"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 03-26-2007, 01:18 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Try It

Quote:
Originally Posted by csalt
Although you know your two dogs are not able to raise a noise, no-one trying to intrude would know. Would it be any use putting a "Beware of the Dogs" notice outside?
Would be worth a try. I will go to get one before they go out of town. Hope it works. thanks csalt.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:24 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
that is REALLY Tough call :(
no seriously, it Really is!

I think in this instance it would be best do what your Heart said rather than Logic.

for Me I think that would entail keeping 2 dogs at all times, which would require that when One passed on, a New member of the family was introduced and the same again when the second one inevitably goes.

getting a PIR Halogen light set up (as mentioned somewhere above) is also a great idea!

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 01:27 PM   #13
Head Chef

YT, you didn't mention what I expected.

In the Kitchen, have a look through this thread. YT comes up with some intruder alert ideas:

Someone broke into our garden
Old 03-26-2007, 01:41 PM   #14
Executive Chef

true, and you`re right I didn`t, I guess I was too concerned about the ailing dogs.
as Snoop Puss mentions, you could do worse than use one of these babies too :)
it`s TNT technology and Police and Magistrate approved!

Old 03-26-2007, 01:52 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

I didn't follow the thread link yet, but one suggestion I have for the peeping Tom would be a motion sensor that turns on a sprinkler. They are used to keep dogs (some dogs) out of gardens. I've seen them advertised in various cataloges.

On the Beware of dog sign.... Good deterrent, bad idea. It ackowledges the fact that you think you have a dangerous dog to beware of, whether they are or aren't. It's fodder for BSL and insurance co's.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:04 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Hah! Amazing idea/invention, YT!
I take it by mobile phone you mean cell phone, or could a cordless work, too? A lot of times you can buy a base unit and as many satellite stations as you want.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:15 PM   #17
Executive Chef

a cordless will work too, but not in a shed/garage or car etc...
it also pre-supposes that the ones breaking "with intent" DON`T cut your phone line 1`st :((((

the fool that that broke into my shed actualy stole my fone/alarm and was running away with it still engaged :)))

yeah I know, TOO FUNNY! :))
and yes, I got that fone back too when they caught him :)

Old 03-26-2007, 02:37 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Concerned

it also pre-supposes that the ones breaking "with intent" DON`T cut your phone line 1`st :((((

the fool that that broke into my shed actualy stole my fone/alarm and was running away with it still engaged :)))

Last edited by YT2095 : Today at 01:17 PM.

YT2095, you have been through your share haven't you? It is funny but not when it is you! So sorry and thanks for your thoughts about my dogs.

pecanis that is something I will have to check. I asked this locksmith about burglar alarm put on my lights and he said wouldn't be possible as it would bother too many people. A sprinkler probably is the best idea yet. Have to check the gardening line about that.

I knew you people would understand. Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. My dogs will appreciate all your help too. I know you would all be friends with them. They just don't like the guy who runs around here at night. I don't think he knows that the one can't see. Between the two they seem to manage okay. Still act happy when I come back home. Otherwise they would not show any emotion. Thanks again
Old 03-26-2007, 02:45 PM   #19
Executive Chef

IIRC, their sense of Smell is something like 18 TIMES more acute than ours, eyes and ears for them is almost secondary :)

besides, and I don`t care how "unscientific" it sounds, I think they also have a `sense` that some people don`t too.

Old 03-26-2007, 02:50 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Concerned

Last edited by YT2095 : Today at 01:17 PM.

YT2095, you have been through your share haven't you? It is funny but not when it is you! So sorry and thanks for your thoughts about my dogs.

pecanis that is something I will have to check. I asked this locksmith about burglar alarm put on my lights and he said wouldn't be possible as it would bother too many people. A sprinkler probably is the best idea yet. Have to check the gardening line about that.

I knew you people would understand. Thanks to all of you for your suggestions. My dogs will appreciate all your help too. I know you would all be friends with them. They just don't like the guy who runs around here at night. I don't think he knows that the one can't see. Between the two they seem to manage okay. Still act happy when I come back home. Otherwise they would not show any emotion. Thanks again