"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-08-2011, 11:15 PM   #1
Executive Chef

One seriously nasty virus...

Good Grief! Has anyone had that virus that is going around in Florida right now?

I'm just recovering from it, and I'll tell ya what; That is the worst I've felt for that long, in years. It started with sneezing, runny nose and a slight fever. That went to my entire body feeling like a truck backed over me about a hundred times. Holy sore muscles Batman! Then it was 98.1 for about 5 days, no appetite, nausea, dizzies, 16 hours of sleep each day and zero energy.

I just woke from a 4 hour sleep and was drenched in sweat and feeling better than I have since it started.

I had a flu shot! I swear! Man, that was like a nightmare! I lost 5 pounds.

It was all I could do to eat a can of soup once a day. I drank as much juice as I could.

Nasty stuff! I hope none of you get it, whatever it is!

My house is a mess! I didn't do ANYTHING for almost a week. Stuff is out everywhere!

Old 10-08-2011, 11:26 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Oh Tim! I hope you are now on the mend. That sounds positively awful. I haven't had a flu shot yet, but your experience makes me want to get one ASAP!

Old 10-08-2011, 11:42 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Geez, Tim, hope you feel better soon! That sounds terrible!
Old 10-08-2011, 11:42 PM   #4
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
When was the flu shot, in correlation with you getting sick? I have had quite a few friends get the exact same thing you have described after getting vaccinated for the season. I wonder if it is something with the batch?
Old 10-08-2011, 11:48 PM   #5
Head Chef

My mother used to get sick every year right after her flu shot. I will not get one because of that.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:43 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
When was the flu shot, in correlation with you getting sick? I have had quite a few friends get the exact same thing you have described after getting vaccinated for the season. I wonder if it is something with the batch?
I had the Flu shot on the 18th of September and came down with this bug on the 3rd or 4th of October.

I know the Flu shot only covers the Flu strains that are the most dangerous for that year, and not even close to all of them, so it's entirely possible that I caught a strain that wasn't covered by the vaccine.

I haven't been that sick in quite some time. I'm literally feeling better by the hour, but my sleep cycle is messed up good now. It's 3:45am and I'm just now getting sleepy enough to go to bed.

It's going to be interesting to see what I feel like tomorrow.

Thanks for all the kind words, folks. Your caring made me feel good.
Old 10-09-2011, 04:05 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

hope you're feeling better, tim.

dw has been bugging me to get a flu shot every year. i do everything i can not to, and pray i'm not making a mistake if it gets her, my boy, or someone else sick.

i may get one this year, though.

it's no win.

who with me with imperfectly righteous, blind hope?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:36 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

A former roommate got a flu shot that made him deathly ill for about a week. I won't get one for that reason.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:41 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I've had a flu shot annually since 2003. I've never gotten sick afterwards and I do react to things.

I did have e-coli a few years ago. I thought I was going to die. My temp cycled from below normal (95) to 104 every 20 minutes or so. I couldn't hold a glass of orange juice I would shake so much. The sheets were soaking wet with sweat. I ended up going to emerg. after 48 hours of this. The doctor tried to pan this off as the flu, I insisted he do bloodwork. I ended up in emerg for about 10 hours. And, they put me on a drip because I was also dehydrated from all the sweating. Timothy, I'd go to the doctor. It took 10 days for me to get "over" the e-coli, but almost 6 weeks to regain my energy.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:04 AM   #10
Head Chef

Sorry to hear of your dreadful experience, Tim. Glad you're better. Is there any possibility that your beloved sushi played a part? Reading the newspaper reports of food contamination - that nasty e. coli CWS speaks of for one - is enough to make a person germ-phobic. These days I'm doing a more thorough job of wzshing veggies to be eaten raw.