Old Venting Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oh, Barbara, you poor thing...I'm just cringing at the thought........I well understand what you did......and where is that guardian angel that yells "Stop, Idiot!!!"????? He's certainly never around when I'm about to do something stupid..........hope you get your typing skills up to par again

Here's a new one for me. As much as I love to read, grocery shopping is getting to be a trial. After reading a dozen soup cans (looking for something under 30 gr of carbs for borderline diabetic husband), dog food and shellfish (don't want to buy stuff from China), I thought I'd just grab a bottle of Extra Virgin Olive oil. A "new" (to me) brand was on the shelf. It does say, when you first look, 100% all natural Celli Extra Virgin Olive. I mentioned it to hubby, and he read it. It is soy and sunflower oil with 15% olive oil. Ouch. It isn't going to kill me, but I really think it sould be illegal to place it next to the olive oil.

Here's a new one for me. As much as I love to read, grocery shopping is getting to be a trial. After reading a dozen soup cans (looking for something under 30 gr of carbs for borderline diabetic husband), dog food and shellfish (don't want to buy stuff from China), I thought I'd just grab a bottle of Extra Virgin Olive oil. A "new" (to me) brand was on the shelf. It does say, when you first look, 100% all natural Celli Extra Virgin Olive. I mentioned it to hubby, and he read it. It is soy and sunflower oil with 15% olive oil. Ouch. It isn't going to kill me, but I really think it sould be illegal to place it next to the olive oil.
I don't blame you. I wouldn't have a problem with it being to the side of the olive oil (not in the middle of them), but only if it was clear on the front of the label that it was a blend. If it just said olive oil on the front label, or the word "blend" was in tiny print, I would contact the company about their misleading label. I would possibly also return the bottle to the store and get what I really wanted.

:)Barbara

Claire, I'm sorry that you have to watch out for stuff like that but you must be a wonderful wife to care so much and your hubby is lucky........yeah, you are the one who has to watch what goes in your mouths..........I admire you and your perseverence...........:)

Yeah, my favorite brand for the buck is a Greek olive oil, Tasso, second favorite is Pompei. This was in the same shape and size bottle and slightly darker green in color, so I have to wonder how much food color is in in, since 85% of the oil is not from olives! Like I said, it won't kill me, it's just oil. I'm just disappointed that it is one more lable that I need a magnifying glass and study!

I can't take this!!!!!
Why on EARTH can't the kids find something to do quietly and out of the way while I make dinner????
Is there a reason that I can't just go in there and make dinner without stopping 87 times to break up a fight or put out some sort of fire??? Why is the house relatively clean when I start and torn to shreds even after I make a quick meal???
I swear I am going to cry, its every single freaking day!!!!!!
How the heck am I supposed to be cook and cop at the same time and expect anything decent to come of anything?????

How old are your kids suzi? I can't remember, sorry. Maybe, put them in separate corners of the room while you're cooking? Give them something they can play with alone. Tell them until they are "human" that is where they stay while you are cooking.

Almost 9, almost 5.... legogirl will be 3 on saturday.
Thats the cop part. I can separate all I want but I have to keep freaking stopping what I'm doing to put them back!
AAARRRRRGGGHHHHHH
Maybe I should have them play with the battery charger....

Thats the cop part. I can separate all I want but I have to keep freaking stopping what I'm doing to put them back!
AAARRRRRGGGHHHHHH

Nah, use the cables and tie 'em up!!!:ROFLMAO:

I will make some suggestions that may or may not work, Suzie, but the truth is it will be a few years before you'll have uninterrupted time in the kitchen. The only reason our moms or June Cleaver could spend the afternoon whipping up fabulous meals in pearls and heels is that they sent their kids outside to play and locked the door!!!!! Now we can't do that cuz it just isn't safe.

