Olive oil versus extra-virgin olive oil?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jd_1138

Sous Chef
There used to be a price differential between EVOO and olive oil, but over the past few years the difference has disappeared. Now they are the same price in most brands around here. Seems kind of strange that they are the same price, since EVOO is made from the first "pressing" of the olives. I am not complaining. :)

Are they interchangeable? I use EVOO for everything -- salads, cooking, etc.. I usually buy the Gia Russa brand. Funny it says "imported from Italy" on the front, but on the back it says olives may come from Greece, Tunisia, etc., and the bottle I bought today says the olives are from Tunisia. I guess they may have ended up in Italy and were exported from Italy. Oh well, not a biggie.

Attachments

• evoo5.jpg
    evoo5.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 182
EVOO is not really suitable for deep frying since it has some impurities and, also, is a waste of a superior oil best tasted in its natural state e.g. in salads.

(It can be used in frying although it is more inclined to smoke at a lower temperature).

It is rumored the olive oil imported to the US from Europe is not top shelf quality, but the stuff they won't use. Look to California for top shelf finishing oil and better quality evoo.

I'd agree with you jd. I see no reason to buy anything other than EVOO since the price point is so close, why wouldn't I? There are several good choices and prices at Trader Joe's.

I don't deep fry anything, but if I did it sure wouldn't be with any kind of olive oil because of the smoke point. Creative, where did you get the idea that EVOO is "impure" for deep frying.

I don't deep fry anything, but if I did it sure wouldn't be with any kind of olive oil because of the smoke point. Creative, where did you get the idea that EVOO is "impure" for deep frying.
Oh I should have specified. I was referring to cold pressed extra virgin olive oil which has organic particles in it, not suited to high temperatures (since they burn). I favour this kind of oil for salads.

So do I understand you correctly Creative? You purchase inferior olive oil for what reason?
Huh? No of course not! You have misunderstood. Cold pressed extra virgin olive oil is of superior quality (but it does have some natural remnants in it). It is too good to use for deep frying (mostly a waste), for which it is not suited for anyway. I try to buy organic where I can too.
color.gif

Last edited:
It is rumored the olive oil imported to the US from Europe is not top shelf quality, but the stuff they won't use. Look to California for top shelf finishing oil and better quality evoo.

I think that used to be the case, but in 2010, the United States finally established standards for extra virgin olive oil, so the quality of imported oils has been better. That might also explain why the prices have stabilized.

I buy different olive oils for different uses. I get an inexpensive supermarket evoo for sautéing and general cooking.

For salad and other raw uses, I get two different oils from a local specialty store that allows you to taste them before buying. DH likes one from Chile that is more peppery while I like one from Australia that is more fruity. They're much more expensive than the supermarket ones, but well worth it, imo.

Are they interchangeable? I use EVOO for everything -- salads, cooking, etc.. I usually buy the Gia Russa brand. Funny it says "imported from Italy" on the front, but on the back it says olives may come from Greece, Tunisia, etc., and the bottle I bought today says the olives are from Tunisia. I guess they may have ended up in Italy and were exported from Italy. Oh well, not a biggie.

Italy can't keep up with the growth in demand for olive oil of all types, but many Americans still associate it with the best, so Italian producers buy olives or olive oil from other countries. They might then make olive oil themselves or blend it from several sources and bottle and sell it, or sell oils to American bottlers.

Back
Top Bottom