Olympic Opening Ceremonies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
I only watched about an hour. I have the rest taped and will watch later. I was thoroughly impressed though. Each thing was more impressive than the next. I wish I was there. That would have been something to see live.

Some was awesome, so of it was boring and overdone. I loved the beginning where they played the lit drums, that was cool.

It was just spectacular. Synchronized drumming and dancing, dancers "painting" with their bodies on a giant, 140'x70' (I think) LED screen, gorgeous fireworks. It was really beautiful. I went to bed about halfway through the parade of athletes, though.

I DVR'd it and will watch it today with some friends. Fortunately I recorded it for 1 hour longer than the guide showed. Good thing I did because it ran overtime and I would have missed the lighting. I turned it on about 1/2 hour before it ended to see the much talked about lighting of the torch. If you missed it, I hope you can catch it on a news program. It was the most awesome, unusual and ingenious lighting I have ever seen. The crowd went wild. The Chinese have outdone everyone on this one.

I DVR'd it and will watch it today with some friends. Fortunately I recorded it for 1 hour longer than the guide showed. Good thing I did because it ran overtime and I would have missed the lighting. I turned it on about 1/2 hour before it ended to see the much talked about lighting of the torch. If you missed it, I hope you can catch it on a news program. It was the most awesome, unusual and ingenious lighting I have ever seen. The crowd went wild. The Chinese have outdone everyone on this one.

Don't you wonder why everything over here made in China?

Watched the whole thing. Spectacular is right.
I can't imagine topping this one.
But I wondered about worse air quality than is already there with the magnificant fire works display. And it looked so hot, everyone shown was dripping wet.
I loved the man 'walking on air' that lit the torch.

All the pomp certainly let people forget about their own troubles and celebrate their individual national pride.
No matter how proud us americans think about our country, I realized so do others, and that each nation has people and things they can be proud of.
I'm not so interested in most of the sports venues, but I'm certainly glad I watched the opening.

The tragedies attached are unfortunate and convenient for personal attacks that I hope don't detract from these young peoples' accomplishments. They've worked so hard. And even if most don't win world acclaim, to me they are all winners, and will carry this pride with them for the rest of their lives, and rightfully so.
God Bless everyone of them and the families that have supported them.​

Wa Hooo!!! As of this morning.....................

USA - 44
CHINA - 37

Right, but China has far surpassed the USA in gold. China doesn't care about second and third place, they want to be number one in gold and they are. As far as I'm concerned, I think we're doing fine. We are still ahead of the rest of the world.

I was listening to a report on NPR a few weeks ago. There was a guy who created a computer program that predicts who will win the most medals and who will win the most gold. His program has historically been 98% accurate. It predicted that US will win in medal count, but China will win in golds. The margin was just two golds though so the US could beat them according to his model.

Way to go, guys!!! That was a great race :) and a great Olympics for Michael Phelps. Haven't had much sleep this week, with the swimming and the gymnastics. Congrats to Nastia and Shawn, too, for going 1-2 in the women's all-around gymnastics.

Woohoo!!!!!!! Congratulations Michael Phelps!!!!! Has won 8 Olympic gold medals this time around!!! He's AWSOME!!!

Back
Top Bottom