Some things you can try are keeping Lego girl in the kitchen with you. You can set her up with some play doh and little pots and pans and cookie cutters. The key is that those things go into a special box and can only be used in the kitchen while you are cooking. That tends to make it more appealing. But you'll still only get about 30 minutes or relatively uninterrupted time (if you're lucky). The boys must play in another room. The rule is that if they argue and cannot work it out for themselves, they will instantly be grounded from each other. You'll have to follow through a couple of times but oddly, no matter how much they argue, they absolutely hate not being able to be together.

I didn't do much of this because I couldn't cook. So instead, I fed my kids Kraft Mac N Cheese, Stouffer's frozen lasagne, Hamburger Helper, etc. Pretty much anything I could make in 20 minutes or less because that's all the time I had. When I needed to make cookies or cupcakes or whatever, I waited til they were in bed. (See what a bad mom I was? If nothing else, this should make you feel pretty good cuz at least you're trying to cook real food for your kids!)

Send the two older ones to their rooms to read or play quietly for half an hour or so before dinner. Put the 3-year-old in her highchair and give her something to occupy her while you make dinner. Keep her near enough to talk to her, but away from your work area.

:)Barbara

AAARRRRRGGGHHHHHH

At almost 9 and almost 5 I bet if you set the rules, and stuck with them, cooking would get easier. Barbara's suggestion is a good one. If they don't listen start taking things away...the more they don't listen the more things get taken away (things, privileges, etc.). Just be sure that whatever the punishment/reward is you can stick to it and the punishment doesn't involve the whole family.

use reverse psychology.........tell them that you expect them to stay in the kitchen under you feet and they HAVE to be fighting and arguing in order to stay...............take plenty of Excedrin before you start..........#2 more serious idea.........offer a nice dessert on hand and give each one of them a "ticket" Each time you have to correct them tear off one of them....be sure that they know exactly what the violations are that will get them a torn off stub....they've got them in their hands and see exactly how many more "chances" they have........if they lose their 3 chances NO dessert..........with Lego girl only being 2 you might have to use another strategy.......have a cabinet that she has access to with pots and pans and plasticware.......my granddaughter would play for hours with sudsy water and plastic dishes......scoot a chair up to the sink, put an apron on her, and a towel under her and then work as fast you you can........they love the tactile sensation and it relaxes them.......play some great music while you cook..........one day you will miss the noise......truly I promise.........

something else I forgot to add.........many times kids act up before dinner because of low blood sugar........make sure that an hour/hour and a half before dinner that they have had a light protein snack.....peanut butter crackers, cheese crackers,etc., celery sticks with peanut butter or cheese, and milk if they'll drink it.......

When my kids were smaller, and to this day at times, I would busy them with something to do individually if I knew I needed some non-interrupted time. Coloring pictures, writing a letter to Nana, having them make a new "book", etc. Just something to keep their little minds and hands thinking and occupied. It seemed easier for me to do the individual thing because even though I knew they would play well together, it was nice for the quiet time. :)

OK would you tell someone something just because you know its what they want to hear?
Let me explain a little, 2 weeks ago hubby and I had the big blow up that I knew was comming (having trouble for quite awhile) anyway he wanted the truth from me and I guess I finally had the nerve to tell him some things. The things I told him hurt him and I understand that he's hurt and angry.
Anyway this morning he asked if anything has changed, I know he wanted to hear that everything had started to change,but it really hasn't. When I tried to explain to him that things have to be rebuilt and it's not just going to happen overnight, he got mad.
I'm so frustrated I don't want to basically lie and say everything is fine, which I've been doing for quite awhile. But in being truthful I know it hurts him.
I know if I don't stay strong and stick to my guns things will be just like they were and I can't do that. I have finally taken control of me. I'm trying not to let him control the situation mostly he does this through guilt, I'm not sure what I want so when he starts the guilt trips I start thinking that it's just easier to give in so I don't get the guilt trip.
He did agree to go to a counsler,but we can't get into one for another month, unless someone cancels.
Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom