"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-10-2008, 02:13 PM   #21
Executive Chef

I cant eat or drink anything with out spilling it starts first thing in the morning with coffee.I even get crumbs in side my shirt an between the girls. Its like I never grew up maybe I should carry a bib with me

Old 01-10-2008, 02:17 PM   #22
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I'm the same way half the time JP! LOL--When they were little I used to sometimes threaten to feed my daughter and nephew naked in the bathtub!

Barbara

Old 01-10-2008, 03:12 PM   #23
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I used to have a very expensive Rowenta iron, but my insignificant other took that with her when she split, too. So now I have a clothes steamer instead, and I have found that it can set the wrinkles much easier, over a larger area, in half the time of an iron.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:24 PM   #24
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
wow , strange how many people still iron. only time i iron is when i sew. otherwise wash and wear for me.

babe
Mostly, I only iron when sewing or sons shirts for interviews, funerals, etc. I used to iron almost daily til I discovered this marvelous product called "Magic Wrinkle Remover". I think Downy makes a similar product but this one is cheaper and smells great and really works! (On fabric anyway - doesn't work on your skin.)
Old 01-10-2008, 03:40 PM   #25
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Like some of you, I mostly just iron when I sew. One of my dresses has white daisy trim that needs to be ironed, or the daisies curl, and a few things I have just look better with nice sharp creases. Other than that I just iron when there are too many wrinkles to look natural. lol As someone said, you're going to get a few wrinkles just wearing something.

Barbara
Old 01-10-2008, 04:10 PM   #26
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
I iron very seldom, only to do cotton tops or sons 100% cotton shirts! Most everything is perma-press.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:02 PM   #27
Traveling Welcome Wagon

My mom said that when we were little it was a real pain in the neck to keep our clothes looking nice. Little girls' dresses were all cotton and were hard to keep looking nice with ruffles and all. One of the things she did for extra money was take in ironing for some of the neighbors. When she was leaving for the hospital to give birth to either my sister or me, she had an encounter with one of them. Picture this--My mom is doubled over in the middle of labor, and this neighbor woman comes running over to the car demanding to know how soon my mom is going to get her clothes ironed!

Barbara
Old 01-10-2008, 05:25 PM   #28
Senior Cook

I iron t-shirts, jeans, pants etc. (not underwear!) - especially in Summer as the clothes dry fast and the wrinkles seem to be much more noticeable. I think it looks much nicer. I don't iron sheets, towels or pillowcases though - or my bras
Old 01-10-2008, 05:27 PM   #29
Head Chef

Not a fan of the iron. Dh irons his own and I shy away from clothes that require ironing. If I do, then it's off to the cleaner. I can't even sew a button on if one should fall off.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:13 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by elaine l View Post
I can't even sew a button on if one should fall off.
You should've lived near me about 15 years ago, elaine. We lived in a yuppie-rich neighborhood in Washington, DC. I taught a class called "Survival Sewing," in which I showed the women how to sew on a button, mend a hem, etc.

It was amazing what things they used to repair the hems of their designer skirts and dresses. Perfectly hilarious.