Opinion on dogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
pacanis said:
On the Beware of dog sign.... Good deterrent, bad idea. It ackowledges the fact that you think you have a dangerous dog to beware of, whether they are or aren't. It's fodder for BSL and insurance co's.

In Maryland a beware of dog sign could get you sued if someone was bitten but here in Georgia, the police recommend them. I asked that very question when I moved down here. It just depends on your area/state.

Just last June we had to put our 12 year old husky, Nikita, down. (2 years before that I had to let my chow, Kelani go -- she had inoperable cancer). Nikita was still very alert & eating well, but her body was slowly failing her. She was also on quite a few medications. It finally got to the point that she couldn't go outside when needed & her back legs weren't working any more. Mentally, she was fine. Physically, her body was shutting down & she couldn't even get up by herself anymore. It wasn't fair to her. The vet let us make the decision, but agreed when we decided it was time to let her go. It was one of the hardest decisions we had to make. Even now, I can't believe I'm getting misty over it again.:(

All that to say, just pay attention to your dogs' needs & do what is right by THEM. Then I would get another dog . . . preferably a puppy. There's nothing better to get you through a grieving period than puppy breath! It doesn't replace the loss, but it helps you through it. I have 2-three year old huskies now & although I still miss Kelani & Nikita, these two are wonderful additions to our family.

Now for your being by yourself . . . I like jpmcgrew's idea of having a friend or two stay with you. And I agree with csalt's statement that no one else knows about your dogs' physical condition is a good deterrent. And I absolutely LOVE LOVE pacanis' idea of having a light sensor hooked up to a sprinkler for your neighbor! I want details WHEN you decide to do this! :LOL:

My precious Dove will be 10 in April and my Yorke before her was 17. They are the love of my life..when i lost my Yorke I was so heartbroken and then Dove came in and won my heart over. I will do what ever it takes to keep her in good health and love her for the rest of her live.
Don't give up on a pet just because of blindness..if they can make it to where they want to go good for them. My Yorke was blind..he just walked the wall and knew where he was.

Even though Buck and I don't have doggies any longer, we are still dog lovers. Many a pooch captured our hearts. One of the most difficult parts of having a pet is knowing when to let go.

We were faced with one such decision when our big Irish setter/golden retriever mix experienced a terrible health problem. Justin, that was his name, was way too young to leave us, but that was our only choice. We held him and our loving veterinarian cried along with us as Justin slipped away. Better that than suffering, which was the only other choice.

The only thing I can urge you to do is to not get to the point where your beloved dogs are suffering more than is necessary. That's where the "hard" decision comes in.

Then, do get back on the horse and ride again. As others have said, get another doggie. A puppy to be sure. You won't regret it.

Best wishes and love to your darling, beloved pets.

:) I once read a small book on the great benefits of adopting an older dog like 2 years and up even to 7 years and up and how grateful they are to finally find a good home and the other part of the book was about when to let them go{meaning putting them to sleep}It said and I agree its when they get no pleasure from a toy or seeing you when you come home and so on.When they just dont light up for anything and nothing makes them happy anymore its time.However if they can not control physical functions and they hafto wear a diaper or what ever but still have their minds and are happy to see you or when they get a new toy even if they are crippled as long as they seem happy let them stay and love them and spoil them as much as you can.

In the Kitchen, I am sorry you are feeling insecure being alone with your two darling pooches. Just know that even though they may be debilitated, their instinct to protect you will remain. My big Maremma can hardly get a bark out these days when annoyed with our young dog, wanting something etc. But, the minute there is perceived danger, the whole neigbourhood hears him!! :rolleyes:
In stereo!!

I know someone else mentioned it, but is there no one who can come and stay with you for this period when family are away? Do you belong to a church that may have an idea of who could help? The idea of you being alone and afraid worries me! And, I am so sad that our communities are full of fear these days. The days of everyone knowing the whole street, not needing to lock your house etc have long gone.

I used to put preserving jar ring lids on all door handles years ago, before we had the dogs and when hubster was away...lolol. I forgot that many of the rooms were carpeted so that would NOT have worked at all! Well, just a tinkle of a noise maybe. :)

Leave a light on inside the house during the night, even the TV. I know it costs, but if it appears someone is awake it is very unlikely anyone would approach the house.

I am sure all will be well, and you and the pooches are lucky to share the love you obviously do. That is wonderful, and long may they bless you with their happy presence, even in their winter years. Give them both a big hug from me!

Lyn

Following on from Lynan's idea, get some timer devices and set lights to come on and go off during the night. If you set them right, you can even make it look like someone's walking around, switching lights on and off as they go.

Sure!

I SURE knew I had the right crowd!! Every one of you sentiments are just the way I feel. They sure can tear your heart out.

This morning when I was giving the diabetic dog her injection, I noticed her weight is not there. In other words, she is eating but not keeping it or the body doesn't keep it. She is just skin and bones. I am afraid to give her bath with the cool nights here and she doesn't want to mess the house so she mainly sleeps on our breezeway. She must be a fighter as this diabetes has been going on for so long with the injections. Each and every dog is so very unique.

I wish you all good luck and good healthy dogs that you stay together for long long time. Hard to let go. And thanks so much for you time and comments. They are priceless to me.

Back
Top Bottom