Old Venting Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone for the thoughts and prayers. Five hours in emergency later and she was sent home with some T3's and a requisition for an ultrasound as they believe it may be a cyst. She doesn't know what time they will call her tomorrow and then she basically has to wait at the hospital and go back through emergency to get the results, and of course it will be a different doctor, with different ideas. They wouldn't give her a note for work, either.

I am making her stay the night and told them to call here with the appointment. She is so scared and I feel so helpless.

Oh, another vent - her real mother called on my cell and blasted her for not telling her (the mother) that she was going to the hospital and that she had to find out by phoning Tara's work. She told me that she was glad her daughter has someone to go to because it sure isn't her. I left that can of worms alone.

Okay, now I am REALLY angry.

Our daughter stayed over night here and waited for the hospital to call for her ultrasound. They never did and by noon she was worse than ever with pain, fever and the pain had spread. So we went back to the ER and waited another 5 hours for the same doctor to see her. He says "well I looked at your ultrasound and everything seems normal". She tells him she hasn't had it yet and he says "why not? why are you here then?" She says because they didn't call and the pain is worse and spreading. He examines her and tells her it is 90% appendicitis and orders an IV, morphine and a CT scan. We wait around another 3 hours for all this to happen and another doctor takes over and says that it isn't appendicitis but it might be a mild form of colitis. Well, a friend of hers has colitis and is going for major surgery in September to remove the colon. This puts DD in total fear and it takes DH and I all the way home to calm her down. Now I am doing a whole pile of research on it for her. She is sleeping now and hopefully the antibiotics and painkillers will cure the physical problems but I am not sure about her emotional state right now.

Thanks everyone for praying and please keep them coming.

Oh Laurie,
what an awful day..Poor Tara, you both must be worn out..I tell you,this is where I'd really demand something be done and done right..This business of every doc on the pay roll strolling by and making a guess on what is wrong would make me crazy and rightfully very angry..It's bang the shoe on the desk time..Then girl needs HELP NOW..Take a deep breath, get some rest and you will be in my thoughts and prayers..
kadesma

Our daughter stayed over night here and waited for the hospital to call for her ultrasound. They never did and by noon she was worse than ever with pain, fever and the pain had spread. So we went back to the ER and waited another 5 hours for the same doctor to see her. He says "well I looked at your ultrasound and everything seems normal". She tells him she hasn't had it yet and he says "why not? why are you here then?" She says because they didn't call and the pain is worse and spreading. He examines her and tells her it is 90% appendicitis and orders an IV, morphine and a CT scan. We wait around another 3 hours for all this to happen and another doctor takes over and says that it isn't appendicitis but it might be a mild form of colitis. Well, a friend of hers has colitis and is going for major surgery in September to remove the colon. This puts DD in total fear and it takes DH and I all the way home to calm her down. Now I am doing a whole pile of research on it for her. She is sleeping now and hopefully the antibiotics and painkillers will cure the physical problems but I am not sure about her emotional state right now.

i would get a third doctor to take a look. neither of those possiblities are small things. my 16 year old granddaughter almost died of appendictis because they couldn't decide and it ruptured.

your poor daughter, all they did was scare the hell out of her and you. makes me very angry for you, as well.

babe:(:(

Last edited:
there is a family on my street with budding musicans . they practice from bout now sometimes til 8 or 9 oclock. even that wouldn't be to bad, but they play the same song over and over. they have done this going on six months.

give me a break, they are across the street and down three houses and still sound like they are in my house.

don't really know what to do. can't really complain to them, they don't speak english. there are rules about loud music of course. so many people in here forget that other people live very close to them.

any ideas what to do?

babe:angry::angry::question::question:

Last edited:
Babe, I don't know about where you live, but here we have city by-law officers who are there to help keep the city rules and you can call them for items like noise, neighbor's pets, illegally parked cars, etc. If you don't have this, then call the non-emergency number of your local police station and report it. They may not do anything the first time, but if you and enough other people register complaints they certainly will check it out.

I hope this helps.

LP. I think you should do what I told Fishers Mom to do. You should try calling the head person of the Hospital or the head of all the doctors working there and talk to someone in charge explain your situation be genuine but not hysterical or angry and ask them what needs to be done and for a real diagnoses on the problem and because you are very concerned and that it is putting a lot of stress on your pregnant daughter who is young and scared and because of the plain fact these are serious issues. If that doe's not work go to a higher person in charge. Once you have run out of options contact a news TV station. Believe me if you are persistent chances are you will get results. Like I said don't get crazy or hostile be genuine just ask for help most people want to help, The TV is the last
choice if nothing else works. If it's appendicitis or anything else it must be addressed immediately. I am in no way trying to scare you but I learned along time ago if you keep trying someone will come thru for you. Again stay calm on the phone but also convey how concerned you are. And last don't give up call and talk to everyone more than once if necessary for help and advice. Don't give up. You can also go on some medical websites and post your issues to another doctor to see whats up.
Also do not wait until tommorrow but start now.

Last edited:
:) LP, I also wanted to to tell you that if it's appendicitis it's not fixed by morphine, an Iv or Ct it is something that is removed immediatley by surgery before it has a chance to erupt. I am not a doctor but I have never ever heard of this kind of treatment for appendicitis. I have yet to get this but know people who have and I'm sure there are some here that have had it it's not something to mess with. As I said before you need to become a Bull Dog and get to the bottom of this.

Thanks everyone for your input. First I just want to clear something up JP, I am not sure where this came up but she isn't pregnant at the moment. Anyway, we are going to my doctor tomorrow morning. She is connected with a different hospital than the one we were going to so if anything is needed in that way we will be going someplace different, which is totally fine with me.

I do plan to call the hospital in question and report the fact that a doctor was reading tests that didn't belong to my daughter and I want someone else to read the CT scan to be sure of the results. One thing about me is I can be very angry but I can also control it when talking to people to get what I want.

She is feeling better today though definitely not well. We shall see what tomorrow brings.

:) LP, I also wanted to to tell you that if it's appendicitis it's not fixed by morphine, an Iv or Ct it is something that is removed immediatley by surgery before it has a chance to erupt. I am not a doctor but I have never ever heard of this kind of treatment for appendicitis. I have yet to get this but know people who have and I'm sure there are some here that have had it it's not something to mess with. As I said before you need to become a Bull Dog and get to the bottom of this.

These items were not the treatment for it. The morphine was to give her a bit of relief, the IV was inserted in preparation for surgery and the CT scan was to make sure it was indeed the appendix. When I was typing last night I was very tired, frustrated and probably didn't word things properly.

:) No worries LP I thought she was pregnant must have been another post which is why I was so concerned. Even so I was very worried with what you were saying. But still I'm glad I threw out my 2 cents worth maybe it will help someone else down the road.

Babe, I don't know about where you live, but here we have city by-law officers who are there to help keep the city rules and you can call them for items like noise, neighbor's pets, illegally parked cars, etc. If you don't have this, then call the non-emergency number of your local police station and report it. They may not do anything the first time, but if you and enough other people register complaints they certainly will check it out.

I hope this helps.

thank you so much. i will give it a try. they are also running a landscaping business out of their home. as many as six trucks and cars there everyday. have not wanted to make a big deal out of that, everyone has to eat. and at least they are working. may have to do same thing about this.

babe:dry::dry:

thank you so much. i will give it a try. they are also running a landscaping business out of their home. as many as six trucks and cars there everyday. have not wanted to make a big deal out of that, everyone has to eat. and at least they are working. may have to do same thing about this.

babe:dry::dry:

One can be leverage over the other, assuming you can communicate adequately with them. Just explain to them that if they don't stop with the noise, you will have to lodge complaints, the law will get involved, and lawyers, and of course the city will take a closer look at them, and their business, and what permits they are lacking.
Then suggest perhaps them quieting down would be a much simpler and more equitable solution for both of you.
Failing that, what other choice do you have? If you try to solve the problem equitably but they won't co-operate or insist on being rude or insensitive then they have boxed you into a corner. That makes them responsible if you are forced to file complaints and it has a secondary effect of harming their business. People are responsible for their own actions.

Yes, Mav, thanks for adding this. No one wants to call the authorities if you don't have to, but doing it this way you put the onus on them.

These items were not the treatment for it. The morphine was to give her a bit of relief, the IV was inserted in preparation for surgery and the CT scan was to make sure it was indeed the appendix. When I was typing last night I was very tired, frustrated and probably didn't word things properly.

Laurie,
I don't know what to say, is there another hospital within driving distance you can go to? Or is there a patient bill of rights you can enforce in order to get more tests done and another opinion rendered?
This all reminds me of my experience a couple of months ago with our ER, funny thing is it took a nurse from Britain (here on an exchange program) speaking up to get them to do additional tests that resulted in them finding out I had had a heart attack.
The American nurses will not, for the life of them, give out any information or make any kind of suggestion or offer any kind of opinion for fear of reprisal from the doctors and higher-ups.
I don't like that policy, especially since doctors can be overworked, understaffed, tired, flippant, etc. which may lead to experiences like your daughters and mine.

Wow Laurie. Hope Tara is correctly diagnosed soon. I know I always confuse the doctors cos I don't usually present with typical symptoms. (They were using my case history of kidney failure as a test for interns - and last I heard, none of them ever get me right!) I always tell doctors that I am not "average" and to apply the "Penny Factor"! The doctors that know me well now know this to be true but they all doubt me at first and think they know my body better! (Before I was (correctly) diagnosed with kidney failure, one idiot of a locum decided that my severe pain, nausea and other symptoms were due to a bad case of wind!!!!! Scary bit is he is still probably practising medicine somewhere out there.....)

Babe, noise is a pain in a neighbourhood. Can't help you past the advice you have already been given. I have a really good ability in being able to block most of it out most of the time. Trucks - I live on a loop road and in a trucking suburb. The trucks that live in my street for some reason always feel the need to drive all around the loop every time irrespective of their location near to the entrance. Drives me insane sometimes, esp when it is in the middle of the night as their lights shine right into my bedroom (I am on the cusp of the loop). It's like a scene from "Close Encounters"! Every so often I feel beligerant enough to want to take it up with the council (cos I bet most haven't got a permit to bring their trucks home) but as I flout the council bylaws with the number of cats that I have, I try to just ignore it. Most of the time it works well that way.

Terry, how awful if it is due to the drugs! But at the same time at least you would have an answer. The stress of the situation with your mum is awful but it is good that you were able to have a good bawl! You get such a relief from it!! It helps you draw breath and tackle life's challenges afresh.

Thanks, Mav and Bilby.

Tara went to my doctor today and she ordered a whole series of tests at a different hospital (one she works out of), including the ultrasound that was never done. She has agreed to take Tara on as a patient and is very concerned about her condition. The doctor assured us that it couldn't possibly be colitis, which I knew and made Tara feel much better.

Thanks everyone and I apologize for this taking up so much of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom