Old Venting Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I got peritonitis a few months after starting and I know I got it from the hospital. Every infection relating to the kidneys (except of course the start of the KF) I got from the hospital or clinic.

The one who thought I was a self-harmer was a PD nurse. And then they missed a huge odema on my chest - and I was seeing them every week at that stage!!

I saw a dermatologist once who refused to look at me or talk to me. He had a junior doctor in the room with him and would only address him. The junior had to speak to me! Such arrogance!

OMG, I'm getting worked up just reading ya'll's posts and remembering similar experiences. CJ and Penny, my daughter got peritonitis a couple of times. Once was chemical when they changed her dialysate concentration and twice were right after a hospital stay. The doc told me they were definitely from the hospital because they were gram negative. He used to tell us that the last place a dialysis patient should be is in the hospital! (Jokingly of course, because you can't really avoid it completely with a chronic disease.)

Hospital infections like what you got, Laurie, are so common it's frightening. My daughter got one having a shunt revision and almost lost her leg as a result. (Not that they do it on purpose, of course.)

And the dematologist who wouldn't speak to you, Penny, reminded me of a geneticist we saw with one of our kids. It was exactly the same deal. He had a teaching Fellow with him and he would speak to her and then she would turn to me and repeat it all. We were in the same room!!!! I was just stunned at first - I almost thought it was some kind of joke. Finally I asked him directly if he was under the impression that I was a non-English speaker. His face turned red but all he said was "Do you have any questions?" and walked out. It was bizarre!

Anyway, I'm so sorry to hear about the rough times my friends are having here and I'm thinking of all of you and visualizing perfect and abundant health for each of you.

falling from grace.

would you believe i fell over a curb yesterday? came out of the mall and went down trying to step down from curb.

not much damage, just scraped my knees. they didn't even bleed. but boy!did i hurt today. asphalt is really hard.

so today i went to pharmacy and bought a cane. have been having problems with my knees for quite a while. not sure exactly what caused me to fall. but it did scare me.

guess i am venting my frustration of growing old.

bought a really pretty bright red cane might as well be sharp looking lol

babe:wacko:

Oldest son has now been fired, so, I have two guys, no vehicle and no job!!!!!!
I need a drink!!
Oh, Stacy.........I'm so sorry to hear........all I can say is to hang in there......make sure that your sons help you out at home in the meantime.....I'm sure that they are already and you don't have to tell them.......many people are losing their jobs now.........it's the economy.......hopefully they'll find something soon.......my son worked at very low-paying jobs for years before he got his current policeman's job..........at least it pays better than what he'd been getting and there is insurance....things will turn around......I promise you.......

Thanks, ladies. I apologize that I was coming across like a whining child. I was just so sick (from throwing up, yeast infections and pain) and sick of being sick. But I had a much better sleep and some gravol and today is another day. I know this all will be behind me soon and am stronger because of my own faith and because of friends like you.

Oh, my IV nurse last night allowed me to just let it all out and wouldn't let me leave until I had a good cry and was feeling better. Thanks for the cookie idea Kades, I think I need to make a big batch for them!

would you believe i fell over a curb yesterday? came out of the mall and went down trying to step down from curb.

not much damage, just scraped my knees. they didn't even bleed. but boy!did i hurt today. asphalt is really hard.

so today i went to pharmacy and bought a cane. have been having problems with my knees for quite a while. not sure exactly what caused me to fall. but it did scare me.

If we are lucky, we will all get old but have to accept the limitations that come with it. I relate to this exact feeling. Art Linkletter, who will is 95 years of age, always said 'old age is not for sissies'. So my curiousity is why does everybody show resentment when they see elderly people? We have to struggle to be as independent as we can. I can tell that this fall really scared you. Did you think about knee braces? It may help. Also taking some of the joint supplements may help too. Many people I talk to do have knee replacements. Getting to be quite common as well as hip replacements. babe, this may be just a warning to slow down. For some reason, there are times when I sort of stumble too. I don't know if I am not picking up my feet the way I should or what. One thing I know, is I have to keep moving regardless of what I look like. Don't go up the stairs as quickly as I'd like to.

Sorry I don't mean to make this a thread about age. But it is life, right? Good thing you aren't worried about using cane. You won't be sorry.

Babe, so sorry to here about your fall. Take it easy because even though your knees weren't scraped doesn't mean there isn't damage. I am so glad you bought a cane......and a nice colourful one! I have a black one and told DH that if I didn't get the surgery soon I was going to buy this one I saw with irridescent butterflies all over it. Looks like I won't need it now, but if I ever do again you can bet I will go in style as well.

Take good care my friend, I (and others here) worry about you....that's our job!!!!:)

OH phooey, your not old..You had an accident..I think the red cane is wonderful.I love your sense of humor...I haven't fallen at the mall but let me tell you anything is possible now because having dialysis sometimes causes bone problems..So I have to be careful when I step down as my ankle or instep will feel as if i have a broken bone and it hurts like the dickens and almost makes me fall..So you step out with your new fancy cane and you will turn heads.;)
kadesma

Thanks, ladies. I apologize that I was coming across like a whining child. I was just so sick (from throwing up, yeast infections and pain) and sick of being sick. But I had a much better sleep and some gravol and today is another day. I know this all will be behind me soon and am stronger because of my own faith and because of friends like you.

Oh, my IV nurse last night allowed me to just let it all out and wouldn't let me leave until I had a good cry and was feeling better. Thanks for the cookie idea Kades, I think I need to make a big batch for them!

Hey, if anyone has the right to sound like a whining child it's you.........whine away.......you'll feel better........and cry all you want......my shoulder and others are always

available.......always..........hang in there, GF....this must be a situation that you're really tired of........I hear it in your voice..........you must really be a strong person..........I know so......

Retirement

To my hubby it means sitting around doing nothing at all. :mad: To me , it means doing projects that need doing around and in the house , when he couldn't do it when he was working. It's not even luxury projects, it is repairing things that need repair, moving boxes out of rooms to the cellar, repainting bathroom ceiling which looks horrible with watermarks, replacing decks , pruning bushes and trees , replacing a door that is rotted away. If I could do the jobs I would do it myself. He is too cheap to call a handyman. :wacko:

Call the repairman in anyways, LC.........you can't let your house fall down around your ears........my hubby used to have a problem with that, too, but he has such a busy job he no longer protests when I call help in........he literally does not have the time to repair anything.....if hubby can't do it and he won't just call someone in...........

Hey Babe, if it makes you feel any better, I am forever walking into things or tripping over my own feet. I am a walking band-aid often. Age has nothing to do with it. I have been accident prone since I was a kid. I have sensory nerve damage to my feet cos of my anti-rejection drugs so my feet are forever getting injured. The podiatrist looks at me and asks me what happened to this toe or that foot, etc and I just shrug my shoulders cos I don't have a clue. These things happen to the best of us. Don't let it shake your confidence tough if you can help it. It can be very hard to get the confidence back again.

Laurie, never even thought for a moment that you were whining! Classic vent in my opinion!

Lady Cook, I agree with Expatgirl. Get someone in. It might inspire him to do something. Either way, you get your house repaired.

Fisher's Mom, You get it well!!!

Call the repairman in anyways, LC.........you can't let your house fall down around your ears........my hubby used to have a problem with that, too, but he has such a busy job he no longer protests when I call help in........he literally does not have the time to repair anything.....if hubby can't do it and he won't just call someone in...........

