"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-14-2008, 06:48 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Our annual Christmas buffet

Each Christmas my family gathers and we each bring a dish.
It's our Thanksgiving. I love all the family, company, togetherness.
Seems like everyone just loves the dish that each family member brings to the buffet and we can't break tradition because everyone would be disappointed if someone brought something different.
We all look forward to my mothers candied ham, gramma's corn casserole, sister-in-laws broccoli & cheese bake, etc.........
Everyone seems to like my crock-pot bean recipe.
Just once I'd love to bring something different but I know I would catch H_ LL if I tried it.
One year I printed my bean recipe and handed it to everyone just in case they wanted to try it themselves sometime other than at Christmas.
Guess I'm just getting old and lazy

Old 11-14-2008, 06:55 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
so..bring two things. The beans that everyone NEEEEDS and introduce a new dish for them to fall in love with!

Old 11-14-2008, 07:01 PM   #3
Executive Chef

I agree - take along an extra dish for everyone else to try.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:42 PM   #4
Master Chef

chef, you're right------you're lazy........BUT in your defense if you're tired of making the beans make them one last time.......festive them up a bit --------print out so long farewell.......goodbye to the memories, etc, and tell them that you are going to do something different even if it's to put a relish dish together or open a few bags of chips with bean dip, etc, etc,.........you've given them your recipe and someone else of the younger set can make them........better yet invite one of them over for an afternoon of bonding and show them how to make them..........then they take the tradition over.........beans from scratch are time-consuming..........I was just teasing you about being lazy..........
Old 11-14-2008, 07:51 PM   #5
Master Chef

I would make whatever the heck you want and too poo with them. It's about family and friends getting together, that is why we love the holiday. That is what you can tell them too. Next year, you will send the beans and stay at home and relax!! HEHEHE
Old 11-14-2008, 09:25 PM   #6
Traveling Welcome Wagon

The first question to ask yourself is, what will my reaction be if my sister-in-law doesn't bring her broccoli and cheese bake? Or, what will my reaction be if gramma doesn't bring her corn casserole?

If everyone really is locked onto this menu, you might want to make a few calls and find out if it would bother anyone if you brought something different. Or, as has been said, you can bring something new in addition to your regular contribution. And of course, you could just shake things up and bring something new, along with extra copies of your bean recipe.

Barbara
Old 11-14-2008, 09:31 PM   #7
Head Chef

I'd make the bean dish and something new then you can tell them you're only going to bring one dish next year and ask them which they would rather have.
Old 11-14-2008, 09:52 PM   #8
Master Chef

As long as there's enough booze I don't care what they bring!
Old 11-14-2008, 10:03 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Why not do 2 things ? That way you have your old traditional favorites, and maybe a new one too ?
Old 11-14-2008, 10:24 PM   #10
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
I'd make the bean dish and something new then you can tell them you're only going to bring one dish next year and ask them which they would rather have.
Great idea!

Barbara