"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-27-2016, 12:43 AM   #41
Master Chef

`you definitely have stamina, Charlie, if you can eat 2 week old chicken and a great immune system.........good for you!

Old 09-27-2016, 08:57 AM   #42
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
`you definitely have stamina, Charlie, if you can eat 2 week old chicken and a great immune system.........good for you!

Growing up some times we were lucky to have garbage scraps. Builds up stamina really fast.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Old 09-27-2016, 09:15 AM   #43
Master Chef

same in Egypt...........you built up immunities to a lot of wee beasties........`i lived with an amoeba for years.......the medicine which was a poison literally was worse than living with it........so `i lived with it for years.........eventually my doctor said `i must have `'discarded`' it the natural way........:)
Old 09-27-2016, 10:06 AM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Growing up some times we were lucky to have garbage scraps. Builds up stamina really fast.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
Charlie, I think most of us are familiar with Russia's "five year plans," "seven year plans", but did any of them ever succeed? And was your family ever the beneficiary of all the grain the US sent to Russia when the "Plans" failed?
Old 09-27-2016, 05:14 PM   #45
Assistant Cook

I almost always cook with leftovers in mind. I makes a quick meal the next day or a great packed lunch for work.
Old 09-27-2016, 08:23 PM   #46
Master Chef

On the subject of leftovers

Officially we never used your grain. Officially it was of inferior quality. Maybe only good for animals. Plans "of course we're successful " we used to finish them in a year or two. We work so fast. The rest 3 years we did nothing. And got paid accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Old 09-27-2016, 08:24 PM   #47
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
same in Egypt...........you built up immunities to a lot of wee beasties........`i lived with an amoeba for years.......the medicine which was a poison literally was worse than living with it........so `i lived with it for years.........eventually my doctor said `i must have `'discarded`' it the natural way........:)
You lived in Egypt? Wow

Old 09-27-2016, 11:32 PM   #48
Master Chef

Like a few others here, I cook for one. There's almost always leftovers. Some are accidental leftovers, but many are planned. I grill often and there's no way I'm going to grill, for example, one or two chicken thighs for one meal. Even when I'm grilling a big thick rib eye, I usually throw some veggies on the grill to make the best use of the coals.

About the only things I throw out if I don't eat it all in one meal are veggie salads, fruit salads, and fish. I don't expect fish to reheat well, but I've been known to nibble on a piece of leftover fish the next morning if I especially liked it the night before.

edited...I wouldn't call a cake or pie 'leftovers' though...in my mind leftovers are from a meal and not a dessert. Just like I wouldn't consider a carton of ice cream from the freezer leftovers if a scoop had been taken out of it.
Old 09-28-2016, 01:20 AM   #49
Master Chef

Cheryl, `i'm not going to say all fish is best reheated, but if you put it on a preheated hot pizza stone ``(with parchment paper) it's pretty good.........nothing to lose......\\\and `i agree with the r:)est
Old 09-28-2016, 01:33 AM   #50
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
You lived in Egypt? Wow

We lived there for 7 years.........best 7 years of our lives........back in the 90's.........so much to see and do there it was unbelievable......and the local people were so nice and friendly...........if you even tried to mangle their Arabic which `i did and with finesse they were flattered....just caused you tried.... `i'm not sure it's the same anymore........`i've been told by others it's s= changed a lot............gawd, `i'm going to throw this computer away.......it's driving me crazy! `i can tell you, the experience forever changed my children's lives.........they came in contact with children from all over the world, different cultures, languages, mores, etc........my daughter was so impressed that she studied Arabic in college.......`i will never forget the wonderful, local friendly people we met........

Tags
leftovers