Other interests besides cooking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes I know about that ridiculous law. I tend not to obey rules I do not respect. If someone is throwing something out, e.g. it is now in the skip (to be carted away soon) why would they still want to regard it as in their possession? I am supposed to knock on their door and say "do you want this piece of wood back or can I be allowed to keep it?" The skip owner, i.e. the council just dumps the stuff...not as if it goes to a shop or private safe somewhere. The rule is a farce!
Yes, in this case the law is a donkey.

As well as the Red Indian and scalping comments, I was also offended by the "obsession" with guns comment, LOL

I have been a gun owner for over 40 years and I know a LOT of gun owners. I don't see an "obsession" but rather a healthy respect and interest in firearms. Because of my direct use of a firearm, I have been able to eat hundreds of pounds of meat.

Sorry but I don't have time to list my other passions right now!;)

In US it is not illegal to carry a concealed weapon. In PA you have to have a license to carry concealed. Before DH had his "carry permit" he could have his gun in the car on the way to the shooting range, but it had to be in plain sight or in a case, in plain sight. Now he can have it in his pocket, with the permit.

I don't know the "skip" term, but if I put something out for the trash man, no one is allowed to take it except for the trash man, but that is not enforced in my community. In some others it is enforced. People come around with trucks and rummage through your trash looking for things they can use or sell, also looking for metal objects they can take to the recycling station for money.

As well as the Red Indian and scalping comments, I was also offended by the "obsession" with guns comment, LOL

I have been a gun owner for over 40 years and I know a LOT of gun owners. I don't see an "obsession" but rather a healthy respect and interest in firearms. Because of my direct use of a firearm, I have been able to eat hundreds of pounds of meat.

Sorry but I don't have time to list my other passions right now!;)

I have moved well beyond a healthy interest, I was on the phone a week before xmas, bidding on a live estate auction, 1 piece I was interested in was a Blaser Imperial r93, I had the phone on speaker and I was talking to the technician, bidders assistant, house rep, what ever you want to call her and everytime I heard her breathing move to the phone receiver my heart sank a bit because I knew it was further from my reach, I didn't win it, it closed at $71K I went to $62k and stopped, I can buy this one {although the other was in a caliber I would rather own} BLASER R93 IMPERIAL SAFARI,416 REM ( ON SALE) : Bolt Action Rifles at GunBroker.com for $60K even, and that is hand delivered, meaning they will fly it over and hand it to me personally {I have spoke to them a few times about that gun}. If I won the estate auction, I had to pay a carrier and pay for it to be packaged, etc...

So now you may say well thats not obsessed right? Well what if I told you I already own 2 of them? :( My wife calls it obsessed...

I just feel ill when people talk about guns and describing them. I have the same reaction to hearing about war on the news....I have to turn off.

I just feel ill when people talk about guns and describing them. I have the same reaction to hearing about war on the news....I have to turn off.

:yum: makes me kind of hungry, I think about all the meat they have put in my freezer, delicious back straps, turkey breasts, game hens, etc. Also make me a little sentimental, hunting with my grand father, my father, my brothers and sister, then teaching my sons the safety, respect, and responsibility of owning a firearm, going out with them their first time, first time my sons took their first bucks, my youngest was 11 and my oldest was 13. Flying to alaska with my oldest son on his 15th birthday and spending almost 2 weeks seeing the most beautiful landscapes in the world while hunting, hiking, and backpacking a place we have never been...

I also appreciate being able to own them knowing if god forbid I had to protect my family from an outside threat, I could do it efficiently with my training and arms. But for me its a lot more than the vault in my house and picking out guns to fill it with, its an investment, its protection, a hobby, and I have taken and continue to take any and all related classes and seminars I can to get even more efficient with my firearms...

Its fun, my wife is the kindest, softest person I have ever met, she wont wear wool because it comes from an animal, she hasn't eaten meat since she was under 7 years old {her choice, not her parents}!!!!!! But she loves archery and target practice with her pistols and rifles, believe it or not the BAD part of guns is a small part of guns, there are a lot more items out there hurting people than guns, granted in the wrong hands they can be devastating and dangerous, that is a shame, I agree, and war is also terrible, that goes with out saying, and if I could change that I would, while that is all true, I wouldn't turn a blind eye to it and turn off the tv when they are talking about it, IMO there are too many people doing that...

Creative, just so you and MC know, not everyone is a gun enthusiast on this side of the pond.

I've never touched a gun myself, nor do I hope I ever have to.

I do however support our right to bear arms, with restrictions.

It's the restrictions that make this a very hot topic in the USA, and quite political with huge differences of opinion. Because it is political it's not an allowed topic on DC.

Creative, just so you and MC know, not everyone is a gun enthusiast on this side of the pond.

It's the restrictions that make this a very hot topic in the USA, and quite political with huge differences of opinion. Because it is political it's not an allowed topic on DC.
Ah...thanks for putting this topic into perspective for me. I was getting a bit worried.

+1..

Interests

I am a pilot. I volunteer with Civil Air Patrol for search and rescue. I also volunteer with Angel Flight to fly patients to and from their appointments. I am going to fly my first rescue dog as part of Pilots & Paws tomorrow.
Aside from that I volunteer on a local tourist railroad.
I also am involved with an organization that feeds the needy dinner once a week. We normally feed about 300 people.
Aside from that, Kayelle and I travel.

Bless you, Souschef, Kayelle picked a good one! Looking forward to hearing how your canine passenger enjoys his/her trip!

I am a pilot. I volunteer with Civil Air Patrol for search and rescue. I also volunteer with Angel Flight to fly patients to and from their appointments. I am going to fly my first rescue dog as part of Pilots & Paws tomorrow.
Aside from that I volunteer on a local tourist railroad.
I also am involved with an organization that feeds the needy dinner once a week. We normally feed about 300 people.
Aside from that, Kayelle and I travel.

That is awesome, my uncle is a pilot also, you and he have a lot in common, he took me up in a small plane that he used to own and I would not like to do it again, I fly {as a passenger} all the time, but big planes, lol. He sold his plane years ago and now also volunteers to fly where ever he can, he says its a double bonus because he gets to help people and fly for free, lol, he used to fly skydivers for free and the company used to pay his insurance and licence fees for his trouble. Anything to get up in the air and not have to own his own plane.
he makes me believe some people are just made to do certain things, from when he was a kid they said he talked about airplanes constantly, and now you can not have a conversation wih him without him talking about flying...

Anyway good for you, I love hearing stories about the able helping others when they can...

That is awesome, my uncle is a pilot also, you and he have a lot in common, he took me up in a small plane that he used to own and I would not like to do it again, I fly {as a passenger} all the time, but big planes, lol. He sold his plane years ago and now also volunteers to fly where ever he can, he says its a double bonus because he gets to help people and fly for free, lol, he used to fly skydivers for free and the company used to pay his insurance and licence fees for his trouble. Anything to get up in the air and not have to own his own plane.
he makes me believe some people are just made to do certain things, from when he was a kid they said he talked about airplanes constantly, and now you can not have a conversation wih him without him talking about flying...

Anyway good for you, I love hearing stories about the able helping others when they can...
I once won a flying lesson in a competition at work. All the prizes in the competition were to do with flying - a helicopter flight, a trip in a balloon, paragliding, a flight simulation and this actual flying lesson. The staff were predominantly female and there was much complaining because the prizes were "all for men". Like hell they were! My colleagues were appalled when I said I was going to take it.One of them actually tried to buy the lesson off me for her son. Fat chance!

It was the most wonderful experience of my life and something I'd wanted to do since I was a little girl (I was brought up on "Biggles" and a wonderful book about a teenage girl who flew a de Havilland Gypsy Moth and had adventures in the north of Canada - boy, did I want to be that girl when I was 12 or 13!). It was a proper flying lesson too. I got to take off and land as well as fly around a bit and we did the exciting bit where the engine is turned off. By the time I got down I'd decided that I would save up, have lessons and get my pilot's licence.

Sadly, or not, as the case may be, shortly afterwards I had the chance to buy Horse so my savings went on that and the flying lessons never happened. I don't regret it (well, sometimes for a fleeting moment but I wouldn't have wanted to be without Horse).

Last edited:
I once won a flying lesson in a competition at work. All the prizes in the competition were to do with flying - a helicopter flight, a trip in a balloon, paragliding, a flight simulation and this actual flying lesson. The staff were predominantly female and there was much complaining because the prizes were "all for men". Like hell they were! My colleagues were appalled when I said I was going to take it.One of them actually tried to buy the lesson off me for her son. Fat chance!

It was the most wonderful experience of my life and something I'd wanted to do since I was a little girl (I was brought up on "Biggles" and a wonderful book about a teenage girl who flew a de Havilland Gypsy Moth and had adventures in the north of Canada - boy, did I want to be that girl when I was 12 or 13!). It was a proper flying lesson too. I got to take off and land as well as fly around a bit and we did the exciting bit where the engine is turned off. By the time I got down I'd decided that I would save up, have lessons and get my pilot's licence.

Sadly, or not, as the case may be, shortly afterwards I had the chance to buy Horse so my savings went on that and the flying lessons never happened. I don't regret it (well, sometimes for a fleeting moment but I wouldn't have wanted to be without Horse).

I would have loved winning any of those options. My grandfather had a small airplane (many moons ago), alas I never met him.

A horse vs flying lessons would be a tough decision.

I am sure you made the right decision, my father has 6 horses, my sons get so excited when there is a new foal being born {they had 2 last year}. I love them horses and my wife wanted to put a stable in when we built this house, but i decided against it because its a lot of work and I can just go to my fathers house, lol...
I think horses are the only animal with more of whatever that is that makes us love them than a dog...

Pilots & Paws

I just completed my first P&P flight. It was to get a rescue female doberman up to Northern California. I took her as far as San Luis Obispo and met another pilot taking her North.

Mad,
Years ago I was in Oxford visiting Blenheim Palace, and noticed small planes flying over. I saw a sign for Kidlington Airport, and stopped in to enquire about renting a plane. I went up with an instructor, flew over the Palace with its lakes and gardens, then just flew around the countryside for an hour. It was great, after putting 1000 miles on a rental car driving on the left side of the road.
My late wife and I developed names for each other on that trip- Get Over and Shut Up:ohmy:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom