Older home question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
Does anyone know why the builders on some older homes had a doorway to the outside on the front of the house.

I noticed today an older 2 story home. On the front of the house on the 2nd floor there was a door directly above the one that was on the 1st floor. There is no stairway leading you down from the 2nd floor door but just a balcony.

I then continued to drive around and saw a few others with the same doors but these did not even have balconies.

What was the purpose of these doors? Were they fire exits?

Thanks

I don't know, Sizz. Maybe they were for additional ventilation. Buck and I live in an old house, built in 1880. There are 5 exterior doors on the first floor, one on the second floor and one on the third floor.

The one on the second floor opens to the sleeping porch, which is off our bedroom sitting area. The one on the third floor opens onto what is called the widow's porch, not widow's walk.

The sleeping porch was used in the summer months when it was too hot to sleep in the bedroom. Families would pull a mattress onto the porch and sleep there.

Old houses are full of doors and windows. Our house has 52 windows and 34 doors, counting interior and exterior doors. Most of the interior doors have transoms over them, which allows for great air circulation.

Katie...the ventilation thing makes since. I was just curious and can't believe I hadn't noticed these details on the houses before. I think its because I'm not in a class that is dealing with architecture so I'm paying a bit more attention. Thanks for the thoughts!

Miss Sizz...

Is it possible that the balcony/porch etc. has been removed during a remodel? A second/third story 'outside door' that leads to no where would be very strange.

That could be a little dangerous for someone who walked in his sleep.

Another thought...perhaps it's a door to another dimension. :huh:

Our house has 52 windows and 34 doors, counting interior and exterior doors. Most of the interior doors have transoms over them, which allows for great air circulation.

That's a lot of windows to wash and woodwork to paint! I grew up in an old house, but it wasn't that large. It did have a nice sleeping porch across the back that was almost like a tree house, up among the branches of huge oak trees.
It had beautiful woodwork, all white, which my mother (a teacher) painted every other summer, and patched on the alternate years.

Sizz, Sounds like a really neat house! I don't know where you are located but a few of the houses in our area also have exits and great visibility on all fours sides of the house. Some of these houses were safe houses for the underground railroad. the visibility and escapability, (if that's a word) were important. This could, however, be due to a removed balcony as mentioned above. For the fun of it, check into the history of your house. Post a photo if you can, would love to see.

That's a lot of windows to wash and woodwork to paint! It did have a nice sleeping porch across the back that was almost like a tree house, up among the branches of huge oak trees.

Connie...I don't do windows. Well not all of them.

And, yes, our sleeping porch is shaded by huge oak trees. It's really nice to walk out onto it and see into the treetops. There's nothing more fun than to be eye-to-eye with a squirrel and go: bwaaaah!

That's a lot of windows to wash and woodwork to paint! I grew up in an old house, but it wasn't that large. It did have a nice sleeping porch across the back that was almost like a tree house, up among the branches of huge oak trees.
It had beautiful woodwork, all white, which my mother (a teacher) painted every other summer, and patched on the alternate years.

Constance you think it is still around? Sounds wonderful. The memories you must have about it. You are lucky. I would like to have one like that today.

A lot of older houses had front porches on the ground and second floors. When they rotted, they were sometimes torn down rather than repaired, leaving the second floor door to oblivion

:)Ive seen doors on the second floor that opened to nothing they had them in Europe and Colorado in snow country so if they had so much snow it buried the house the only way to get outside was from the second floor therefore a door on the top floor.Not much a worry these days:(

It sounds like UB and Andy have hit it on the head in that maybe there were second story patios in the past? But also, I know that fire codes require multiple exits based on the square footage of your home and the layout. A minimum of exits is required, and windows count as exits (and so do doors obviously). Often you see those windows (often called gables) on the roof that are part of an attic room, and those aren’t there for decoration, but are often required by fire code (at least one) as an escape route should the house catch on fire. Perhaps those extra doors led to balconies or stairs in the past and were put there to meet the fire code?

I assume a 2nd story porch/balcony. Or maybe they were hoping to be able to build one in the future. I live in a small town that has something like 90% old buildings (my home was built in 1854), and usually it was two story porches. I just spent a small fortune putting the original porch back on our house. But if you'd come to visit five years ago you'd see two houses with second story doors. We have a strict zoning board, when you do anything to the front of the house it has to go through them and the historical advisory. In both cases they put two-storey porches on, so there will be no more doors to nowhere. In Europe I've seen doors that have a step and railing (not an entire balcony, just that you can open the door and step outside, literally only maybe a foot, if that) and have a window box of flowers. But in my town, it usually means there was once a two-storey porch.

Constance you think it is still around? Sounds wonderful. The memories you must have about it. You are lucky. I would like to have one like that today.

Yes, it is. My parents sold it when they got older, and moved in to a smaller house where they had less up-keep, and it fell into a state of disrepair, which broke my heart. But it was very well-built, and has cypress siding which will never rot. An antique dealer finally bought it, and has cleaned it up nicely.

I still have dreams about that house. I got my first kiss there, sitting in the window seat with my boyfriend.

Thanks everyone for your input. Since I last posted I've noted another home here in town with the same thing. I bet there was a balcony and it was removed during remodeling.

That could be a little dangerous for someone who walked in his sleep.

Another thought...perhaps it's a door to another dimension. :huh:

I have a friend whose brother remodeled an old house that used to have a two story porch that was later removed. Friends and family helped in the interior remodeling, but the exterior work, including the porch, was contracted out and scheduled for after the interior. Well, when the interior was finished, the brother threw a big party with much merriment and everyone wound up very well lubricated. My friend made a wrong turn out of the upstairs bathroom, opened the door, and stepped out into a 12 foot drop. This was 25 years ago, and he hasn't had another drink since!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom