"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-04-2014, 08:06 AM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

It is not the logo that makes their food suck.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:35 AM   #12
Executive Chef

I grew up loving pasta, but it was what my mother made at the end of the month when money was getting short. A big pot of spaghetti and we were all full. So I associate it with cheap food, and like someone already said, you can make a pasta meal at home with a $1 box of pasta and a $2 jar of sauce. So I don't want to go to a restaurant and pay $15 for the same thing. Having said that, our local OG always had a long line and a long wait period to be seated. So not everyone feels the same way about it. When I eat out I usually order fish or seafood because that is something I rarely prepare at home.

Old 03-04-2014, 08:36 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
A new logo will not help. The new logo Arby's took on did not help and in fact they reverted back to the old one.

That aside ... I do not understand why people keep on saying that Olive Garden is NOT Italian food.

Neither is Pizza but you find it on Italian restaurant menus!

I would like to know just exactly how many people have actually been to Italy and eaten true Italian food.

Now ... those of you who keep putting down that restaurant because it does not fit your ideal of Italian might want to consider all the people who do frequent that place.

Yes it is always crowded and I understand the earlier statement of it reminding one of a cafeteria with all the people.

But it is crowded because people like eating there.

Anyone can make a burger at home but how many go out for burgers .. millions every day.

Anyone can make breakfast at home but how many go out for breakfast every day .. millions.

So why can't people who make spaghetti and lasagna etc at home go enjoy having someone else do the cooking and cleaning?

Olive Garden is a good place to eat for those who enjoy it. For those who don't .. fine .. go elsewhere but stop belittling those who consider it Italian food.

And one more thing, it is not always food that makes for the memorable times.
Well said!

Many love to hop on the olive garden bashing bandwagon, I'm not sure why that particular chain is always singled out. If the food was truly awful nobody would go there. Taste is subjective, and just because you don't like something doesn't mean that you should tell people that do enjoy something that they are wrong for doing so. I'll never understand that mentality.

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Discuss Cooking mobile app

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 08:52 AM   #14
Master Chef

For me Olive Garden is a "coupon" restaurant.

The kind of place you go for lunch or the early bird special when you are flying around town running errands with friends. Someone says "how about Olive Garden" and someone else says "I've got a coupon", so you swing in for a cheap and flashy meal.

It's more about the company than the food!
Old 03-04-2014, 09:54 AM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
It is not the logo that makes their food suck.

Exactly.

They should be pinning their hopes of success on improving their food.
Old 03-04-2014, 05:11 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
For me Olive Garden is a "coupon" restaurant.

The kind of place you go for lunch or the early bird special when you are flying around town running errands with friends. Someone says "how about Olive Garden" and someone else says "I've got a coupon", so you swing in for a cheap and flashy meal.

It's more about the company than the food!
I do not mind the use of any coupon at any restaurant..
Old 03-04-2014, 05:23 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleenex View Post

I do not mind the use of any coupon at any restaurant..
Same here. Groupon or LivingSocial, anyone?

I used to like OG better, but the pastas seem to be too much pasta and not enough other stuff; we also used to get salad/bread sticks and a couple of appetizers to share, but they've discontinued our favorites or prepare them differently

But I love the soup/salad/bread sticks deal and I always order a dish of marinara for dipping the bread.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:46 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Ditto on the Soup Salad Breadstick deal. It's nice to be able to have different soups with that salad and breadsticks and seriously, you can't beat the price.

We are planning a trip over there (it's 24 miles ) to check out the new additions to their menu sometime this month.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:08 PM   #19
Executive Chef

I have eaten in Olive House twice. Once for lunch and once for dinner.
I doubt I would go back as i went to dinner with my wife and she was not impressed.
When I went for lunch, someone else paid for it, so I was not about to say anything negative.

Its okay, is the best I can come up with.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:37 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Same here. Groupon or LivingSocial, anyone?

I used to like OG better, but the pastas seem to be too much pasta and not enough other stuff; we also used to get salad/bread sticks and a couple of appetizers to share, but they've discontinued our favorites or prepare them differently

But I love the soup/salad/bread sticks deal and I always order a dish of marinara for dipping the bread.
The thing that hacks me off about restaurant coupons is that they are always for two people. All these places ignore the power of the single woman. If she gets good food and good service when she goes alone, she'll take her friends next time and recommend it to others.

I go to a small privately owned restaurant near home for lunch two or three times a month. I don't get shoved at the table behind the giant pot plant on the way to the toilets because I'm alone and therefore embarrassing (to whom?), the staff have never been either falsely sycophantic or sneering and the owner treats me like a long lost friend. If I chose something that they don't think I'll like they say so and if I ask what they recommend today I get an honest answer (which is not always the most expensive dish on the menu unlike some places). That restaurant is the top of my list of recommendations.

Tags
menu