"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-02-2012, 05:49 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Olive Garden-Red Lobster combo stores opening up....

Darden Sees Olive-Garden-Red Lobster Making New Revenue: Retail - Bloomberg

Quote:
The first combination store opened in March 2011 in Flagler County, Florida. The locations, which are typically about the same size as a single Darden restaurant, have a separate entrance and dining room for each brand while sharing bathrooms, the bar area and the kitchen.

While the combo stores are a test, sales at the Flagler County restaurant are “up to expectations,” Caron said. “We think there’s opportunity there.”
Even though they have two entrances can I order off both menus??? They share the same kitchen??

Old 07-02-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
Executive Chef

They should add an In 'n Out entrance, and a Souplantation entrance, and a Denny's/Norm's entrance, and a Taco Bell entrance...

And then we'd have a food court turned inside-out!

Stupid idea on their part... Fail...

Old 07-02-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Different chain but we have Taco Bell / KFC and Long John Silvers / A&W combo fast food restaurants here.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Around here, there are a host of better choices for Italian, seafood, and Italian seafood. I don't see it happening.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:23 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
For a while we had a Harvey's (excellent burgers) and Dunkin Donut combo. That worked well. Go for a burger and then go for coffee & dessert. There was also a Baskin Robbins at the DD.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:19 PM   #6
Cook

Hilarious! Ridiculous, as well. What next? A t.g.i.fridays/p.f. chang's combo? The corporate food market is ridiculous place.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:26 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I can see this as a good option for places with a smaller population. Smaller towns can now have both restaurants without the company having to lay out the cash for two separate businesses.

While it is great that some cities have great options for Italian and seafood, there are many many who don't, so places like Olive Garden are their best option.

While I don't think that Olive Garden is authentic, there are times when it fits the bill, consistent food, good service and a decent atmosphere. When I'm traveling and I am unsure about the local food, this type of restaurant is usually convenient to where I'm staying.

Sometimes we are just in the mood for dinner with a bunch of cheese, and zuppa toscana, so we go to OG.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 10:19 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four String Chef View Post
Hilarious! Ridiculous, as well. What next? A t.g.i.fridays/p.f. chang's combo? The corporate food market is ridiculous place.
I say why not if you could order from both menus...

order the Dragonfire Salmon from TGIFridays and the Changs Chicken Lettuce wraps.

I have a new question though... On Mother's day which is a high traffic day for the restaurants I wonder if the combo restaurants have more problems withh seating.....
Old 07-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #9
Cook

I don't know why it would be worse than anywhere else. Corporate establishments go in knowing how much they will roughly make. If its not enough, they won't even do. If they go in with 40 tables then they know that the 40 tables will be enough to make what they need to make. After that its all about turn'n'burn. How quick you can flip tables. These establishments are all about lowest quality at the highest rate they can sell it for and getting as many people as possible in and out the door.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:34 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

It's called running a business. No restaurant is going to be profitable if they can't turn tables, well unless they are charging outrageous prices.

Corporate restaurants are very good at making money, its the whole point of their existence. If they were truly horrible, people would choose not to eat there. Not everyone is a pretentious foodie, and actually enjoy eating in these places, I know that is hard for some people to believe.

If you live in a food city where there are great independents at every turn, that's wonderful, but most don't. I have tried quite a few "family run" Italian places in my city and the quality is usually inconsistent, prices are high and value is low. I would love to have better options, but my city doesn't. Luckily, good Italian food is easy to make at home.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lobster