Olive Garden-Red Lobster combo stores opening up....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kleenex

Master Chef
Darden Sees Olive-Garden-Red Lobster Making New Revenue: Retail - Bloomberg

The first combination store opened in March 2011 in Flagler County, Florida. The locations, which are typically about the same size as a single Darden restaurant, have a separate entrance and dining room for each brand while sharing bathrooms, the bar area and the kitchen.

While the combo stores are a test, sales at the Flagler County restaurant are “up to expectations,” Caron said. “We think there’s opportunity there.”

Even though they have two entrances can I order off both menus??? They share the same kitchen??

They should add an In 'n Out entrance, and a Souplantation entrance, and a Denny's/Norm's entrance, and a Taco Bell entrance...

And then we'd have a food court turned inside-out! :)

Stupid idea on their part... Fail...

Different chain but we have Taco Bell / KFC and Long John Silvers / A&W combo fast food restaurants here.

Around here, there are a host of better choices for Italian, seafood, and Italian seafood. I don't see it happening.

For a while we had a Harvey's (excellent burgers) and Dunkin Donut combo. That worked well. Go for a burger and then go for coffee & dessert. There was also a Baskin Robbins at the DD.

Hilarious! Ridiculous, as well. What next? A t.g.i.fridays/p.f. chang's combo? The corporate food market is ridiculous place.

I can see this as a good option for places with a smaller population. Smaller towns can now have both restaurants without the company having to lay out the cash for two separate businesses.

While it is great that some cities have great options for Italian and seafood, there are many many who don't, so places like Olive Garden are their best option.

While I don't think that Olive Garden is authentic, there are times when it fits the bill, consistent food, good service and a decent atmosphere. When I'm traveling and I am unsure about the local food, this type of restaurant is usually convenient to where I'm staying.

Sometimes we are just in the mood for dinner with a bunch of cheese, and zuppa toscana, so we go to OG.

Last edited:
Hilarious! Ridiculous, as well. What next? A t.g.i.fridays/p.f. chang's combo? The corporate food market is ridiculous place.

I say why not if you could order from both menus...

order the Dragonfire Salmon from TGIFridays and the Changs Chicken Lettuce wraps.

I have a new question though... On Mother's day which is a high traffic day for the restaurants I wonder if the combo restaurants have more problems withh seating.....

I don't know why it would be worse than anywhere else. Corporate establishments go in knowing how much they will roughly make. If its not enough, they won't even do. If they go in with 40 tables then they know that the 40 tables will be enough to make what they need to make. After that its all about turn'n'burn. How quick you can flip tables. These establishments are all about lowest quality at the highest rate they can sell it for and getting as many people as possible in and out the door.

It's called running a business. No restaurant is going to be profitable if they can't turn tables, well unless they are charging outrageous prices.

Corporate restaurants are very good at making money, its the whole point of their existence. If they were truly horrible, people would choose not to eat there. Not everyone is a pretentious foodie, and actually enjoy eating in these places, I know that is hard for some people to believe.

If you live in a food city where there are great independents at every turn, that's wonderful, but most don't. I have tried quite a few "family run" Italian places in my city and the quality is usually inconsistent, prices are high and value is low. I would love to have better options, but my city doesn't. Luckily, good Italian food is easy to make at home.

I didn't say it was horrible. Of course there are different levels quality concerning these types of establishments. The difference between Red Lobster and Long John Silver's. I understand that having these types of establishments in smaller town is great for both sides. My town specifically does not allow these types of establishments to be built or operated within city limits. They want that small Texas town feel. And most of us in the food service industry around here agree whole heartedly. Go eat where you want, I say. We "pretentious foodies" don't care what people think of our food choices.

Last edited:
RL and OG are 2 of my favorite chains. Would love to have them in our little town. We have excellent Mexican restaurants, decent Orientals (Thai, Korean, and Chinese), and a marginal Applebee's. That's about it.

Back
Top Bottom