"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-11-2008, 07:36 AM   #21
Executive Chef

I really dislike malls and big box stores, and only go if I absolutely have to. I buy lots online. Air and rail tickets, lots of kitchen stuff, and books.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:07 AM   #22
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue View Post
If you haven't looked into that yet, you might be surprised at how many different types of options a person has with those clubs. So many, it's almost hard to make a final decision.
Yeah I went to the website that he signed up at. the choices went on and on and on.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:30 AM   #23
Executive Chef

Another on-line shopper here too. But I still love shopping in person! Especially Target, Nordstrom, Illuminations, REI, Sports Basement, Michaels, Borders and the list goes on and on!

On-line shopping is by far less stressful and you can dilly dally all you want before making a selection! I buy many things online, books, dvd's, kitchen supplies, healthy food stuff, hair care products etc!

My boy loves to shop on-line for all his geeky electronic stuff. He sits for hours browsing different sites!
Old 03-11-2008, 09:36 AM   #24
Sous Chef

I do my holiday shopping on line. I HATE shopping and online makes it easier for me to mull over weather I want to buy something or not. I HATE most stores.

I also buy a good amount of stuff off craigslist and ebay.

The only "shopping" I really enjoy is thrift stores and flea markets because that is more about discovery and hunting that shopping. I have never understood shopping as recreation
Old 03-11-2008, 03:34 PM   #25
Master Chef

I dislike shopping , prefer to get my items online, sometimes it is cheaper too, no tax on the item. I do not like overpriced malls, have not set foot in one in years! I do get some kitchen essentials in a store like Sam's club, I go there to get the needed items , I don't browse the store.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:43 PM   #26
Executive Chef

The question is: What haven't I bought online?

I love online shopping. I do it almost every week. Bike parts, kitchenwares, clothes. You name it. The trick to being a good online shopper is to find free, or close to free, shipping. Alot of times the shipping makes or breaks the deal. That's why Ebay isn't such the bargain it used to be. Ebayers will kill you on shipping. Caveat Emptor.

The other positive is you're not paying the overhead a retail store has. A quart of specialty oil for instance is $14 at a dealership, and online it's $8. Albeit, there's a shipping charge. But usually I'm buying more than a quart of oil so the deal is that much better.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:49 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Jeekinz, you are so right about the shipping thing. I think it's the mistake most new online shoppers make. But pretty quickly, you figure out things like free shipping with minimum purchase, free ship with promo codes etc. And ebay can be a slippery slope when it comes to shipping. It takes practice to remember to check shipping, payment method and seller feedback before bidding on anything! Really, online shopping is an artform!
Old 03-11-2008, 04:04 PM   #28
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to mikki
I guess I'm a lost breed, I love to go to stores and yes even the mall, not only to shop but to watch people and just to plain get out of the house. I have bought a few things online, but I like to have the item in hand right away. Can't stand to wait
Old 03-11-2008, 04:15 PM   #29
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I do like to shop at local stores also. We believe in supporting our community with our tax dollars. But there is not a lot available around here, and we don't have a lot of money (and don't like supporting WalMart unless we have to), so online shopping is good for us. As far as shipping, I count that in the cost when comparison shopping. A lot of ebay sellers will offer low starting prices, with a hefty shipping price, but a lot don't do that, thank goodness.

Barbara
Old 03-11-2008, 04:20 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
Jeekinz, you are so right about the shipping thing. I think it's the mistake most new online shoppers make. But pretty quickly, you figure out things like free shipping with minimum purchase, free ship with promo codes etc. And ebay can be a slippery slope when it comes to shipping. It takes practice to remember to check shipping, payment method and seller feedback before bidding on anything! Really, online shopping is an artform!
Good point on the promo codes. You can just type in Google something like " Macys promo codes" and there's actually websites that will give you all sorts of coupons and such.