"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-14-2016, 01:51 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Olive oil versus extra-virgin olive oil?

There used to be a price differential between EVOO and olive oil, but over the past few years the difference has disappeared. Now they are the same price in most brands around here. Seems kind of strange that they are the same price, since EVOO is made from the first "pressing" of the olives. I am not complaining.

Are they interchangeable? I use EVOO for everything -- salads, cooking, etc.. I usually buy the Gia Russa brand. Funny it says "imported from Italy" on the front, but on the back it says olives may come from Greece, Tunisia, etc., and the bottle I bought today says the olives are from Tunisia. I guess they may have ended up in Italy and were exported from Italy. Oh well, not a biggie.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	evoo5.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	24324  

Old 02-14-2016, 05:33 AM   #2
Head Chef

Lightbulb

EVOO is not really suitable for deep frying since it has some impurities and, also, is a waste of a superior oil best tasted in its natural state e.g. in salads.

(It can be used in frying although it is more inclined to smoke at a lower temperature).

Old 02-14-2016, 06:58 AM   #3
Executive Chef

It is rumored the olive oil imported to the US from Europe is not top shelf quality, but the stuff they won't use. Look to California for top shelf finishing oil and better quality evoo.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:17 PM   #4
Master Chef

I'd agree with you jd. I see no reason to buy anything other than EVOO since the price point is so close, why wouldn't I? There are several good choices and prices at Trader Joe's.

I don't deep fry anything, but if I did it sure wouldn't be with any kind of olive oil because of the smoke point. Creative, where did you get the idea that EVOO is "impure" for deep frying.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 12:26 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I don't deep fry anything, but if I did it sure wouldn't be with any kind of olive oil because of the smoke point. Creative, where did you get the idea that EVOO is "impure" for deep frying.
Oh I should have specified. I was referring to cold pressed extra virgin olive oil which has organic particles in it, not suited to high temperatures (since they burn). I favour this kind of oil for salads.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:43 PM   #6
Master Chef

So do I understand you correctly Creative? You purchase inferior olive oil for what reason?

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 01:40 PM   #7
Head Chef

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
So do I understand you correctly Creative? You purchase inferior olive oil for what reason?
Huh? No of course not! You have misunderstood. Cold pressed extra virgin olive oil is of superior quality (but it does have some natural remnants in it). It is too good to use for deep frying (mostly a waste), for which it is not suited for anyway. I try to buy organic where I can too.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:35 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
It is rumored the olive oil imported to the US from Europe is not top shelf quality, but the stuff they won't use. Look to California for top shelf finishing oil and better quality evoo.
I think that used to be the case, but in 2010, the United States finally established standards for extra virgin olive oil, so the quality of imported oils has been better. That might also explain why the prices have stabilized.

I buy different olive oils for different uses. I get an inexpensive supermarket evoo for sautéing and general cooking.

For salad and other raw uses, I get two different oils from a local specialty store that allows you to taste them before buying. DH likes one from Chile that is more peppery while I like one from Australia that is more fruity. They're much more expensive than the supermarket ones, but well worth it, imo.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:43 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_1138 View Post
Are they interchangeable? I use EVOO for everything -- salads, cooking, etc.. I usually buy the Gia Russa brand. Funny it says "imported from Italy" on the front, but on the back it says olives may come from Greece, Tunisia, etc., and the bottle I bought today says the olives are from Tunisia. I guess they may have ended up in Italy and were exported from Italy. Oh well, not a biggie.
Italy can't keep up with the growth in demand for olive oil of all types, but many Americans still associate it with the best, so Italian producers buy olives or olive oil from other countries. They might then make olive oil themselves or blend it from several sources and bottle and sell it, or sell oils to American bottlers.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:25 AM   #10
Cook

So that means the things like deep frying one should not use EVOO. And the thing in which we want oil's natural state we can use EVOO. ??

Tags
oil, olive oil