One Totally Frivolous Want

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbara L

Traveling Welcome Wagon
There are things we all need and things we want, but what is the one thing that you have always wanted but have never gotten? This has to be a "want" and not a "need."

For me it is a pool table. When I was around 10 my mom and dad, Aunt Janet and Uncle Ted, and my Uncle Glen all went together and bought a pool table. It was kept in Aunt Janet's and Uncle Ted's garage, and we spent a lot of time there. It was mostly the adults who played, but we did get a chance now and then. When my aunt and uncle moved, no one had room for the pool table, so it was sold. It has been over 40 years since then, but the strong desire to have one has never gone away.

What is it that you have always wanted? :cool:

Barb, for many years I wanted a pool table too! As a matter of fact, when I bought my first house, I made sure a pool table would fit. That desire has waned in recent years.

Not sure there is one thing I could point to now and say, "That's the new "pool table" in my life" There is a Ferrari, a Bentley and a Bugatti on the list.

Whenever someone says they want a pool table, I can't help but think of the "Beverly Hillbillies".
They used the pool table for a fancy eating table, using the pool cues to pass the vittles around the table. I thought it was great!!!

Whenever someone says they want a pool table, I can't help but think of the "Beverly Hillbillies".
They used the pool table for a fancy eating table, using the pool cues to pass the vittles around the table. I thought it was great!!!
There was a mounted Rhino head and they called it a Billiard.

Hoot said:

And the ce-ment pond! Loved that show!

Most of the wants I had were all satisfied for me when I was able to give them to my daughter and they were pretty simple...a real barbie doll, a pair of patent leather Mary Janes, etc. This probably doesn't really fit into this thread but many many years ago on an episode of "Lost in Space" the ladies on the show were doing laundry out on the surface of the planet. They had a washing machine that I want to this day. You put in the dirty clothes and when they come out of the washer they are all pressed, folded and wrapped in plastic as if they just came from the store. I would pay any price for that unit! Another thing I have been wanting for about 10 years is a Hobart dishwasher. Takes three minutes to do a load and thoroughly sanitizes them. I used to use one when I worked at a large adult day care center. Well, for now I'll just be happy with what I have.

I love The Beverly Hillbillies too and well remember the "Fancy Eatin' Table!"

I remember that episode of Lost in Space! Of course I just saw it last year (we own the series on DVD--I had never seen it).

I often thought that the Beverly Hillbillies was a cute show... until I moved to Arkansas. And now I live among them!!! Cute doesn't describe them! :shock: Last week, while on the town square, I parked next to an old pickup truck with large caliber bullet holes piercing the driver's door panel.

It's taken a lot of thought, but... an addition of one room to my house... a library.

I'd like a room with lots and lots of shelving, and some display cases thrown in for some of my collectibles. Add a comfortable reading chair, floor lamp, antique secretaries' writing desk, and a book stand to display my favorite manuscript, and I'd be happy.

I would say a soft serve Ice cream machine, the kind they use at Ice cream parlors :)
With frozen yogurt in it so I can make frozen yogurt cones all summer long lol!

I had a pool table at my other house, but back then I used to shoot a lot of pool.

I want a hot tub, or a jacuzzi. I've given this more than a passing thought over the years.

Well, let's see. I have two "wants," one of which is a thing/person, the other a concept/process(?).

In the old Robert Wagner series, Hart to Hart, the Harts had a manservant-type guy, Max, who did just about anything they asked. I have always said I wanted a "Max."

The other is something that, when I enjoy it, which is once a week in good weather, it to go to bed with fresh sheets that have been dried on the line outside. The sweet, fresh fragrance is just sooooo nice and the texture of the sheets is so much better than those dried in the dryer. Our bed room smells so good for at least two days. Then the magic goes away.

Now...my want here is to have those sheets put on my bed EVERY night. Omigosh, I'd feel so pampered.

What I really want right now is a weekend in a B&B somewhere by the seaside on my own!
Just to sleep all day and drink Cocktails and eat food that I did not have to cook myself lol!

I always wanted a fireplace in my kitchen. But, one that I could use to cook on also. Something I could put a grate on and bbq indoors all year long. Also with an oven on the side right in the stone. I saw one many years ago where the hearth was almost counter top height. We have long winters here, and I spend lots of time in the kitchen so I would use it all the time for heating and cooking. I have an older house and its not worth the investment because we don't plan on being here after my daughter gets through high school.

My dream kitchen is an old European style with a wall of stone. I'm not big into shiny appliances and granite, or dark woods. Give me terra cotta and old, well worn counters any day...

Last edited:
Rocklobster,
that kitchen sounds great... If I would have a house, I want that, too!
Very large and a big wood oven...

But that was not what I thought of when I found this thread..
I always wanted to play the bagpipes since I was 14, and what to say?
I'm on the way of learning it.. hope the smallpipe arrives within the next few weeks and then practice, practice and more practice..
My plan is to get the "real pipe" next summer, I think that could be possible... ;)

and with the Billard Table.. no Pool, but Snooker ;o)

and you should wish for earplugs for your neighbors, cara. :)

i learned to play the pipes in college. very noisy, even when you get good at them.
lol, i was never good, nor graduated college.

i've always wanted 2 things: first, a boat. either a big, powerful bass boat for the lakes, or a boston whaler with a cabin for the ocean.

my other wish, one which i've had since i was a little kid, was to have a giant, saltwater pool in my back yard so i could swim with dolphins and rays.

Back
Top Bottom