"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-29-2011, 02:15 PM   #21
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

A weekly maid.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:29 PM   #22
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
I would say a soft serve Ice cream machine, the kind they use at Ice cream parlors :)
With frozen yogurt in it so I can make frozen yogurt cones all summer long lol!
For me it is a cotton candy machine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
Well, let's see. I have two "wants," one of which is a thing/person, the other a concept/process(?).

In the old Robert Wagner series, Hart to Hart, the Harts had a manservant-type guy, Max, who did just about anything they asked. I have always said I wanted a "Max."...

Now...my want here is to have those sheets put on my bed EVERY night. Omigosh, I'd feel so pampered.
Your Max will do that for you! I loved Hart to Hart! Who wouldn't want a "Max?" Side note--Hart to Hart was playing on the TV in the labor room while I was in labor with my daughter September 29, 1979 (she was born 42 minutes after Midnight on the 30th-same day as BT).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I always wanted a fireplace in my kitchen. But, one that I could use to cook on also. Something I could put a grate on and bbq indoors all year long. Also with an oven on the side right in the stone. I saw one many years ago where the hearth was almost counter top height. We have long winters here, and I spend lots of time in the kitchen so I would use it all the time for heating and cooking. I have an older house and its not worth the investment because we don't plan on being here after my daughter gets through high school.

My dream kitchen is an old European style with a wall of stone. I'm not big into shiny appliances and granite, or dark woods. Give me terra cotta and old, well worn counters any day...
This one hits close to home for me. I would love a huge roomy kitchen, but more American Colonial. From the time I was a little girl I have devoured books about the American Colonial period (and anything else historical, anywhere in the world), and I loved pictures of the huge fireplaces some homes had (wealthier ones most likely!) that had several fires burning in them. They were basically walk-in fireplaces where they had several pots going at once. Probably not a good combination with those long dresses though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara View Post
Rocklobster,
that kitchen sounds great... If I would have a house, I want that, too!
Very large and a big wood oven...

But that was not what I thought of when I found this thread..
I always wanted to play the bagpipes since I was 14, and what to say?
I'm on the way of learning it.. hope the smallpipe arrives within the next few weeks and then practice, practice and more practice..
My plan is to get the "real pipe" next summer, I think that could be possible... ;)

and with the Billard Table.. no Pool, but Snooker ;o)
I have always loved the bagpipes! I don't know if I would want my neighbor playing them but I love bagpipe music.

I love all the "wants" so far!

Old 07-29-2011, 03:15 PM   #23
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
I have always said I wanted a "Max."

Now...my want here is to have those sheets put on my bed EVERY night. Omigosh, I'd feel so pampered.
So the ultimate would be to have "Max" change your sheets every day!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:19 PM   #24
Certified Cake Maniac

Mine might sound dull to most, but my big "want" in my life is to have a bay window in my second story master suite (we live in a rancher and barely have a master bedroom let alone a suite). I have always dreamed of having this big window with a bench that I could sit on reading books, listening to music or looking out at the wonderful view (oh yeah, it has to have that too!). That would be my escape from the world.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:33 PM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Mine might sound dull to most, but my big "want" in my life is to have a bay window in my second story master suite (we live in a rancher and barely have a master bedroom let alone a suite). I have always dreamed of having this big window with a bench that I could sit on reading books, listening to music or looking out at the wonderful view (oh yeah, it has to have that too!). That would be my escape from the world.
Not at all LP, I love bay windows! My sister actually turned down a few houses when she was looking for a property to buy because they didn't have a bay window in the master suite

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:16 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Quote:
Rocklobster,
that kitchen sounds great... If I would have a house, I want that, too!
Very large and a big wood oven...

But that was not what I thought of when I found this thread..
I always wanted to play the bagpipes since I was 14, and what to say?
I'm on the way of learning it.. hope the smallpipe arrives within the next few weeks and then practice, practice and more practice..
My plan is to get the "real pipe" next summer, I think that could be possible... ;)

and with the Billard Table.. no Pool, but Snooker ;o)
When I was in kindergarten they did an around the world day. We got to the guy from Scotland and after telling us a little about his country he played the bag pipes. I was mesmerized and couldn't wait to get home. I ran into the house and excitedly told my mom that when I grew up I wanted to be a bag pipe player. My husband says when we have a garage I can practice in we'll budget in lessons.

Quote:
Well, let's see. I have two "wants," one of which is a thing/person, the other a concept/process(?).

In the old Robert Wagner series, Hart to Hart, the Harts had a manservant-type guy, Max, who did just about anything they asked. I have always said I wanted a "Max."

The other is something that, when I enjoy it, which is once a week in good weather, it to go to bed with fresh sheets that have been dried on the line outside. The sweet, fresh fragrance is just sooooo nice and the texture of the sheets is so much better than those dried in the dryer. Our bed room smells so good for at least two days. Then the magic goes away.

I don't think I've seen Hart to Hart so I don't know about a Max but an Alfred (Batman) would be cool. Probably the same sort of idea.

I have two things that are super frivolous that I'd love but realistically know the chances of getting them are slim to none. I'd love a large, glass covered, indoor garden. Not just a green house with potted plants, but an actual manicured with little walking paths, planted in the ground garden with miniature fruit trees and wild ginger and herbs and edible flowers. Something that was extremely beautiful and decorative but that could also provide the hubby and I with items for the dinner table. I'd also love an old, square rigged sailing ship. I know, I'm a little weird, but I just think they would be so cool to have.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:25 PM   #27
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
So the ultimate would be to have "Max" change your sheets every day!
I read many years ago that Jackie Kennedy had the sheets changed in the family part of the white house twice a day. I never understood why they would need to be changed that often unless it was in JFK's room.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:52 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
... I always wanted to play the bagpipes since I was 14, and what to say?...
I love the bagpipes and even have some bagpipe CDs. More power to you, and I'll come listen to you when you give a recital while wearing Scottish plaid!
Old 07-29-2011, 05:18 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

My mom wants a real bagpiper at her funeral when she goes. Hopefully, when that happens, (not soon), I can contact DC for one!
Old 07-29-2011, 05:58 PM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I always wanted a fireplace in my kitchen. But, one that I could use to cook on also. Something I could put a grate on and bbq indoors all year long. Also with an oven on the side right in the stone. I saw one many years ago where the hearth was almost counter top height. We have long winters here, and I spend lots of time in the kitchen so I would use it all the time for heating and cooking. I have an older house and its not worth the investment because we don't plan on being here after my daughter gets through high school.

My dream kitchen is an old European style with a wall of stone. I'm not big into shiny appliances and granite, or dark woods. Give me terra cotta and old, well worn counters any day...
Thanks for the new component for my dream kitchen in my dream house.