On line shopping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really dislike malls and big box stores, and only go if I absolutely have to. I buy lots online. Air and rail tickets, lots of kitchen stuff, and books.

If you haven't looked into that yet, you might be surprised at how many different types of options a person has with those clubs. So many, it's almost hard to make a final decision.
Yeah I went to the website that he signed up at. the choices went on and on and on.

Another on-line shopper here too. But I still love shopping in person! Especially Target, Nordstrom, Illuminations, REI, Sports Basement, Michaels, Borders and the list goes on and on!

On-line shopping is by far less stressful and you can dilly dally all you want before making a selection! I buy many things online, books, dvd's, kitchen supplies, healthy food stuff, hair care products etc!

My boy loves to shop on-line for all his geeky electronic stuff. He sits for hours browsing different sites!

I do my holiday shopping on line. I HATE shopping and online makes it easier for me to mull over weather I want to buy something or not. I HATE most stores.

I also buy a good amount of stuff off craigslist and ebay.

The only "shopping" I really enjoy is thrift stores and flea markets because that is more about discovery and hunting that shopping. I have never understood shopping as recreation

I dislike shopping , prefer to get my items online, sometimes it is cheaper too, no tax on the item. I do not like overpriced malls, have not set foot in one in years! I do get some kitchen essentials in a store like Sam's club, I go there to get the needed items , I don't browse the store.

The question is: What haven't I bought online?

I love online shopping. I do it almost every week. Bike parts, kitchenwares, clothes. You name it. The trick to being a good online shopper is to find free, or close to free, shipping. Alot of times the shipping makes or breaks the deal. That's why Ebay isn't such the bargain it used to be. Ebayers will kill you on shipping. Caveat Emptor.

The other positive is you're not paying the overhead a retail store has. A quart of specialty oil for instance is $14 at a dealership, and online it's $8. Albeit, there's a shipping charge. But usually I'm buying more than a quart of oil so the deal is that much better.

Jeekinz, you are so right about the shipping thing. I think it's the mistake most new online shoppers make. But pretty quickly, you figure out things like free shipping with minimum purchase, free ship with promo codes etc. And ebay can be a slippery slope when it comes to shipping. It takes practice to remember to check shipping, payment method and seller feedback before bidding on anything! Really, online shopping is an artform!

I guess I'm a lost breed, I love to go to stores and yes even the mall, not only to shop but to watch people and just to plain get out of the house. I have bought a few things online, but I like to have the item in hand right away. Can't stand to wait

I do like to shop at local stores also. We believe in supporting our community with our tax dollars. But there is not a lot available around here, and we don't have a lot of money (and don't like supporting WalMart unless we have to), so online shopping is good for us. As far as shipping, I count that in the cost when comparison shopping. A lot of ebay sellers will offer low starting prices, with a hefty shipping price, but a lot don't do that, thank goodness.

:)Barbara

Jeekinz, you are so right about the shipping thing. I think it's the mistake most new online shoppers make. But pretty quickly, you figure out things like free shipping with minimum purchase, free ship with promo codes etc. And ebay can be a slippery slope when it comes to shipping. It takes practice to remember to check shipping, payment method and seller feedback before bidding on anything! Really, online shopping is an artform!

Good point on the promo codes. You can just type in Google something like " Macys promo codes" and there's actually websites that will give you all sorts of coupons and such.

A good place to bookmark is passwird.com
It's updated throughout the day and gives the heads up on current really good online deals. Not just tech stuff, although about 75% of it is. But recently because of a deal and promo code mentioned on this site, I replaced all my ancient bath towels for this house and the coast with huge, fluffy ones from Kohl's for $3.30 each shipped! (I think I bought 30 of them.) This site also posts the best deals daily on Amazon. (I'm not affiliated or anything - I just love this site and check it a few times a day).

I have another link like that one Fisher's Mom. I will post it when I get home later.

Another fun one that we have talked about before is Woot.

I have another link like that one Fisher's Mom. I will post it when I get home later.

Another fun one that we have talked about before is Woot.
Ooooh, I'll be watching for that one, GB. You already know how addicted I am to Woot, and then there is wine.woot, shirt.woot, and sellout.woot now. I have to check them all every night before bed. bargainjack.com is another sort of clearinghouse site that is a constantly updated list of good online deals. (I'm really craving a woot-off right now!)

Hate shopping... so I'd much rather push a few buttons than
go to the store and fight the crowds..the noise...the traffic.

Don't like paying shipping and handling fees though...

Books. I always buy books online. And anything I can't find in a regular store (I'm in a small town, it happens more than you would think--I can't even find a decent piano lamp for DH).

Ooooh, I'll be watching for that one, GB. You already know how addicted I am to Woot, and then there is wine.woot, shirt.woot, and sellout.woot now. I have to check them all every night before bed. bargainjack.com is another sort of clearinghouse site that is a constantly updated list of good online deals. (I'm really craving a woot-off right now!)
Here it is. Slick Deals.

:) I have never liked the mall. I live 45 miles from the nearest little town then it would be at least another 3 hours to the nearest small city the gas now would be astronomical plus there's no guarantee I will find what I want. I buy tons of stuff online you name it clothes, shoes, hard to get food items like gourmet cheese, spices, appliances, cookware, books, etc and the list goes on and on. I like that I can compare shop for the best price and many times shipping is free. Ebay is a favorite Amazon kicks butt I know my favorite sites quite well. The last thing I ordered was a case of Falafal Mix since it's not to be found where I live. I also buy imported foods like German products from germandeli.com and imported cheeses and butters from igourmet.com. I don't care what it is you want you will find it online.

Last edited:
I probably do at least 95% of my shopping online, & have for a number years.

Once I left New York & that lifestyle for my more "laid back" life here on the farm in Virginia, I just find I'm no longer interested in getting dressed up & wasting my time driving & rooting thru stores. There are really very very few things that I can't get online (& cheaper, even with shipping costs) rather than in person.

And now that I'm far from friends & family, online shopping is beyond wonderful for gifting. My elderly parents, who don't need clothing or kitschy stuff, just adore all the specialty food gifts I send them - Czech sausages, cheeses, gourmet jarred goods, pierogis, etc., etc., etc. Online shopping has enabled me to gift folks I love with lots of wonderful perishable things that I otherwise wouldn't be able to buy & send.

A mall? What's that? LOL!!!!!

I buy evrything on-line!! I'm just waiting for an on-line grocery store. I was going add "on-line" gas station, but if I can buy my groceries online then I won't need my car anyway......COOL!!

Back
Top Bottom