I was married to someone like this for 25 years. He wanted a home but didn't want to maintain it. After having a brother who built his own home from foundation, it was hard for me to accept his indifference. He was physically able but remained sedentary. If anything got done around this house, I had to do it. From taking up carpeting in entire house while he stayed in the basement. I did many things with help from my brother and I am first to admit does not look like professional but did the job. This is why I don't understand how people marry each other. Only know my dad abusive same way my husband was. I just think you cannot change person unless they want to change. I can see that in the family, some will see work and do it; others walk by it.

I hope I am in the right column. This gets me when two people can't seem to understand why the other one does what they do? Like all the counselors told me (5 to be exact) if he doesn't want to come to counseling couldn't do anything with only me. I just don't know how my mother did it. always said she was blessed with her kids. All of us, and we were far from perfect.

My heart goes out to you Ladycook get someone before it gets too much for you. Don't let this yahoo get by with his laziness. That is all it is, lazy. If he has to pay for it, will make a difference. money always changes things.
Sorry to be so crude but this always always hits nerve with me. Wrong nerve. I am hoping for understanding of why and how this happens?

Babe, so sorry to here about your fall. Take it easy because even though your knees weren't scraped doesn't mean there isn't damage. I am so glad you bought a cane......and a nice colourful one! I have a black one and told DH that if I didn't get the surgery soon I was going to buy this one I saw with irridescent butterflies all over it. Looks like I won't need it now, but if I ever do again you can bet I will go in style as well.

Take good care my friend, I (and others here) worry about you....that's our job!!!!:)

saw a cool one on line, it had many colors of balloons on it. would sure like to have it.

babe:cool:

I hope everyone is soon on the mend.

Babe, James bought a red cane with a dragon head on it (with a marble in its mouth, lol) just in case. He used it a few times when his knee was acting up. I ended up having to use it when my cellulitis was so bad. It's something most people don't think of until they need one, but it is a good idea to have one around!

:)Barbara

my mother-in-law inherited several beautiful canes from various relatives that she looked after..........she gave me a very nice shelaleigh (spelling????) an Irish cane made from bone because of my Irish roots.......I have it hanging on the wall at home

Another vent: DH checked our statements on Saturday and found that his Visa card (he's the only who has one as he uses it for business) had $400 that had been charged to it from a gas station in Brooklyn. The farthest north in the continental USA that he's been to in the last 5 years is Houston, TX.......thank goodness for Skype 'cause as soon as he discovered it he called their 24 hour hotline and reported it.......I think the agent called him "Sir" 50 times.......he has had this same account for 34 years and this is the first time ever that we've had any problems with credit card fraud......and he charges a lot of business to it........thankfully he's a fanatic about checking his statements.........even the agent thanked him for being a long-time customer and would get right on it..........you, know, you really feel violated but I know that it's happening everywhere

jake's not here yet & i'm starving & i've cramps, too. (poor jake:ermm::LOL:)
i so understand guys nite, cause i like nites out with my buddies, too, at least he could call so i could cook fer myself.

cook enough for 2, luvs, and keep his half warm..........either that or have some fruit......I always keep dried apricots on hand (good with a cup of hot tea as well as very nutritious) as I never know when DH is going to be home during budget time........this last week averaged at about 8:30pm......now he's in the UK on business for the next week.........

i figure i'll eat cereal & fruit. he didn't answer his phone. it's on.....
i'm craving a certain kind of yogurt & he's not here. maybe me & my pepper spray will go to get it ourselves.

i haerd from him... we're eating cereal.

I hope everyone is soon on the mend.

Babe, James bought a red cane with a dragon head on it (with a marble in its mouth, lol) just in case. He used it a few times when his knee was acting up. I ended up having to use it when my cellulitis was so bad. It's something most people don't think of until they need one, but it is a good idea to have one around!

:)Barbara

We inherited a collection of canes and walking sticks from hubby's mother. The collection sat in her house for years, collecting dust and soot from the fireplace. I had to clean it all to see what was on the canes and sticks. One cane I used for when my knee got so bad I couldn't walk, it is a plain oak cane, meaning no special engravings or anything on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom