Olive Garden pins hopes on new logo, menu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We have a chain here called Butucci's. They make a delicious sausage soup. The first time I ordered it, "delicious!" The second time, greasy. But that didn't stop me from ordering it again the next time. Back to delicious. I guess it all depends on who is cooking that day. It is not only a fast service restaurant for the working person and a quick lunch, but a sit down, much slower pace for adults at night. And it is family friendly. I love the fact that they give the kids little pieces of dough to make their own pizzas. It keeps them busy while waiting for their food. The family dining room is separate from the one where couples just want to enjoy a meal together. :angel:

The thing that hacks me off about restaurant coupons is that they are always for two people. All these places ignore the power of the single woman. If she gets good food and good service when she goes alone, she'll take her friends next time and recommend it to others.

I go to a small privately owned restaurant near home for lunch two or three times a month. I don't get shoved at the table behind the giant pot plant on the way to the toilets because I'm alone and therefore embarrassing (to whom?), the staff have never been either falsely sycophantic or sneering and the owner treats me like a long lost friend. If I chose something that they don't think I'll like they say so and if I ask what they recommend today I get an honest answer (which is not always the most expensive dish on the menu unlike some places). That restaurant is the top of my list of recommendations.
Yay for restos that treat a woman alone as a real person.

Around here, most coupons are for 2nd meal half price or 2 for 1. The exceptions seem to be mostly fast food places.

I eat out a lot and I travel a fair amount. I don't always want or expect fine dining; I just need a meal. When Olive Garden opened years ago I welcomed them - it was a good addition to the various chain options and the food while perhaps not authentic Italian, was decent and the price was fair.

Often when I eat out and I"m just looking for a decent meal and calm place to have it; not a high end dining experience. In my book Olive Garden meets the first of these requirements - the food is OK. It's the second part that is a fail. The restaurants themselves are chaotic, noisy and often a mess. Tables are turned quickly, menus are sticky, there is little attention to comfort. They feel more like a fast food place but with table service and this is the reason I avoid them. my guess is that others feel the same way....

Maybe they're better run here, always clean, better than average chain service and even when busy doesn't seem chaotic, at least no more than other restaurants.

We don't have OG here, but the one we've been to 40 minutes away has always been decent. I would agree with Bakechef, better than average chain.

I think the worst chain restaurant I have been to has to be Applebee's. The two times I have been there, I ordered a steak, med. rare. Both times it was still frozen solid in the middle. If I have to send a dish back to the kitchen, I don't want anything else to replace it. Just take it off the bill and let me get out of there. I will still leave a tip. After all, it wasn't the wait person who does the cooking, or lack of it. :angel:

I think the worst chain restaurant I have been to has to be Applebee's. The two times I have been there, I ordered a steak, med. rare. Both times it was still frozen solid in the middle. If I have to send a dish back to the kitchen, I don't want anything else to replace it. Just take it off the bill and let me get out of there. I will still leave a tip. After all, it wasn't the wait person who does the cooking, or lack of it. :angel:
My mom says that she has a great Applebee's near her, but I've never experienced a good one, so I've just given up on them, for that type of food we do have a local chain that is fantastic.

I agree that Applebee's is the worst chain place I've eaten in. But we used to go to happy hour at the Applebee's across from the World Trade Center in NYC quite often.

Friendly's is a close second.

Olive Garden is probably third. I think their food tastes like it's from the supermarket frozen food case, sorry.

We have an Applebee's here in town, talk about crowded and noisy. And for some reason there's always a waiting list at night. The food started out OK, but now is just mediocre. There are so many more good, locally owned places, we much prefer those.

We have an Italian restaurant here in Eastie. They have no branches and all the food is cooked right on the premises. The restaurant is more than 50 years old and the same family owns it. It is the one restaurant this family goes to when there is a very special occasion to celebrate. I have never been to OG and have no need to. T.G.I.F. is another restaurant I choose not to darken their door again. Reading the menu is like reading a list of foods and how many they can add booze to. And please don't tell me the alcohol burns off. We have already had that conversation. :angel:

We have an Italian restaurant here in Eastie. They have no branches and all the food is cooked right on the premises. The restaurant is more than 50 years old and the same family owns it. It is the one restaurant this family goes to when there is a very special occasion to celebrate. I have never been to OG and have no need to. T.G.I.F. is another restaurant I choose not to darken their door again. Reading the menu is like reading a list of foods and how many they can add booze to. And please don't tell me the alcohol burns off. We have already had that conversation. :angel:

I'm willing to be that most of those foods don't even have the booze that they are supposed to. Went there years ago and their bourbon sauce just tasted like syrup.

Rinos ?

Should I want a good steak, I will never go to Applebee's to get it.

It seems restaurants should be chosen as to what they do the best at. Steaks at Applebee's is a prime example. They are not a steak house.

It has gotten to the point that going out to eat is more of a crap shoot for us. We have not eaten out in the last few years where we said that we could not do a much better job at home.

Last edited:
Should I want a good steak, I will never go to Applebee's to get it.

It seems restaurants should be chosen as to what they do the best at. Steaks at Applebee's is a prime example. They are not a steak house.

It has gotten to the point that going out to eat is more of a crap shoot for us. We have not eaten out in the last few years where we said that we could not do a much better job at home.

That is one of my mom's bits of advice growing up: Always order the type of food a restaurant specializes in. You're less likely to be disappointed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom