Omigosh!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Katie H

Site Moderator
Staff member
I live in the Heartland of the United States
I just opened today's mail and I'm in shock. The bill from the plane company that transported Buck from the first hospital to the one in Nashville was in the stack of mail.

Over $13,000.... My heart's racing and I'm about to fall off my chair. The mileage alone was over $7,000!

I hope the insurance company can take care of some or all of it because I'm up to my all American butt in thousands of dollars of doctor's bills and haven't seen bill #1 from either hospital. The whole thing is so overwhelming and it makes me feel so beaten down.

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think insurance picks up ambulatory rides. Around here we get fliers in the mail to sign up for Emergicare's insurance in case we need to use them. I had an ambulance ride back in '89, when I had fantastic insurance through the union, and it wasn't covered. I also just had a customer tell me yesterday that her husband broke his femur on their trip in Carolina somewhere. It cost them $4000 for the ambulance ride back to Erie to operate. Not covered.

I know that when insurance is exhausted, that you can ask the gov't for assistance. You might want to get the ball rolling on that, Katie. Your health insurance agent will know how.

I hope the insurance company can take care of some or all of it because I'm up to my all American butt in thousands of dollars of doctor's bills and haven't seen bill #1 from either hospital. The whole thing is so overwhelming and it makes me feel so beaten down.

Katie... out of all the bills you have to pay, I would make hospital/doctors bills low priority. Even if you pay $5 a month on them, there is little action they can take. As long as you are paying something. Try not to let it get to you... you have lots of help and support out here!

i am so sorry you are faced with all this. when you are grieving ,

you will find out what you need to know. hopefully the insurance will pay part. i think mine has a $100 deductible.

just remember they can't get blood out of a turnip. best of luck on this.

babe:ohmy::ohmy:

Kate-E If?? you are on social security. All of your bills can whistle dixie till you are in a position to pay. Only the federal Gov. can touch your SS. I know this for a fact as I am also up to my yanke back sides in debt. The Gov. nickes me every month for my vetrans drug bill. Stay strong prayers and strong vibes coming your eay

Medical transport payments from insurance will sometimes depend on why transport was needed. Most health care plans will cover emergency transport but not other kinds. For instance, transport from accident scene to hospital-covered. Transport from hopsital to long-term care facility or rehab-not covered. Transport between hospitals may depend on the health status of the patient. The bill should have some sort of statement on it whether insurance is pending. If it doesn't, then contact your insurace rep and inquire. Some companies will send you an itemized bill even though they expect insurance to cover most or all of the cost. These companies are usually also set up to accept payment plans. They realize that most people don't have access to that kind of lump sum payment. So if you find out that none of it is covered then contact the company to see what kind of arrangements you can make with them. Good luck. I know it is hard to think about and deal with all this when you are missing Buck so much.

Katie--- If your insurance denies coverage for the emergency plane you can eppeal their decision and they will listen to the circumstances and then decide. Also Please contact the hospitals and see if they have any foundations that help low income people pay their bills. Alot of hospitals have them but you have to ask, they won't tell you about them unless you ask.
Another thing I know the hospital in our area, even if your sending then 5$ a week it will still go to a collection agency after 90 days. Then all arrangements have to be made through them.

Dear Katie E, Please see a decent attorney about your financial situation. Thngs eventually are written off through various means. Please don't delay eventhough you are burdened more than any of us can imagine.

katie, i've oftern recieved hospital letters saying i owed. you can call & get that fixed. it may take calls to insurance, hospital, etcetra, though they'll send that to your insurance company.

I agree with jabbur. If transport was made because of medical necessity, insurance will usually cover it.

Yes, it was due to medical necessity. None of the area hospitals were equipped to treat him, which is why the doctor sent him to Nashville.

As far as I can tell, the bill has been submitted to the insurance company. We'll see if it's paid...part or all. Only time will tell. I'm still in shock, though.

Katie,when my mother died I got some bills that looked scary, but in the end the insurance pulled though together with medicare - she had Blue Cross Blue Shield. My prayers are with you.

I agree with jabbur. If it was ordered by the doctor there should be no reason for the insurance to refuse to pay. I'll continue to be praying for you.

I'm so sorry about this Katie. You'll be receiving all sorts of bills, even after your insurance has paid. Depending upon what type of insurance you have, you may or may not be responsible for these. But that doesn't keep them from billing you. For example, HMOs and PPOs negotiate much lower rates for services and the hospitals, etc. are required to accept the lower rates in order to be a part of that "network". Legally, you are not required to pay the difference between the billed amount and the amount paid by the insurance company in those cases, but many people don't realize that. And providers routinely bill the patient for the difference because often, the patient will pay it since they don't know they don't have to. A call to your insurance company after they have paid will give you more information. Of course, if it is out of network, different rules may apply. Just don't be too quick to pay anything until the dust settles.

I know that probably rubs you the wrong way since I suspect you are someone who pays bills promptly and isn't used to having a creditor call - and they will call! But just screen your calls for a while and know that this may take up to 6 months before it's all settled.

Hang in there. It's awful, I know.

Back
Top Bottom