"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-23-2008, 02:28 PM   #11
Master Chef

I think it lacks quality and portion, but that is MHO on it. I stopped buying meat from those places and buy it from a local pasture now. (I have shopped with many online meat companys... it's not worth it if you have access to a local cattle farmer or quality meat at your grocery store.)

Old 01-23-2008, 02:31 PM   #12
Master Chef

IMO it's a rip off.

Just north of a pound of steak.

Chicken, pork chops, hot dogs, burgers and potatoes.

I think you can do much better than that.

I ordered the steaks/burgers once and thought the steak was good but way overpriced. I can do much better locally. The burgers weren't good at all.
Plus they hounded me -- hounded, I tell you -- to reorder.

Old 01-23-2008, 02:39 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Plus they hounded me -- hounded, I tell you -- to reorder.
I had that same problem!!! I got calls at work every other day about new 'special offers' they had. Arrrrrrghhhhh!!!
Old 01-23-2008, 02:43 PM   #14
Head Chef

Have gotten Omaha steak packages as gifts. Never purchased one for ourselves.

They are OK. But if you can find fresh beef, cut relatively thick, they are not competetive in terms of flavor. Not by a long shot.

To us just OK, but it ain't bad.

Wish I could your decision simpler, but that is all I can offer.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:20 PM   #15
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
If ya order in the next 30 minutes do they send TWO packages????
No, but if you order two packages (which is the limit) sent to two different addresses, they send a cutting board/knife set to each address. These sets (I have three) are perfect housewarming gifts for someone just starting out in their own place.

That particular package (you left out the 4 fillet mignons!) is the only package I order because that's the only one I have seen that is actually worth the price. Some of the "special offers" I've had them offer me worked out to almost 30 bucks a pound. I told them, for 30 bucks I could buy a whole cow!

You can't price this out in a supermarket because the quality of Omaha Steaks products is much better than you'll find in any grocery store. Now, you could try pricing it out in a butcher shop. That would be closer to the quality you get from Omaha Steaks.

What I like best about this particular package, besides the price, is each item, except for the au gratin potatoes, is individually vacuum packed and frozen into perfectly sized portions. Yes, everyone, those are PERFECT PORTIONS! 4 to 5 ounces each. One serving of protein is 4 ounces. If more people stuck to that, 65% of America wouldn't be overweight!

Yes, they do hound you. I have had them call my cell phone twice a day, every day, for the last three months. I finally answered it last night and the first thing I said, instead of hello, was "****, you people sure are persistent!" He apologized, read me one, and only one, special offer, which I declined, then said they would stop calling.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:05 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

They didn't have the 4 fillets in their mailer, Caine. I'm glad you brought it up. Maybe their website does.
Seeing as how the offer is good for a while, I've been busy contemplating other purchases today....
Old 01-24-2008, 12:17 AM   #17
Master Chef

IMHO, I am better of at the local butcher. Not that its a bad deal, and I think if I knew of someone who doesn't are can't regularly buy good meats I would get them this as a gift but probably give em a temp phone number or an invalid one LOL.
For myself, my local butcher is very picky himself and I am never disappointed. Comes in around the same price as him, maybe with him sometimes a little higher but also better quality I think.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:16 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Omaha Steaks Special Offer
Old 01-24-2008, 11:23 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Once you add on shipping it gets a little less attractive.
Since it comes frozen anyway why not get local meats on sale and seal with food saver and freeze.All in all it still can still be a pretty good gift to someone.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:37 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

I was hoping your link had the fillets in it.....
Looks like my mailer is still the way to go. And cheaper. Gotta get those free knives and cutting board, too, ya know