"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-22-2008, 06:56 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Omaha Steaks offer

I don't have much experience with online food. They always seemed too overpriced for what you get, but this seems too good to pass up. I got this offer in the mail today, as maybe some of you did...

4-5oz top sirloins
4-4oz boneless pork chops
4-4oz chicken breasts
4-4oz Omaha steak burgers
2-4.5oz stuffed sole with crabmeat & scallops
8-3oz gourmet franks
4-5.75oz stuffed baked potatoes
Plus:
6-4oz burgers
1-6pc cutlery set
1-acrylic cutting board

"All this could be mine" for $65.98 (total) Supposedly there is a savings of $104.01. I'm not saying this is a steal, but it seems like a fair offer.

Watchya think? Anyone else get this offer or take advantage of something similar in the past?

Old 01-22-2008, 07:00 PM   #2
Sous Chef

I've gotten that offer before, not the exact same items, but a whole bunch of stuff with around $100 of savings. Sounds pretty good I guess, just wondering if it's maybe because it's all about to expire or something. If I got it in time to freeze I guess it would be ok. I just dont like freezing quality meat, I like to cook it the day, or the next day at the latest, after I buy it.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:10 PM   #3
Head Chef

I think if you don't mind freezing meats (which I don't) you can do just as well at your local market when meats, chicken etc. go on sale. Recently I received a gift from a friend which was an assortment from Omaha including sirloin, filet, stuffed sole, burgers, stuffed potatoes and a chocolate cake. Although the quality was okay (not great) the size in my opinion was small. I guess we eat larger portions than most! I am no longer tempted to order from them. Just my opinion.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:14 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

If ya order in the next 30 minutes do they send TWO packages????

Shop it out, (grocery store prices) and see what you come up with.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:18 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Yeah, the small portions are always a turn off. I tried to price it out ballpark style and like I said, it's not a screaming deal, but it seems worth it.

BTW, their stuff always come frozen and shrink wrapped. I don't have a problem with frozen meat done this way at all. Got a freezer full of the stuff now a local butcher did.

The offer is good until Feb 13th.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:36 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Actually they make those deals always.Their point as they claim is the beef is much better than you can buy at the store.Go to their web site you will find these are standing offers. But I think still a decent deal.depending on where you live and whats available.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:01 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I don't have much experience with online food. They always seemed too overpriced for what you get, but this seems too good to pass up. I got this offer in the mail today, as maybe some of you did...

4-5oz top sirloins
4-4oz boneless pork chops
4-4oz chicken breasts
4-4oz Omaha steak burgers
2-4.5oz stuffed sole with crabmeat & scallops
8-3oz gourmet franks
4-5.75oz stuffed baked potatoes
Plus:
6-4oz burgers
1-6pc cutlery set
1-acrylic cutting board

"All this could be mine" for $65.98 (total) Supposedly there is a savings of $104.01. I'm not saying this is a steal, but it seems like a fair offer.

Watchya think? Anyone else get this offer or take advantage of something similar in the past?
I bought it. It was in a flyer I read on the plane from someone's discarded newspaper. My sons birthday was coming up in December, an odd time to think of a birthday when all you see are Christmas decorations up all over. Anway, my son is a cook, loves it, probably got it from his mom. Since breaking his back and being out of work for a very very long time, money is tight. I always fill up his pantry and frig when we're there, sort of unbeknownst to him so he isn't embarrassed by mom having to buy groceries for him. {Like I don't love being able to do that for my baby.} This offer looked good to me too, it was his birthday present.
Another long story short, he's loved every single bit of it!
Old 01-23-2008, 12:22 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I appreciate your input LEFSElover.
I'm going to order it. If only for two reasons; I love opening packages And you can't have enough cutlery sets. What's a fourth one in my kitchen
Old 01-23-2008, 12:58 PM   #9
Executive Chef

I look at those deals this way:

First off, forget the cutting board and junk. You have 36 pieces of food, divide $66 by 36.....that means your paying $1.83 per item. Not too bad.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:12 PM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

That works out to $7.65 a pound for each item, including pork chops, hot dogs, chicken, burgers, potato and stuffing.