitted it was his fault and gave us a few hundred dollars to get it fixed. Not enough, but we were both in shock at the time.

Well, to add to this, we go into the store to get the stuff and I am visibly shaken and sore. This guy behind me said "get out of my way" and I move over and say I am really sorry I can't walk any faster, and he turns around, gives me a certain hand jesture and tells me to shut the ------ up. DH smiles and says "Merry Christmas to you too sir." By this time I am in tears so I go back to the car and wait for DH to pay for everything.

what an awful experience. sorry u had to go through it. some people are just rotten to the core.

babe:(:(

Seems to me folks are just feeling more and more entitled. They figure they can do or say anything they want with no consequences. I try to think karmicly and remember that what goes around comes around. I always say a little prayer that when stuff DOES come around to those jerkballs that they will realize WHY it is happening.

Just wanted to also comment that there are folks who are not visibly handicapped that need those spots. My Mom is asthmatic and diabetic and can't walk far, but she sure LOOKS spritely and well put together.

OK, I'm sure I'm going to start an absolute firestorm here, but my personal peeve is those stupid spots reserved for families with children or pregnant ladies. Um...what? Presumably if you are pregnant, you are young enough to walk a few extra feet. I'm all for those spots they reserve for Seniors, but the "family ones"? Forgeddabouddit!!

Seems to me folks are just feeling more and more entitled. They figure they can do or say anything they want with no consequences. I try to think karmicly and remember that what goes around comes around. I always say a little prayer that when stuff DOES come around to those jerkballs that they will realize WHY it is happening.

Just wanted to also comment that there are folks who are not visibly handicapped that need those spots. My Mom is asthmatic and diabetic and can't walk far, but she sure LOOKS spritely and well put together.

OK, I'm sure I'm going to start an absolute firestorm here, but my personal peeve is those stupid spots reserved for families with children or pregnant ladies. Um...what? Presumably if you are pregnant, you are young enough to walk a few extra feet. I'm all for those spots they reserve for Seniors, but the "family ones"? Forgeddabouddit!!

Alix

I appreciated those family spot when my doors where small (they were just starting to come in) because I could open the door wide to get them out of their child seats. Mind you they seem to be respected any more than the diasabbled slots.

Alix

I appreciated those family spot when my doors where small (they were just starting to come in) because I could open the door wide to get them out of their child seats. Mind you they seem to be respected any more than the diasabbled slots.

Family spots are the same size as any other spot here. The larger size WOULD make sense for that though. I figure, since I have kids I get to park there too, but honestly, wouldn't it make more sense to put a Senior's spot there? Silly if you ask me.

Yea, I wouldn't have minded where they were as walking wasn't the issue. Over here they are the same as disbled spots having extra wide space so you have room to get and get kids.

OK, see, that actually makes sense! Here they are just a couple of spots right next to the handicapped spots. Same size as all the other spots though. Thats just silly.

Yeah, in general I don't consider pregnancy to be a disabling condition and it's usually good for us to walk then. But I like the wide family spaces they have now. When I used to have a carload of toddlers, it was a struggle to get them all unloaded, keep them from running in the street, make sure they don't bang the car next to us with our car door, etc. I was scared to death in parking lots for that reason. So I think the family spot is good. And if it can be close to the store, I do think it's safer for the little ones - less lot to traverse so less chances to pull free and run in front of a car.

My kids make me feel handicapped some days...... :)
But no, I never did see the point for pregnant chick spots. Never waited for one, never used one. Waddled my butt in from the end parking spot cuz I HATE waiting and looking for close parking places, carrying another kid most times. Walking right past some chick with a teeny 3 month "baby bump" a few times. I really wanted to kick them!!!

My kids make me feel handicapped some days...... :)
But no, I never did see the point for pregnant chick spots. Never waited for one, never used one. Waddled my butt in from the end parking spot cuz I HATE waiting and looking for close parking places, carrying another kid most times. Walking right past some chick with a teeny 3 month "baby bump" a few times. I really wanted to kick them!!!
Yeah, I never used a preggers spot either. Actually, I've only seen them at BabiesRUs or maternity shops and I always thought they were a sales technique - make the target buyer feel special. Of course, there are women who have difficult pregnancies so walking may be an issue for them. But in general, I'm with you Suzie. Having a toddler in tow is a handicapping condition!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom