Orange Juice's 'Secret Ingredient' Worries Some Health-Minded Moms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kleenex

Master Chef
Orange Juice: Some Moms Say It Has a 'Secret Ingredient' That Worries Them - ABC News

From article:

The "not from concentrate" brands appeared on store shelves sometime in the 1980s to differentiate them from frozen juice and other bottled concentrates. Despite its high price tag -- now up to $4 a carton -- sales of the premium brands have soared.

But those juices don't just jump from the grove to the breakfast table.

After oranges are picked, they are shipped off to be processed. They are squeezed and pasteurized and, if they are not bound for frozen concentrate, are kept in aseptic storage, which involves stripping the juice of oxygen in a process called "deaeration," and kept in million-gallon tanks for up to a year.

Before packaging and shipping, the juice is then jazzed up with an added flavor pack, gleaned from orange byproducts such as the peel and pulp, to compensate for the loss of taste and aroma during the heating process.

Different brands use different flavor packs to give their product its unique and always consistent taste. Minute Maid, for example, has a distinctive candy-sweet flavor.

now you know...

I never jumped on the "not from concentrate" band wagon. I figure frozen at the orchard and rehydrated chez moi is plenty good enough. I have no desire to pay for the shipping of water. I don't drink a lot of oj - I'd rather have the whole fruit.

Thanks for the info.

I bought a Cuisinart citrus juicer
img_1084786_0_342206f8b0b0d0110c91d0d1a150f5fc.jpg
and I make my own "not from concentrate" orange juice. I can buy an 8lb farm fresh bag of Navel oranges for 5 bucks, and it makes at least a half gallon of fresh squeezed juice.

Show off :LOL:

You live near orange groves, don't you?

I live in a very agricultural area of California. I have at least 7 produce stands within 2 miles of my house.

My neighbor has 3 lemon trees they never pick from. I also have free (oOOo, I said the 'F' word!) lemonade all summer!

Before packaging and shipping, the juice is then jazzed up with an added flavor pack, gleaned from orange byproducts such as the peel and pulp, to compensate for the loss of taste and aroma during the heating process.

Now I know why I like only the "pulp" variety. The others have no taste to me.

I'm filing this topic under "things I wish I didn't know."

I like frozen Minute Maid. To make it extra yummy, put in a blender with one juicy (peeled), fresh orange.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom