Otis is gone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyCook61

Master Chef
:cry: Remember I posted about Otis the outside cat ? He was brought to the vet to be checked out for diseases and get fixed... test results showed he has contagious disease which is not curable so the awful decision was made to have him put down. Hubby and I are very sad , we had grown to love this cat . Hubby will bring him home and he will be buried by our other furbabies under the pine tree.

Last edited:
LC,
I'm so sorry. At least you took the time to adopt Otis and have him looked after..Just think how awful his outcome would have been if left to just wander..You gave love..Miss him but know you saved him pain.
kades

I am really terribly sorry for you. :(

We had a foster dog Otis recently, he was/is in good health & adopted out. But it killed me to let him go.

I feel very sad for you. It is not easy to make that kind of decision. But if he had lived longer, he could have caused the illness and death of other of your fur babies, and that would have been even worse. :ohmy:

Sending you hugs.

thank you everyone. Otis was never in contact with my indoor cats and hubby and I always washed our hands thoroughly after feeding the cat. I told hubby to clean the carrier out with bleach. Also our clothing is washed in bleach and detergent.

We ran into that disease too. My daughter fell in love with a stray, he was a beautiful cat. I told her that he had to go to the vet first and get his shots before we could expose him to the other 7 kitties. We took him, they ran the tests and gave us the bad news. I had him put down and we brought him back home to bury. This disease seems to run in pods or groups. I'm so sorry for you all, I know how how it hurts.

I'm sorry you lost him. You did right by taking him to the vet. I have an outside cat that I'm going to be taking next month. You probably saved him months or years of living sick.

Photo of Otis

Photo taken Jan. 22, 2007 . Hubby is upset , he thinks we should not have put Otis down. After researching about FIV (Feline Aids) the Cornell Vet College says cats can live months . I told hubby that Otis was in bad shape, the wound behind his ear would not heal, and his fur was starting to looking really bad. Even tho Otis was eating and drinking with no problem , I still think it was a wise decision, I do feel bad and miss him. I keep going to the door looking for him , even tho I know he is gone. :(

Otis was a scrappy-looking guy! You absolutely did the right thing. He may have lived on for awhile, but he could have been infecting other cats in the area, and he would not have had a good quality of life - the condition of his coat and the sore that would not heal show that his immune system was failing. You took good care of him - please don't second guess your decision.

LC, I am so sorry for your loss. But commend you for giving Otis the care and love you did. {{{{{{{{{{LC and Hubby}}}}}}}}}}

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom