Orchids...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vilasman

Senior Cook
I know this is the food forum, but does anyone here have any expierence with growing orchids? I have a purple orchid cause it is wife's favorite and it actually seems to be doing well. I just want some tips on keeping it that way and my google search just turn up botanical information

I have several orchids in my greenhouse, which is adjoined to the house on the south side. Orchids are actually quite sturdy plants, although getting them to bloom is another matter.
You can find complete instructions on raising all types of orchids here:

Care of your Hausermann Orchid Cultures

If you don't know what type you have, you can look at pictures on this site and figure out what you have. If it has a big bloom, it's probably a cattlea, although not all cattleas have big blooms. The orchids you often see in Walmart are usually phaleanopsis, dendrobiums, or sometimes species orchids.

What Constance said. :)

I used to grow lots of orchids, various varieties (except Vandas since I couldn't provide enough humidity). I've stopped collecting them a few years back when I just couldn't find enough time to take care of all those beauties. :rolleyes: Now I just add to my plumeria collection every now and then.

Here are a couple more sites that might help.

Orchid Care Tips

Homegrown Gardening: Reblooming that Stubborn Orchid

Plumies, I have a small vanda that I bought on line, just to see if I could grow it. It's growing all right, but it will be a couple of years before it will be big enough to bloom. We will see what happens. Our son, who lives in Florida, grows them in his carport. No problem with humidity there.

Hi Constance, I hope that vanda does well for you. They are so beautiful when they bloom. I guess I could have set up a whole misting system but I didn't have a green house and it would have been a real pain trying to get all that set up. I'm sure your son can grow lots of beauties where he is!

I love orchids. someday I'd love to have room to grow some.

Back when I was catering in Boston, I had a client who grew them up on his roof (greenhouse). He owned a Penthouse duplex on Beacon Street with river view. Whenever we did a party at his house, we had total access to all the blossoms for our tray decorations. :D

Back
Top Bottom