"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-26-2015, 08:17 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Other interests besides cooking?

I imagine we have more in common than just cooking, what are some of your other interests?
here are some of my interests...
I am an avid motorcyclist, I love all aspects of it, from riding to building.

I also love cars, I especially like late 60's and early 70's muscle cars and 30's-early 40's hot rods, I built a 39 ford hot rod, fuel injected, a/c, disc brakes, etc. Pretty much an all steel 1939 ford turned into a new car, and I have a 70 coronet r/t, 69 z29 {302dz car}, and a couple works in progress.

Next would be hunting and fishing, I do this as much as I can, from the local stuff to getting on a plane with my dog and going to Italy to hunt their skys. I also love my dogs, they are hunting dogs, but they are also like children.

Guns, I am passionate about firearms, I know this is getting to be taboo, especially since I am in CT, but there is something about a 500 nitro express Blaser or a Beretta o/u that makes me feel good. I am really crazy about 1911's, anyone who knows guns will know what all that stuff is...

I guess that last one would be music, I play as much as I can and I am crazy about high end audio systems, I have a separate stereo in almost every single room of my house, had to take out a separate insurance rider to cover it all. It relaxes me and I am like a little kid with this stuff.

heres some pics of my passions...

If your not a gun person this will be gibberish, but heres some of my 1911's, theres a couple DW's in there, a Bill Wilson carry, Les Baer, my Ed Brown, then a colt and some Sigs...

Heres a picture of some of my bikes, the black chopper is still NOT finished and this picture is over a year old, lol.. You can see my victories and hayabusa on the back wall, I also have a couple Harleys I no longer ride and another chopper I finished in 09...

Heres a picture of the parlor in my guest suite, its here I test out new speakers and equipment I get, since my wife is not a fan of me moving speakers in and out of where we live, lol I have a setup similar to this in about every room, dining room, living room, formal parlor, bedroom, loft, gym, garage, its a sickness...

heres a pic of the pups, Jasper and Fiona {there names are much longer but thats what we call them, lol}

Jas on his b-day, this was our old house, no sitting on the furniture in the new house, my wife put an end to that, but I had him trained, he would sit at the table and eat with us, , not all the time, but if I put his bowl on the table he would get on the chair and sit there, then he would only start eating when I did... I know he looks like a normal dog, but hes a dual champion, his puppies sold for as much as $8500 and were shipped as far as India, he is an amazing hunter, although now one of his daughters comes hunting much more than him, I still take him out pretty often, he has hunted with me on 3 continents!!! I love this dog more than some people...

Thats enough pictures and thanks for reading through, so what are some of your interests and hobbies?

Old 01-26-2015, 09:11 AM   #2
Senior Cook

I make custom turkey calls, I love to hunt, fish, and we just got a new puppy Sadie, who keeps me very busy.

Old 01-26-2015, 01:14 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I find it interesting that you have many of the same interests as I. My husband and I have nice old Harley (Old Blue) that he "created" from the ground up. He bought the frame after the original bike had been in a huge fire. You'd never know it now. We love to ride and take out the bike as often as possible.

We/I also love firearms. I bought myself a Smith & Wesson .38 special last spring just before I had hand surgery and haven't been able to play with it as much as I would like. My hand is almost brand new now. Yipee!!!!

We're not into vehicles as much as we used to be. For most of his working life he owned/operated his own custom shop where he built and restored just about anything that had wheels. One of the last things he did was a complete authentic Mustang like the one in Gone in 60 Seconds. Well, at least as authentic as the parts available and as the customer's budget allowed. He gave the business to his only son about 5 years ago and it's still going strong.

The real silver lining in my husband's talents is that, no matter what, our vehicles can be maintained or repaired, be it body or mechanical. Yeah!! Plus, he's a real perfectionist. He could install a carburetor up your nose and you wouldn't even sneeze. I won't even tell you how picky he is when it comes to body work. His finishes are like glass and there is never any indication that paint has been blended if there was a partial repair.

Other interests I have are gardening, both flower and veggie. Love to be outside when permissible. This weather we've been having now makes me crazy and I can't wait for spring.

I'm an avid reader and read just about anything. It's not unusual for me to have at least 3 books "working," including one on audio.

I love to design. Am a retired interior designer and have been having some of the most fun of my life since retirement. No more deadlines and picky clients. I just do creative things for us and "special" friends/customers.

Also enjoy building stuff and love, love, love tools. Currently, I'm drawing up a small end table for my mother-in-law and have begun making a custom ottoman for our living room. Christmas 2013 my husband gave me a small circular saw for Christmas. Maybe I can talk him into getting me a radial arm saw next year.

Cooking is another passion, which is one of the reasons I'm a DCer. My cooking toys are going to take over the house. Glenn even built me a special "pot locker" in the utility room for my large assortment of pots, pans, baking sheets, etc. It has been nothing short of a godsend! All I have to do is to open the double doors wide and I can see everything inside.

Music isn't as important to me as it used to be, although I have been known to crank up the system and get lost in some form of lyrical pleasure.

Spent many, many years of my life as a writer and had a syndicated newspaper column for 11 years. It was fun and I particularly enjoyed it because it gave an outlet for my insatiable curiosity about anything. Fortunately, curiosity hasn't killed this cat...yet.

Always have had pets and, at times, seemed as though I was running a zoo rather than a household of humans. Currently, we have one nutty 2-year-old boxer and two ultra-spoiled indoor kitties. About every other week, we also have our granddog who comes to visit with our pooch. They were puppies together and are like a pair of children when they get together. Play, play, play........

Throw in sewing, knitting, crocheting and just about any form of needlework and that about rounds me out. I'm sure I've forgotten something, but this will have to do for now.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:42 PM   #4
Master Chef

I'm a hoarder!

I collect things relating to my local area. Things like books, maps, coin banks, paperweights, breweriana, souvenir spoons, ephemera, Syracuse China, postcards, butter crocks, bottles!

This year I'm learning how to repair paper items and book bindings. I'm hoping that this will help wean me away from cooking and food related projects.

Old 01-26-2015, 03:25 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking4to View Post
I imagine we have more in common than just cooking, what are some of your other interests?
here are some of my interests...
I am an avid motorcyclist, I love all aspects of it, from riding to building.

I also love cars, I especially like late 60's and early 70's muscle cars and 30's-early 40's hot rods, I built a 39 ford hot rod, fuel injected, a/c, disc brakes, etc. Pretty much an all steel 1939 ford turned into a new car, and I have a 70 coronet r/t, 69 z29 {302dz car}, and a couple works in progress.

Next would be hunting and fishing, I do this as much as I can, from the local stuff to getting on a plane with my dog and going to Italy to hunt their skys. I also love my dogs, they are hunting dogs, but they are also like children.

Guns, I am passionate about firearms, I know this is getting to be taboo, especially since I am in CT, but there is something about a 500 nitro express Blaser or a Beretta o/u that makes me feel good. I am really crazy about 1911's, anyone who knows guns will know what all that stuff is...

I guess that last one would be music, I play as much as I can and I am crazy about high end audio systems, I have a separate stereo in almost every single room of my house, had to take out a separate insurance rider to cover it all. It relaxes me and I am like a little kid with this stuff.

heres some pics of my passions...

If your not a gun person this will be gibberish, but heres some of my 1911's, theres a couple DW's in there, a Bill Wilson carry, Les Baer, my Ed Brown, then a colt and some Sigs...

Heres a picture of some of my bikes, the black chopper is still NOT finished and this picture is over a year old, lol.. You can see my victories and hayabusa on the back wall, I also have a couple Harleys I no longer ride and another chopper I finished in 09...

Heres a picture of the parlor in my guest suite, its here I test out new speakers and equipment I get, since my wife is not a fan of me moving speakers in and out of where we live, lol I have a setup similar to this in about every room, dining room, living room, formal parlor, bedroom, loft, gym, garage, its a sickness...

heres a pic of the pups, Jasper and Fiona {there names are much longer but thats what we call them, lol}

Jas on his b-day, this was our old house, no sitting on the furniture in the new house, my wife put an end to that, but I had him trained, he would sit at the table and eat with us, , not all the time, but if I put his bowl on the table he would get on the chair and sit there, then he would only start eating when I did... I know he looks like a normal dog, but hes a dual champion, his puppies sold for as much as $8500 and were shipped as far as India, he is an amazing hunter, although now one of his daughters comes hunting much more than him, I still take him out pretty often, he has hunted with me on 3 continents!!! I love this dog more than some people...

Thats enough pictures and thanks for reading through, so what are some of your interests and hobbies?

DH? Is that you?
Old 01-26-2015, 05:34 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmaker60 View Post
I make custom turkey calls, I love to hunt, fish, and we just got a new puppy Sadie, who keeps me very busy.
Do you sell these turkey calls, I would love to see one? I currently use an old box I've had for years...
Old 01-26-2015, 05:42 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
I find it interesting that you have many of the same interests as I. My husband and I have nice old Harley (Old Blue) that he "created" from the ground up. He bought the frame after the original bike had been in a huge fire. You'd never know it now. We love to ride and take out the bike as often as possible.

We/I also love firearms. I bought myself a Smith & Wesson .38 special last spring just before I had hand surgery and haven't been able to play with it as much as I would like. My hand is almost brand new now. Yipee!!!!

We're not into vehicles as much as we used to be. For most of his working life he owned/operated his own custom shop where he built and restored just about anything that had wheels. One of the last things he did was a complete authentic Mustang like the one in Gone in 60 Seconds. Well, at least as authentic as the parts available and as the customer's budget allowed. He gave the business to his only son about 5 years ago and it's still going strong.

The real silver lining in my husband's talents is that, no matter what, our vehicles can be maintained or repaired, be it body or mechanical. Yeah!! Plus, he's a real perfectionist. He could install a carburetor up your nose and you wouldn't even sneeze. I won't even tell you how picky he is when it comes to body work. His finishes are like glass and there is never any indication that paint has been blended if there was a partial repair.

Other interests I have are gardening, both flower and veggie. Love to be outside when permissible. This weather we've been having now makes me crazy and I can't wait for spring.

I'm an avid reader and read just about anything. It's not unusual for me to have at least 3 books "working," including one on audio.

I love to design. Am a retired interior designer and have been having some of the most fun of my life since retirement. No more deadlines and picky clients. I just do creative things for us and "special" friends/customers.

Also enjoy building stuff and love, love, love tools. Currently, I'm drawing up a small end table for my mother-in-law and have begun making a custom ottoman for our living room. Christmas 2013 my husband gave me a small circular saw for Christmas. Maybe I can talk him into getting me a radial arm saw next year.

Cooking is another passion, which is one of the reasons I'm a DCer. My cooking toys are going to take over the house. Glenn even built me a special "pot locker" in the utility room for my large assortment of pots, pans, baking sheets, etc. It has been nothing short of a godsend! All I have to do is to open the double doors wide and I can see everything inside.

Music isn't as important to me as it used to be, although I have been known to crank up the system and get lost in some form of lyrical pleasure.

Spent many, many years of my life as a writer and had a syndicated newspaper column for 11 years. It was fun and I particularly enjoyed it because it gave an outlet for my insatiable curiosity about anything. Fortunately, curiosity hasn't killed this cat...yet.

Always have had pets and, at times, seemed as though I was running a zoo rather than a household of humans. Currently, we have one nutty 2-year-old boxer and two ultra-spoiled indoor kitties. About every other week, we also have our granddog who comes to visit with our pooch. They were puppies together and are like a pair of children when they get together. Play, play, play........

Throw in sewing, knitting, crocheting and just about any form of needlework and that about rounds me out. I'm sure I've forgotten something, but this will have to do for now.
That is so funny, my wife loves crocheting, she is doing it right NOW, lol, she is making a friend of mines new baby a little hat with headphones built in {not real headphones, Ill post a pic when shes done}...

Congrats on the SW revolver and your hand recovering, I had a serious hand injury a while back, I have 2 fingers that dont quite work right one is pinned together and crooked as the devil himself but at least they aren't in some landfill somewhere, lol. You did good with a SW revolver, life time warranty and one of the best revolvers on the market, I have some pictures of mine but photobucket isnt working for some reason... I have a vault for my gun storage and I go in there and get lost for hours, I also make my own ammo...
Old 01-26-2015, 05:48 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Cooking and eating, incl baking, preserving, etc., and when I'm not cooking I read cookery books

Then there's Horse and I've re-discovered knitting over the last couple of years. I do a lot of reading, I make a lot of my own greetings cards, I do a bit needlepoint and I used to make most of my own clothes but have got out of the habit since I seem to live in jodhpurs and fleeces these days.

I'm very boring really. I'm practising to be an old lady. I'll be 80 in 15 years time so I need to get organised.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:02 PM   #9
Master Chef

I also own several handguns but I'm not into them. I bought them many years ago when several friends and I used to go to indoor shooting ranges. But I do carry a concealed hand gun (illegally) as I own a small business.
My "current" and "active" hobbies are astronomy (I have a backyard observatory), been at that for 15 yrs, cycling- about 25 yrs, and just recently got into n-scale model railroading. I also love to hike.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:24 PM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I have a SW .357 and a Ruger Bearcat .22. Been shooting since before I could drive.

Reading, books, music...I married a musician.

Nursing and working with the Elderly, I really enjoy (if you can enjoy death) working with "End of Life" patients.

Tags
cook, cooking, other, sides