Our annual Christmas buffet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Barbara L ....speaking of wasabi.....
One evening I was at a restaurant with some friends. We were eating appetizers, Karen, who was sitting across from me picked up a whopping forkfull of wasabi thinking it was avocado. As she saw the inside of her nostrils she coughed and blew that big ball of fire across the table where it landed on the floor behind me.
We still tease her about that night.
Oh yikes, I can imagine!

My daughter just told me something she did when her youngest, Hannah, was (I think) around 9 months old. They were on their way to Las Vegas to see her in-laws. Hannah got fussy, and Nancy realized that she was hungry. She grabbed the container she had put cottage cheese in and gave Hannah a spoonful of it. Hannah spit it out and got really fussy. Nancy tried another spoonful and another, with the same results. She was determined to get Hannah to eat. Then she realized the cottage cheese looked kind of funny (they were in the car so it wasn't real light). She looked closer and smelled it. She was giving Hannah horseradish! Poor kid!

:)Barbara

In case anyone is interested, I just posted my family's favorite bean recipe. enjoy.

subscribed.gif
Family favorite crock-pot beans

Oh, they sound delicious. I think this is what I will take this year....don't even think I will hide the carrots in the car!

chef, you're right------you're lazy........BUT in your defense if you're tired of making the beans make them one last time.......festive them up a bit --------print out so long farewell.......goodbye to the memories, etc, and tell them that you are going to do something different even if it's to put a relish dish together or open a few bags of chips with bean dip, etc, etc,.........you've given them your recipe and someone else of the younger set can make them........better yet invite one of them over for an afternoon of bonding and show them how to make them..........then they take the tradition over.........beans from scratch are time-consuming..........I was just teasing you about being lazy..........

What a wonderful idea! I love it!

Okay, so chefmaloney will take Laurie's carrots and Laurie will take chefmaloney's beans! :chef: It's settled! :LOL:

:)Barbara

I'm good. Okay, Laurie I need your carrots recipe :-p

I might add that the beans freeze well. I freeze them in portions in baggies and reheat on stovetop or microwave with a few drops of water added :)

I never have not frozen beans too much - oh yea chili :) Late to this and to welcome chefmaloney. I have similar family issues, must have certain dishes every year. Gets so boring. But then I see the grandkids face light up and I'm good with it.

I'm good. Okay, Laurie I need your carrots recipe :-p

I might add that the beans freeze well. I freeze them in portions in baggies and reheat on stovetop or microwave with a few drops of water added :)

Sorry for taking so long, Chef, but things have been chaotic here. Anyway, it is really easy. I usually cut my carrots on an angle and to make them fancy I have a ripple cutter, but just plain is fine. Boil or steam them as you normally would. For a recipe for 6 (which I have to triple), I use 1/4 cup of butter, 2 packed TBSP brown sugar and 2 teaspoons dijon mustard. Melt that all together and mix it into the cooked drained carrots and there you have it.

See, why that would be come such an important dish I have no idea!!!:rolleyes:

Thank you very much. So easy? I want to make them right now but will have to wait till the weekend when I go to the market :)

Yes the beans will freeze fine. Just don't beat them up when you re-heat :)

Back
Top Bottom