Ouch!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PieSusan

Washing Up
I burnt my left middle finger on boiling chicken soup. I am in the midst of making matzoh balls and needed some soup to add to the matzoh ball batter and my finger got in the way.
Sigh, how stupid can one be? Cold water did nothing! I think I need ice.

Ouie sorry Susan, please be careful and feel better soon.
kadesma

I read thru it but didn't see where it said not to apply ice? When I or anyone else gets minor burns here we run under cool water for a couple of minutes, then into a cup of cool water for 15 minutes. Then later when it is hurting or throbbing put ice on it to dull the pain.

I wanted to make Lou a meatball sandwich...so I opened the roll and placed three meatballs down the center of it. I wanted to add a bit more sauce to the top...so I took the open, filled roll to the sauce pot..(still simmering, by the way). Holding the sandwich over the pot, (so any that dripped would drip back in:wacko:) I proceeded to ladle the sauce on top. It did drip, indeed, right down the back of my hand, and in between three of my fingers:furious:. I had to keep an anesthetic on my skin for three days.

Burns....awful.

here buddy. this one is better.

For minor burns, including first-degree burns and second-degree burns limited to an area no larger than 3 inches (7.5 centimeters) in diameter, take the following action:

Cool the burn. Hold the burned area under cold running water for at least five minutes, or until the pain subsides. If this is impractical, immerse the burn in cold water or cool it with cold compresses. Cooling the burn reduces swelling by conducting heat away from the skin. Don't put ice on the burn.
Cover the burn with a sterile gauze bandage. Don't use fluffy cotton, which may irritate the skin. Wrap the gauze loosely to avoid putting pressure on burned skin. Bandaging keeps air off the burned skin, reduces pain and protects blistered skin.
Take an over-the-counter pain reliever. These include aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, others), naproxen (Aleve) or acetaminophen (Tylenol, others). Never give aspirin to children or teenagers.
Minor burns usually heal without further treatment. They may heal with pigment changes, meaning the healed area may be a different color from the surrounding skin. Watch for signs of infection, such as increased pain, redness, fever, swelling or oozing. If infection develops, seek medical help. Avoid re-injuring or tanning if the burns are less than a year old — doing so may cause more extensive pigmentation changes. Use sunscreen on the area for at least a year.

Caution

Don't use ice. Putting ice directly on a burn can cause frostbite, further damaging your skin.
Don't apply butter or ointments to the burn. This could prevent proper healing.
Don't break blisters. Broken blisters are vulnerable to infection.

Thanks Stacy! Looks like I was OK except for the ice part, and also no gauze but we do have the no stick band aids.. I wonder if that is OK? Oh, and we do keep antibiotic cream on hand and use it.
But yes, ouch I hate em even more than paper cuts!

Oy Vay!!!!......Vitamin E......do you have any capsules?....stick a pin in one and let the liquid dribble onto the burn......hope it heals quickly!!!

Back
Top Bottom