"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-28-2015, 11:14 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Bless you, Souschef, Kayelle picked a good one! Looking forward to hearing how your canine passenger enjoys his/her trip!

Old 01-29-2015, 06:20 AM   #32
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
I am a pilot. I volunteer with Civil Air Patrol for search and rescue. I also volunteer with Angel Flight to fly patients to and from their appointments. I am going to fly my first rescue dog as part of Pilots & Paws tomorrow.
Aside from that I volunteer on a local tourist railroad.
I also am involved with an organization that feeds the needy dinner once a week. We normally feed about 300 people.
Aside from that, Kayelle and I travel.
That is awesome, my uncle is a pilot also, you and he have a lot in common, he took me up in a small plane that he used to own and I would not like to do it again, I fly {as a passenger} all the time, but big planes, lol. He sold his plane years ago and now also volunteers to fly where ever he can, he says its a double bonus because he gets to help people and fly for free, lol, he used to fly skydivers for free and the company used to pay his insurance and licence fees for his trouble. Anything to get up in the air and not have to own his own plane.
he makes me believe some people are just made to do certain things, from when he was a kid they said he talked about airplanes constantly, and now you can not have a conversation wih him without him talking about flying...

Anyway good for you, I love hearing stories about the able helping others when they can...

Old 01-29-2015, 11:23 AM   #33
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking4to View Post
That is awesome, my uncle is a pilot also, you and he have a lot in common, he took me up in a small plane that he used to own and I would not like to do it again, I fly {as a passenger} all the time, but big planes, lol. He sold his plane years ago and now also volunteers to fly where ever he can, he says its a double bonus because he gets to help people and fly for free, lol, he used to fly skydivers for free and the company used to pay his insurance and licence fees for his trouble. Anything to get up in the air and not have to own his own plane.
he makes me believe some people are just made to do certain things, from when he was a kid they said he talked about airplanes constantly, and now you can not have a conversation wih him without him talking about flying...

Anyway good for you, I love hearing stories about the able helping others when they can...
I once won a flying lesson in a competition at work. All the prizes in the competition were to do with flying - a helicopter flight, a trip in a balloon, paragliding, a flight simulation and this actual flying lesson. The staff were predominantly female and there was much complaining because the prizes were "all for men". Like hell they were! My colleagues were appalled when I said I was going to take it.One of them actually tried to buy the lesson off me for her son. Fat chance!

It was the most wonderful experience of my life and something I'd wanted to do since I was a little girl (I was brought up on "Biggles" and a wonderful book about a teenage girl who flew a de Havilland Gypsy Moth and had adventures in the north of Canada - boy, did I want to be that girl when I was 12 or 13!). It was a proper flying lesson too. I got to take off and land as well as fly around a bit and we did the exciting bit where the engine is turned off. By the time I got down I'd decided that I would save up, have lessons and get my pilot's licence.

Sadly, or not, as the case may be, shortly afterwards I had the chance to buy Horse so my savings went on that and the flying lessons never happened. I don't regret it (well, sometimes for a fleeting moment but I wouldn't have wanted to be without Horse).
Old 01-29-2015, 12:36 PM   #34
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I once won a flying lesson in a competition at work. All the prizes in the competition were to do with flying - a helicopter flight, a trip in a balloon, paragliding, a flight simulation and this actual flying lesson. The staff were predominantly female and there was much complaining because the prizes were "all for men". Like hell they were! My colleagues were appalled when I said I was going to take it.One of them actually tried to buy the lesson off me for her son. Fat chance!

It was the most wonderful experience of my life and something I'd wanted to do since I was a little girl (I was brought up on "Biggles" and a wonderful book about a teenage girl who flew a de Havilland Gypsy Moth and had adventures in the north of Canada - boy, did I want to be that girl when I was 12 or 13!). It was a proper flying lesson too. I got to take off and land as well as fly around a bit and we did the exciting bit where the engine is turned off. By the time I got down I'd decided that I would save up, have lessons and get my pilot's licence.

Sadly, or not, as the case may be, shortly afterwards I had the chance to buy Horse so my savings went on that and the flying lessons never happened. I don't regret it (well, sometimes for a fleeting moment but I wouldn't have wanted to be without Horse).
I would have loved winning any of those options. My grandfather had a small airplane (many moons ago), alas I never met him.

A horse vs flying lessons would be a tough decision.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:57 PM   #35
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post

I am sure you made the right decision, my father has 6 horses, my sons get so excited when there is a new foal being born {they had 2 last year}. I love them horses and my wife wanted to put a stable in when we built this house, but i decided against it because its a lot of work and I can just go to my fathers house, lol...
I think horses are the only animal with more of whatever that is that makes us love them than a dog...
Old 01-29-2015, 06:16 PM   #36
Senior Cook

Pilots & Paws

I just completed my first P&P flight. It was to get a rescue female doberman up to Northern California. I took her as far as San Luis Obispo and met another pilot taking her North.

Mad,
Years ago I was in Oxford visiting Blenheim Palace, and noticed small planes flying over. I saw a sign for Kidlington Airport, and stopped in to enquire about renting a plane. I went up with an instructor, flew over the Palace with its lakes and gardens, then just flew around the countryside for an hour. It was great, after putting 1000 miles on a rental car driving on the left side of the road.
My late wife and I developed names for each other on that trip- Get Over and Shut Up

Tags
cook, cooking, other, sides